advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iMac repair recommendations
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 12, 2009 12:08PM
The other day, I went to cue up some dinner music on my iMac G5 (iSight) running 10.5.6, and it was completely dead. Dead as if it wasn't even plugged in. I tried all the obvious tests, and followed all the available advice that resulted from online searches. Pretty sure it's just the power supply. Easily user replaceable with previous G5 iMacs but not the iSight.

I'm willing to bite the bullet and take it for service, but being a cheapskate, what's the most logical course of action? I'm well out of warranty, but this machine is still a solid performer. I have a phobia about pursuing service when a repair cost is likely to be a significant portion of what the item is worth in the first place. Anyone know what I should expect cost-wise for this type of thing? I'm assuming the supply is $125-150 and the labor is an only an hour's time. If that's the problem, of course.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iMac repair recommendations
Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 12, 2009 12:15PM
Before talking about repair - have you tried unplugging it and leaving it unplugged a while? Sometimes that is needed to get things moving.
Date: January 12, 2009 12:22PM
Thanks. Yes, I've tried unplugging for extended periods. I've also taken the steps necessary to reset the SMU externally as suggested at [support.apple.com]. Still no dice.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 12, 2009 12:22PM
open the back (captive philips screws on the bottom) and sniff the power supply for a burnt smell. look for a scorch mark on the board above it.

---
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 12, 2009 12:36PM
decay
open the back (captive philips screws on the bottom) and sniff the power supply for a burnt smell. look for a scorch mark on the board above it.

He has the iSight iMac so that won't work...

I would guess you would be in the neighborhood of a $250 to $300 repair, at an Apple Authorized service center, for that iMac if it is indeed the power supply. Might be able to get it done under $250 if it is at an independent shop.

Chris
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 12, 2009 12:51PM
"Dead as if it wasn't even plugged in."

Have you double checked that the end of the cord that attaches to the back of the iMac is pushed in all the way. The wall end of the cord is the most obvious place to look first, but the iMac end can sometimes visually look OK when it's not fully inserted.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 12, 2009 12:53PM
Also try removing first on stick of RAM, and if you have two, replacing the first and removing the second.

My buddie's mom's G5 iMac (pre-iSight) had a bad stick and it was dead the world. Replacing the bad stick revived it.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 12, 2009 01:00PM
May seem silly, but also check if you're using a power strip or surge protector that the port on in is delivering power...
As well as checking the cord and plug-in at the back of the iMac.

It's PROBABLY not any of those things, but rule them out before taking it in... it's really annoying to find the one-in-a-million bad power cable when the guys at the shop plug it in, and it works fine, and they charge you $40...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 12, 2009 01:20PM
oh yeah, the isight imac... as fun & easy to open as the intel imac... plastic credit card & all that rot.

---
Posted by: Wailer
Date: January 12, 2009 01:40PM
At $250 to repair, you've got to start wondering about the value of the fixed machine versus cutting your loses now and scraping it out.

I always hate sinking money into this because the same thing or something else could give out next week. And then you'll say "!@#!, I just put $250 into it, so now I've got to fix this." You got to know when to fold 'em.

You might be able to sell it for $100 on craigslist/ebay or even to the shop that would charge you $250 to fix it. I'm sure they could probably fix it for dirt cheap if they have other G5 imacs laying around and then sell it for $300-$400 or so.

A new 2.4ghz intel macbook will cost $900 with 1-year warranty. Grab an external monitor for $150 and your existing keyboard and mouse and you've got a much better setup. If you have the means, that may be the way to go.
Date: January 12, 2009 02:13PM
i wouldn't put any serious money into a G5 iMac.

---
Posted by: Monster
Date: January 12, 2009 02:42PM
I'm just glad mine is still going strong

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Date: January 12, 2009 03:28PM
decay
i wouldn't put any serious money into a G5 iMac.

That's the rub. I with on ya' on not sinking too much money into it (that's why I don't want to sink $75 into finding out that it's a logic board or something). But at $250-300, fixing it would be a no brainer. It's a small family kitchen computer used largely for web, email and iTunes, and aside from the video card not performing the way it did pre-Leopard, it's plenty of computer for that and the form factor is perfect.

