advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Handbrake question
Posted by: iaJim
Date: December 18, 2005 02:58PM
I am trying to transfer a commercial DVD to my iPod. I'm using Handbrake, and after about a ten percent encoding, I get a Done message. The portion of the movie that is encoded is fine, but it is just a portion. I got within about 90 percent complete on one movie and then couldn't get anywhere close to that again. I've followed the tutorial for handbrake that was referenced elsewhere here, and I think I am following the directions. Any suggestions?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Handbrake question
Posted by: JTman
Date: December 18, 2005 03:28PM
Make sure that you have selected the chapter that is the actual movie itself.

Choose the chapter that is lists the longest length of time.

JT
Date: December 18, 2005 03:30PM
I did that. I'm a bit confused about the settings in the upper right box. Does it make a difference if I choose H.264 or not?
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: December 18, 2005 03:49PM
Did you try following these directions, to the letter?:

[howto.diveintomark.org]

As for choosing H.264...that choice will double or triple your encoding time, and there's no reason to choose it if you use MPEG-4 Video/ AAC Audio (with 2-pass encoding checked). The results, using Average Bitrate 400 setting, are amazing. Absolutely clear, clean and crisp video, with perfectly synched sound.

I've successfully ripped, encoded, and transferred to my wife's iPod Video 12 full-length feature films so far. One film, "Chocolat'" couldn't be dealt with, but then, even MTR couldn't crack that one. Seems to have some sort of new encryption that prevents copying. Well, I own it, so I only wanted to make a backup copy and also put it into the iPod's library. No can do with that one.

If you follow the instructions on the web page above, you shoudlnt' have any problems.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Date: December 18, 2005 06:45PM
Followed it to the letter, and still had trouble. I wonder if my DVD drive is hosed. I get a lot of activity in it, groans and snorts, and then I have trouble even ejecting a disk. DVD player couldn't open the disk after I tried to rip it. A restart may fix that, but why should I have to do that? Drive shows as: Sony DVD RW DW-U21A in profiler. What's up?
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: December 18, 2005 07:13PM
It sounds like it is Handbroke.

I'd try it with a different DVD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2005 07:14PM by TheTominator.
Date: December 18, 2005 08:04PM
Tried all of the suggestions. Trashed Handbrake and reinstalled. I'm giving Mac The Ripper a try right now, and at least the DVD drive seems to be working correctly. I don't know what's next, but I'm giving it a try.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 315
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018