The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.96 ( -0.83 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Weird problem: can't get facebook confirmation email
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: January 02, 2009 10:46AM
Hi,

My wife wants me to get into facebook, so I'm trying to create an account, but for some reason I'm not getting the confirmation email from facebook into my fastmail account.

I've tried signing up several times and waited for the email since last night, but nothing has arrived. I checked all spam folders and my filters to make sure nothing from facebook was being blocked.

Out of frustration and curiosity, I tried my backup gmail address and got the confirmation email within seconds.

I then went into my newly created facebook account to change the email address to my fastmail address, but they again require the change to be activated by clicking a link on a confirmation email which I am, of course, not receiving into my fastmail account.

As an aside, my fastmail address actually is an @mailcan.com address provided by fastmail.fm.

Any ideas?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Weird problem: can't get facebook confirmation email
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 02, 2009 09:48PM
Are you able to whitelist @mailcan.com from your fastmail account?
Posted by: msienkiewicz
Date: January 02, 2009 09:50PM
I had trouble one time when I tried to sign up for an alumni group on Facebook. I didn't get the confirmation email through my alumni email account. I tried again several weeks later and the mail went through. I didn't know where the blockage was for the original email. So I guess that won't be much help to you (except maybe in a 'misery loves company' sense).

One thing you could try if you can't get through - set up a filter in your Gmail to forward mail from Facebook to your fastmail account. I have a filter in my Gmail account that does that for email from family members that was not sent to my main email account, so that I can have those mails all in one place.
Date: January 04, 2009 01:20AM
wurm
Are you able to whitelist @mailcan.com from your fastmail account?

Pardon my ignorance, but not sure what you mean by that. Please elaborate and then I can try it. Thanks.
Date: January 04, 2009 01:22AM
msienkiewicz
I had trouble one time when I tried to sign up for an alumni group on Facebook. I didn't get the confirmation email through my alumni email account. I tried again several weeks later and the mail went through. I didn't know where the blockage was for the original email. So I guess that won't be much help to you (except maybe in a 'misery loves company' sense).

One thing you could try if you can't get through - set up a filter in your Gmail to forward mail from Facebook to your fastmail account. I have a filter in my Gmail account that does that for email from family members that was not sent to my main email account, so that I can have those mails all in one place.

Yeah, I actually have all my fastmail mail automatically forwarded to my gmail account and any gmail mail automatically forwarded to my fastmail account. This effectively makes my gmail account a backup of my fastmail account. The rare things that I have sent to my gmail account automatically get forwarded to fastmail.

It's just irritating that I can't figure this one out.
Date: January 05, 2009 01:25AM
Well, I can't even get the facebook emails sent to my gmail account forwarded to my fastmail account...the emails just don't show up in my fastmail account.

There must be something in my fastmail settings that is blocking facebook emails from coming in.

Very frustrating!
Posted by: jfinlayson
Date: April 30, 2010 02:15PM
I'm having the same problem. Confirmation email to a gmail address is delivered immediately. Confirmation email to a fastmail domain address (mailworks.org, in my case), is never delivered, even after multiple resend requests.

I eventually had to send a support request to get the confirmation done. Now that that step is out of the way, email from facebook is being delivered to the same address. So it's something peculiar to the confirmation email.
Date: April 30, 2010 02:17PM
I ended up having to remove ALL the SPAM rules I had set up in my fastmail account in order for the confirmation to come through, even though none of the addresses I had blacklisted were even remotely close to the facebook confirmation address.
Posted by: jfinlayson
Date: April 30, 2010 04:11PM
I found the rule that was blocking the confirmation. My error.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login