advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
CHALLAHlujah! I just baked my first loaf of bread!!!
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 30, 2008 03:47PM

I received a Cuisinart bread maker for Christmas and I finally baked my first loaf of bread. I have had a terrible cold and really haven't felt like doing anything, but I decided I couldn't wait any longer. I used the Challah recipe from the book that came with the machine and you can see what my first effort looked like when it was fresh out of the pan. The crust is not burned on the left side, that is just a shadow. Light was coming in through the window, so it was a little hard to get an evenly lit shot.

We waited the 25 minutes then sliced it and it tasted very good, especially since it was still warm. It would make some terrific French toast. I made the large loaf, but I think the medium would have been a better size. The large is really tall and it makes it hard to cut an even slice, so next time I will make the medium.

I am looking forward to trying my hand at Pumpernickel, but I need a few more ingredients for that. Thannks to space-time who sent me the links to some recent bread maker threads and to Gutenberg who gave me some very good tips on what to buy and where. I can see where this could be a very tasty, albeit fattening, hobby.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: CHALLAHlujah! I just baked my first loaf of bread!!!
Posted by: Blurb
Date: December 30, 2008 03:55PM
Mmmmmm! Warm fresh-baked bread and butter. Have a bite for me, and congrats on your first loaf being a success!
Posted by: DavidS
Date: December 30, 2008 04:14PM
My wife makes awesome Challah French Toast. I highly recommend it. smiling smiley
Posted by: laarree
Date: December 30, 2008 04:15PM
Did BunBun get a taste?

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 30, 2008 04:16PM
Looks wonderful, be sure to grab the slice that has the hole as you can put extra butter in it!

We love our breadmaker. Well I love my breadmaker and she loves her breadmaker.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 30, 2008 04:21PM
Traditionally...

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 30, 2008 04:25PM
That's the next step freeradical. Using the machine to get the dough ready for traditional baking in an oven.

Date: December 30, 2008 04:26PM
laarree
Did BunBun get a taste?

Actually, she did. Just a tiny little bite, and she seemed to like it.

A traditional braided Challah would be better, but since this was my first try I decided to go with the easy way. This bread maker will also just make the dough for you and you can bake it in the oven, so maybe when I am more experienced I can try the braided version with a nice egg wash over the top.

Posted by: dmann
Date: December 30, 2008 04:29PM
Mazel tov! It looks delicious!

DM
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: December 30, 2008 04:31PM
Beautiful! Congrats. And yes, challah makes bodacious French toast.
Posted by: laarree
Date: December 30, 2008 04:34PM
It's a tossup for me as to whether I like toasted challah with butter
or kasha varnishkes better. Both are yummy.

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 30, 2008 04:40PM
Mmm...

yum smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 30, 2008 04:44PM
Why the hell can't someone come up with a recipe for bread that will help you lose weight!? I just love fresh baked bread.
Posted by: kap
Date: December 30, 2008 04:51PM
Even with nothing added, warm bread by itself is always delicious!
This might sound odd but I enjoy the crispy outside part of the bread; my S/O likes the soft inside.

SoCal for now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 04:53PM by kap.
Date: December 30, 2008 04:59PM
Once you get comfortable with this recipe I think you should try harvest apple challah. You have to take the dough out of the machine and handle it a bit, but you make it like monkey bread, it comes out delicious and looking gorgeous, and everyone thinks you are some kind of rock star Martha Stewart domestic goddess for making it.

[www.kingarthurflour.com]
Date: December 30, 2008 05:02PM
Gutie,
That looks really good and I have bookmarked the page. I am going to gain weight baking all these good breads, if I'm not very careful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 05:08PM by rgG.
Date: December 30, 2008 05:21PM
You can always give it away! My friends like to see me coming with a bag in my hands.

And of course failed experiments go to the ducks. Pumpernickel is difficult so you will have many ducks quacking in German before you get it right.
Posted by: dotman
Date: December 30, 2008 06:47PM
is it possible to make a lowfat enjoyable bread in one of these makers? also, I love tortillas. is there a machine for that?

dot.
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 30, 2008 07:08PM
First time you EVER baked bread or the first time with your new Cuisinart?

I did few the old fashioned way, mixing it up and kneading by hand. As i recall, the parts that actually got cooked were pretty good.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: December 30, 2008 07:57PM
It was my first time EVER baking bread, blooz. My 17 year old daughter was the only other "bun" I've ever had in the oven. smiling smiley

Posted by: Tofer
Date: December 30, 2008 09:08PM
rgG
I am looking forward to trying my hand at Pumpernickel, but I need a few more ingredients for that.

Ah, yes: instant coffee and cocoa powder. I'll have to ask my former roommates how they ended up doing pumpernickel--I seem to remember that they used more coffee (or cocoa) than the recipe called for, and it was nice and dark, like store-bought loafs. The normal recipe seemed too light for their tastes.

I just bought ingredients for more breadmaker bread tonight, and I'll have to try a challah loaf.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 31, 2008 10:52AM
rgG
Gutie,
That looks really good and I have bookmarked the page. I am going to gain weight baking all these good breads, if I'm not very careful.

which is the exact reason i would never even attempt to have a bread machine in my house! sorry, moderation is not a word i know the meaning of when warm bread is on the rise!

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2008 10:53AM by graylocks.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 31, 2008 11:35AM
Baking your own bread is very economical; I don't know why more people don't do it. The process is long, but the actual real work you have to do is minimal. I figure that I use less than a dollars worth of ingredients to make a standard sandwich sized loaf of bread - and this is with decent quality bread flour instead of all purpose flour. When I bake this kind of bread, I bake in quantity, cut it into slices, and freeze what isn't going to be used within a few days. However, DO NOT refrigerate bread, since this accelerates starch retrogradation - aka staling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 199
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020