advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Digital photo frame-"format not supported" Any make that allows altered pics?
Posted by: davec
Date: January 06, 2009 08:44PM
This Christmas I received a Pandigital photo frame (7 inch) from my sister. The display quality is satisfactory, but over half of the pictures do not display and we get a "format not supported" error. These are pictures I have exported from iPhoto, some have been adjusted/altered. I've tried reformatting the SD card and have used other cards. I found if I use only "raw" images straight from the point-and-shoot camera there are no errors, but if the images have been altered in any way there is a high likelihood I will get an error message. Is there a way to make this frame display all images? If not is there a make of frame (Coby?) that will display images that have been altered in iPhoto? My sister did include a gift receipt for the frame, so I could return it and buy a different make. Thanks for your help!

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Digital photo frame-"format not supported" Any make that allows altered pics?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 06, 2009 08:56PM
Weird, since it's all JPEGS (the RAW files you're giving it are likely RAW+ imbedded JPEG, I think that's what most cameras with RAW capability actually provide. If so, the frame is ignoring the RAW and displaying the JPEG normally used for the thumbnail preview in iPhoto or other app.

Might be something non-standard about how iPhoto creates new JPEG edits. Try another editor.
Re: Digital photo frame-"format not supported" Any make that allows altered pics?
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 06, 2009 09:00PM
Look at the files names of the ones it likes and see if there is a certain way the name is formatted. Make sure the iPhoto ones are formatted the same way. If needed just alter the .jpg or whatever is at the end to make them all consistent. That's my guess.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: January 06, 2009 09:05PM
deckeda- I apologize for being misleading. I should have said "if the images are transferred in an unaltered straight from the camera (not truly "raw") then the frame can show all of the images". If the photos are first imported into iPhoto the frame tends to be unable to display the images. I could use another editor (Graphic Converter) but I'd like to find a frame that could handle iPhoto "improved" images. Thanks for your input!

Dave

Date: January 06, 2009 09:08PM
rgG- thanks for your reply. I did check the images and they are all .jpg images. That is what is frustrating! I did STF and the Pandigital web site and did not find any helpful suggestions. I do appreciate your input!

Dave

Posted by: rgG
Date: January 06, 2009 09:13PM
I remember something like this when I set up my mom's frame, but that was something like two years ago and I don't remember exactly what the problem was.

It might be the folder where the images are stored on the card. Make sure your tweaked images are in the same folder as the ones from the camera.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: January 06, 2009 09:20PM
rgG- thanks for the suggestion. I did check. No folders! All of the images were copied onto the card without placing them in folder. I'm certainly a newbie when it comes to digital frames and I do appreciate all of the help! I have a few more ideas to try....

Dave

Posted by: clay
Date: January 06, 2009 09:35PM
do any of the filenames have spaces or other weird characters in them? Try to figure out which images are causing the issue and see if you can inspect them closer to hopefully shed some light on the issue.
Date: January 06, 2009 09:36PM
In my last attempt I exported the images from iPhoto as 312x234 (preserving the aspect ratio). The pandigital frame is 480x234 and I had hoped that might solve the problem, but I still get the error messages. Is there a brand of digital photo frame that does play nice with iPhoto? What about Coby frames? Thanks for the help!

Dave

Date: January 06, 2009 09:42PM
clay- thanks for the suggestion. I did check the files. They all have very similar filenames. For example 100_2980.jpg. There are no odd characters or significant differences in the filenames. The frame states explicitly that it does support .jpg files. A Google search did find that other folks had similar problems with Pandigital and other makes of frames too. Frankly, I am at a loss. Thanks for the suggestions!

Dave

Edit: spelling/grammar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 09:44PM by davec.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: January 06, 2009 09:43PM
Have you tried these pictures on a different SC card?
Not all Secure Digital cards are created equal.

Date: January 06, 2009 09:47PM
DaviDC- Thanks for your post! Yes, I have used the following brands of SD card: Kodak, PNY (Polaroid) and PQI. All have the same result. I've tried erasing and reformatting too. There has got to be an answer I must be overlooking.... Thanks again for the help!

Dave

Posted by: Doc
Date: January 06, 2009 09:53PM
Two potential issues:

The resource-fork that's created to hold the thumbnail/icon will show up as what looks at first glance like a second copy of the same image, but will give an error when the device tries to display it.

The frame's OS only supports certain kinds of simple JPEG files.

Both issues can be solved by first using Graphic Converter to batch convert the images to JPEG 6 (not progressive) with no icon/preview. Make sure that the destination is not your Desktop folder or the Mac OS will undo it by putting the preview icons back.
Date: January 06, 2009 09:57PM
Doc- Thank you! I will give that a try! I do sincerely appreciate your help!

Dave

Date: January 06, 2009 10:02PM
Doc- Graphic Converter allows a batch conversion to JPEG/JFIF or JPEG2000. I don't see JPEG6 as an option. Is one of the other choices the correct one?

Date: January 06, 2009 10:46PM
I see that JPEG6 is JPEG/JFIF. I did a batch convert and made sure that preview was unchecked. I also unchecked the other options: IPTC, EXIF, Comments, ICC Profile and WMP. I left "Don't embed sRGB profile" checked. I converted the images to a folder, but when I open the folder I still see the preview (thumbnail) images. It appears that the preview/thumbnails are what cause the problems. So, how do I convert the images and not create preview/thumbnails? Thanks for your help and patience!

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 10:47PM by davec.
Date: January 06, 2009 11:00PM
I'm headed to get some sleep....maybe things will be clearer (and less frustrating) in the morning. I will continue to check this thread and I do appreciate your help! Thanks!

Dave

Posted by: Doc
Date: January 07, 2009 01:25AM
> how do I convert the images and not create
> preview/thumbnails?

Make sure that "WWW Ready" is checked off in the Convert & Modify window. (Sorry, I forgot to specify that.)

Also, if you're running Leopard, change your view options for the destination folder so that "show icon preview" is unchecked before you convert the files.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: January 07, 2009 05:41AM
I was given a 7" Trutech digital photo frame and it displays my iPhoto altered pics just fine. Never had the "format error" problem. I can't add to what has already been suggested.
Posted by: what4
Date: January 07, 2009 08:48AM
I've had the same problem, but after showing the error message, the frame then seems to show the picture after all. So Doc's analysis might be the right one.
Posted by: shiggity
Date: October 29, 2012 07:59PM
This saved me. By doing this I was able to get photos to display on a frame that was an anniversary present! Had this not worked, I would have given up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 287
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018