advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $97.37 ( +2.65 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Simmons Beautyrest Classic Plush... How much did you pay for one recently?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 06, 2009 07:36AM
Simmons Beautyrest Classic Plush... How much did you pay for one recently?

Hi everyone,

Now that my remodeling project is nearly complete, it's time to purchase a new bed. After careful consideration and much relaxing on mattresses at mattress stores, I've decided on one of the following in "Custom Queen" size:

1. Simmons Beautyrest Shakespeare Hamlet Plush

2. Simmons Beautyrest Shakespeare Balthazar Plush

These are the "Sleepy's: The mattress Professionals" name for them. In reality, the Simmons Beautyrest Shakespeare Hamlet Plush is a Simmons Beautyrest Classic series mattress, regardless of what each store calls it. The last year's version is the Simmons Beautyrest Shakespeare Montague Plush

I went to several stores and I've come to the conclusion that mattress sales reps while polite and friendly are slimy to the extreme! They can teach lessons to used car salespeople. Heck, they can sell an ice cube machine to eskimos and convince them to buy the snocone accessory kit, with it!

For those who don't know, a "Custom Queen" mattress means the set comes with a two piece box spring. Typically, the "Custom Queen" is $100 or so more than the standard queen. That and the Westin Heavenly Bed is actually a Simmons Beautyrest Classic with a pillowtop. (I'm purchasing the plush version)

With that in mind, I'd like to negotiate the best deal possible. So, if you bought one of the above mattresses in the last one or two months, from whom did you buy it and how much did you pay? What did the salesperson include in the deal? I'm purchasing the mattress, matching two piece box spring, bed frame and headboard.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

P.S. I looked at bed frames and plan on getting "The Edge" bed frame. It received excellent reviews on the web
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Simmons Beautyrest Classic Plush... How much did you pay for one recently?
Posted by: Doc
Date: January 06, 2009 07:57AM
Make sure that the label says "all new materials" and that the store certifies their mattresses as "new" in writing with a guaranty.

[www.ftc.gov]

Federal law requires that any mattress that contains used stuffing bear a tag or label with that information. If you don't see any tag, consider doing business with another retailer. Otherwise, you simply don't know what you're buying.

Not all states have labeling requirements for the sale of used mattresses, and for those that do, the requirements can vary. For example, in many places, old mattresses that have been recovered with new ticking (strong, tightly woven cotton or linen fabric) can be sold as long as they are sanitized or disinfected in some way before sale. In other states, only certain parts of mattresses, such as the springs, can be reused. These rules apply to traditional retailers as well as to thrift, secondhand and consignment shops.
Posted by: Cary
Date: January 06, 2009 08:18AM
Robert,

I've had good luck with Sleepy's in the past by avoiding the store, calling the 800 number (they're in Bethpage, off the 135) telling them what model I want, and telling them that I saw it for 30% or 40% less somewhere else.

Each time they've come back with a lower price.

Then you can pick up, or have them deliver.

Cary

P.S. How's the Brother color laser working?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 06, 2009 02:37PM
Doc and Cary,

Thanks for the tips! At this point, I haven't made my final decision. Sleepys just happen to have the models for me to check out in person. Now it's a matter of getting it for the right price be it from Sleepys or the near identical mattress from a different company. I'll definitely make sure that it's certified all-new and brand new in writing prior to purchase.

Robert

P.S. Cary, I have to give credit where credit is due. The Brother laser is working out well so far. Definitely not as nice as an HP laser in some respects but good for printing invoices and shipping labels.
Posted by: Geezy
Date: January 13, 2009 10:42AM
I bought a Simmons Beautyrest Shakespeare Hamlet Plush mattress only
last Sunday (1/11/09) at a Sleepy's in Philly for $757. The list price was $12999, and on the price sheet was a "coupon" for $300 off the set that she "called her manager" to ok using it for just the mattress. After a little while the salesperson went down to $757 + $89 delivery & tax. Thinking back, I probably could have had something knocked off the delivery charge (it's pretty high compared to other places).
Posted by: al3b3d3v
Date: October 14, 2009 01:25PM
I just got a Simmons BR world class Balthasar Plush from Sleepys.
I paid for a queen set, with a standard box and shipping close to 1500.
I am in brooklyn ny, I shopped 3 different sleepys getting very different quotes from all the stores. I also went to macys to see their sale.
the sales person there quoted me at 1700 for their brand which is the "Angelique".
On the macys site that mattress was 1500, but cant blame the sales guy for markup.

Originally, we were looking at the Montague.
We were okay with it, but the Balthasar was the same price, interesting enough.
The only reason why I went with Balthasar, is it has more coils 980, compared to 800, and shouldnt the World Class be a better construction than the Classic ?
Yet to be seen.
I ve read stories as Im sure you have too, that went the mattress comes in the from the warehouse, its not as great or as you expect it, and there is a certain degree of comfort that you expect and what you get. There is ofcourse the adjustment curve.
Im using to sleeping on Sealy Posturepedic for the last 10 years, which costs me 600 bux back then in the early 90s.

I also seen a lot of reviews for the Balthasar, that some people do indeed send it back cause it becomes deformed, or damaged somehow, so I have my fingers crossed.
There are mattresses out there that are 4 grand a pop, but 1500 bux doesnt grow on trees and this decision for us was methodical and hopefully we had all the angles covered.

Thanks everyone for the input here!

Anton from Brooklyn.
Posted by: mattress
Date: February 06, 2010 02:04AM
Hello Guys

I have visit a site that offers a great and excellent mattress with free shipping and affordable price @ [www.bedroomfurniturewhs.com]

simmons beautyrest mattress
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login