advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
do consistent streaks on laser printout indicate a drum issue?
Posted by: clay
Date: December 20, 2008 11:03PM
Recently my Brother HL-1440 has been printing some fairly significant smudgy lines on both the left and right side of each printed page. Does that indicate that I need to replace the drum? I refilled the toner probably 3-4 months ago for the first time, but this issue seems to have crept up within the past month. I'm not a heavy user, so it could have been there since I changed it, but I think I would have noticed.

any thoughts? Should I spring for a new drum unit?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: do consistent streaks on laser printout indicate a drum issue?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 20, 2008 11:08PM
Yea, probably needs a new drum. Is the drum separate from the toner cartridge in that model? Did you replace the toner cart or just refill it with one of those kits? If it was a refill kit the toner may be sub quality and causing problems.
Date: December 20, 2008 11:17PM
yes and yes. drum is separate, and I did refill from a refill kit. maybe I'll look into a new drum to see if that takes care of the quality issue. and then if it doesn't take care of it totally, get a new toner unit as well.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: December 20, 2008 11:27PM
I hate to say it but a new printer might cost less than a drum and toner?

This is the current model of what you have...

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: artie67
Date: December 20, 2008 11:37PM
Samsung 2510 had similar issues. Tried "cleaning sheets" to no real avail. Replaced almost empty toner cart with generic and solved the issue. Great prints of text and crosswords etc.
Date: December 20, 2008 11:38PM
yup--I'm definitely looking at overall cost for a potential new drum/toner. I think I bought my printer about 4-5 years ago for $99 on a Black Friday sale. So, I've definitely gotten my money's worth.

I would actually probably go for that printer with the network printing capability:
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: swampy
Date: December 21, 2008 06:30AM
One advantage of the HP printers is that the drum is part of the toner cartridge. If there is a problem with the drum you can just replace the whole toner unit. With moderate use, I can get about 8-10 months of printing out of a cartridge. About $100 to replace.

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Posted by: Doc
Date: December 21, 2008 08:36AM
> Samsung 2510 had similar issues. Tried "cleaning sheets" to no real avail.

BUT do try those laser cleaning sheets. Most of the time, streaks and specks are just dust gunking up the works.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 21, 2008 11:39AM
Clay,

On many lower end printers the cost of toner and/or replacement drums is more than a replacement printer. This is especially true when you factor in coupons for store likes Staples and/or rebates. For example..

[P1606:CL142045" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.staples.com] This Samsung model is only $49.99 after rebate and that's not factoring in discount coupons/codes.

[P1606:CL142044confused smileyS1039375" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.staples.com] This one is only $99 after rebate and that's not factoring in coupons and codes.

(I don't know if Samsung supports the Mac these days. I'm just using them as examples of the deals that can be had if you look around a bit. Deals can be found for Brother, HP and other brands, too)

Or, if you don't have one, this is a good time to consider an all-in-one. At the least, it'll make a good laser printer. But, these days, I can't imagine not having a copier and/or fax machine in my household. They are very useful and definitely worthwhile.

Robert
Date: December 21, 2008 04:38PM
Thanks for the info, Robert M. That's what I'm finding out as well.... I may see if there's any way to clean my drum unit to at least get me through the holidays on this printer, and then keep my eyes open for a printer deal in the next couple of months. I hate putting much money (even sub-$100) into a device that doesn't really get a lot of use (maybe 2000 sheets printed per year), and I'd like to get as much life out of this one as possible. I rarely need to print anything for anyone else, so appearance only matters so much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 249
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018