advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gawddamn it! Problem with "kernel_task" again...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 18, 2005 01:00PM
It's using up about 100% of my CPU cycles, according to Activity Monitor (I have a dual G4, so that's about one whole processor's worth of cycles, right?)...

I've tried everything I can think of to fix it-- what seemed to work for awhile was doing Cocktail's pilot routines, then Disk Warrior on the drive-- then the problem went away, only to come back again. So it seems to be happening sporadically. (Maybe a piece of software corrupting a file somewhere?)

The only other thing I've read about this is that it's sometimes caused by having too many things open automatically at login (??? why should that cause it?) ... so that will be my next thing to try.

Any other ideas?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gawddamn it! Problem with "kernel_task" again...
Date: December 18, 2005 01:20PM
Forgot to include:

For anyone interested, here's where I read it could be caused by having too many things open at launch: [forums.macosxhints.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 18, 2005 02:12PM
Do you know what exactly you have that opens at launch. If so, could you try disabling them one by one. Sort of like when you would have an extension conflict in 9. That's all I can think of. Sorry if that isn't helpful.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: December 18, 2005 02:42PM
Yes, I've now set for nothing really to open at launch... we'll see if that does it.

I also just did DiskWarrior again-- it seems to have fixed it, but we'll see. (I did notice that right after booting following fixing with DiskWarrior, there was a brief spike in kernel_task for a moment while I was opening apps manually-- I wonder then if the problem is really a transient one, e.g., it's caused by particular applications or something like that.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 309
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018