Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.50 ( +0.25 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dried Fruits without added sugar?
Posted by: TLB
Date: December 23, 2008 01:34PM
I really like dried fruits, but unfortunately I started reading the labels. It seems most of the mainstream grocery dried fruits have a lot of added sugars, over and above the natural sugars of the fruit. Can I get dried fruit without added sugar or at least with as little as possible? Any advice would be appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dried Fruits without added sugar?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 23, 2008 02:02PM
at home
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: clay
Date: December 23, 2008 02:05PM
Yup, that's the type of thing I was going to suggest, too, Rolando. I've had great luck drying fruits and vegetables for various uses--apples, tomatoes, etc. It's a lot healthier than buying them, and you know what's in them as well. You'd probably have to do a good bit of drying in order for it to be cheaper than buying dried fruit, but it might be worth it overall.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: December 23, 2008 02:53PM
Perhaps there is a reason they add sugar. If they don't, it won't taste good. Or am I wrong?
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: December 23, 2008 03:40PM
We just bought a dehydrator recently, and have had good results with the limited use so far.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 23, 2008 06:39PM
Trader Joe's has some with no/very little sugar. Asian groceries and health food stores often have greater selection than the local supermarket.

Some fruits do better than others with dehydration w/o sugar. Apples, pineapple, mango, papaya, grapes, apricots, plums do OK. Berries like cherries, blueberries, etc. don't hold up as well and need some syrup to keep them from crumbling.

Good luck!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: macnut
Date: December 23, 2008 06:52PM
Second Trader Joe's if you live near one.

Here's a great place online. Quality is superb and prices competitive. It's not economical to place a small order, though, because of shipping costs.

[www.nutsonline.com]

They have dried fruits, nuts, coffee, tea, etc.
Posted by: dmann
Date: December 23, 2008 09:20PM
Many of Trader Joe's dried fruits are also sulfite free.

DM
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 26, 2008 08:58PM
I've been getting dried fruits at Trader Joe's, some to add in when I make oatmeal (the dried cherries/blueberries/strawberries mix is great in oatmeal). Lots of unsulphured/sulfite-free fruits available, which is very important if you have asthma. Steer clear of any dried fruits that are too brightly colored: they are loaded with sulfites to preserve color (and close your airways).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login