I'll try juggling the RAM, but I think the first stick is soldered to the board, so I won't get my hopes up. Arggghhh...I was just about to treat myself to a 16GB iPod Touch. Guess it just got twice as expensive. Thanks for the responses. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: January 12, 2009 04:13PM
The logic board on my G5 isight went bad and caused lines on the screen. After doing some research, I found that bad logic boards are common and this model is not covered by Apple.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Posted by: artie67
Date: January 12, 2009 04:36PM
I recently replaced a power supply in the 20"G5. I gave all the billing and info print outs to the owner. There is plenty of info at Apple support on replacement step by step. It's not difficult. There are also internal testing leds to verify the state of the power supply. I purchased the new unit in sealed Apple box from supplier in Hollywood called DV....something. Sorry, I don't have that info. Cost with shipping and local tax was $133. Check out on Apple Support for the following.."Troubleshooting when there's no picture on the display" article TS2094.
Date: January 12, 2009 09:25PM
Thanks, but the back cover isn't removable on the iSight, nor do I think it has the same interior diagnostic lights as the early gen G5s. I'd definitely take a whack at it if it were user-serviceable. I tried removing the add-on RAM and then I re-installed it. No luck in either case.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 13, 2009 07:30AM
A couple of months ago my Intel iMac died and after doing all the things mentioned above finally took it to the geniuses. They replaced the power supply which cost $161. I got it home and it ran for an hour and died again. Took it right back and they had it for a few more days. I got it back and was never told exactly what was wrong with it. The invoice just said "hardware" and nothing else but there was no additional charge.
To fix it may not be all that expensive.
Posted by: zorki
Date: January 14, 2009 07:20PM
DP, was it the total cost to repair it? Because I have the same model ( i think), 1st gen iMac intel, it has been sitting dead, until I made myself buy a tested PSU for $80. I am about to get some new screw drivers since the reg. tork head does not fit through. This is adding to the cost, perhaps I should have given myself for my birthday yesterday a mint 24" 2.8, they are $1300 max on eBay.
Will let you know if my venture was a success, otherwise happy birthday to me smiling smiley
Date: January 14, 2009 07:24PM
artie67
I recently replaced a power supply in the 20"G5. I gave all the billing and info print outs to the owner. There is plenty of info at Apple support on replacement step by step. It's not difficult. There are also internal testing leds to verify the state of the power supply. I purchased the new unit in sealed Apple box from supplier in Hollywood called DV....something. Sorry, I don't have that info. Cost with shipping and local tax was $133. Check out on Apple Support for the following.."Troubleshooting when there's no picture on the display" article TS2094.

I think that topic has just closed on the 18th of December, 2008
Re: iMac repair power supply unit update
Date: January 14, 2009 10:24PM
So, my iMac is back. Not as splendid as the al. 24" loaner that I had but I am very happy to have it back on. Here is what I have learned:

The instructional video I followed was not too specific. So, when removing the front bezel, disconnect it with the camera and set aside.
That way you can have your main body sitting up to take the display off. I found it was easier to do it that way since there are 3 (three) and not 1 cable which are connected to it. You can disconnect the two similar cables and just lay the display down, still connected by the 3rd one.

The PSU was charred, so it was a sign of relief. The smaller cable is where you will find the most difficulty. It is tucked away behind the cooling system and I had to take down the HD, loosen up the main frame screws and separate the frame from the radiator (there are 2 small T8 screws holding the plate, perpendicular to the plane of the display.

Pulling the frame out slightly you will be able to slide the cable out, and connect the working PSU. At this point just watch that your screws go back in their own holes. My PSU cable was short, so it is going to be a tight fit. Some metal parts of the repl. PSU were going to touch the frame, so I put a little tape to keep it separated.

At last, watch your finger taping the display back up, I got a quick 'paper' cut smoothing it out.
Hope this helps, let me know if you want to see the pics
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020