advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Did you know a "dash" equals 1/8 teaspoon?
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 17, 2009 06:53PM
I needed a 1/8 teaspoon measuring spoon. The smallest I had was a 1/4 teaspoon and several bread making recipes call for 1/8 teaspoon of this or that. I finally found a set of three spoons. A dash is equal to 1/8 tsp., a pinch is 1/16 tsp., and a smidgen is a whopping 1/32 tsp. I learned something new today.

I also bought a nice furry gray robe at the Bath & Body Works outlet store for 75% off, for about $9.00. smiling smiley

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Did you know a "dash" equals 1/8 teaspoon?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 17, 2009 07:07PM
Yes, I did know that. Did you know that the unit of mass in the English system is called a "slug"?

1 slug = 14.59 kg
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 17, 2009 08:06PM
I always thought a dash seemed excessive on the food shows. Now I know. A dash of Mrs. Dash.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: January 17, 2009 10:01PM
If you want to define it that way, you may. But there is no exact measurement of a dash. A dash is a dash, and a pinch is a pinch, and a dollop is a dollop. I think my dash is smaller than my pinch, and my pinch is smaller than 1/8 tsp.

Measuring spoons are questionable. Some are manufactured for both metric and imperial tsp/TB use, and they slap a label on them and call it close enough. So even though a three teaspoons make a tablespoon, you might have a "teaspoon" labeled 5ml, and a "tablespoon" labeled 10ml. Break out some granulated sugar and actually measure what they hold, and you might find that the bigger spoon is not twice the size, or thrice, but somewhere in between. Then compare your different sets of measuring spoons. You may then discover that you have several different tablespoons that differ noticeably. I know I do.

see [foodgeeks.com] for math that will make your brain hurt.

If you really need exact measurements when cooking, you have to use a scale, and even that won't help you with spices, which vary considerably in strength.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 17, 2009 10:16PM
"I also bought a nice furry gray robe at the Bath & Body Works outlet store for 75% off, for about $9.00."

Pictures of you modeling said robe now required ;) .
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 17, 2009 11:16PM
Mike Johnson
If you want to define it that way, you may. But there is no exact measurement of a dash. A dash is a dash, and a pinch is a pinch, and a dollop is a dollop. I think my dash is smaller than my pinch, and my pinch is smaller than 1/8 tsp.

I don't want to define it that way, that is what is written on the spoons.smiling smiley
I just want a consistent amount that is more accurate than me filling a 1/4 tsp. measuring spoon half full.

As for modeling the robe, I have on sweat pants, a turtle neck sweater socks and slippers, in addition to the robe. It has been freaking cold here today/tonight. big grin smiley

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: January 18, 2009 02:16AM
Did you know a cup of coffee is 5 ounces?

[www.papanicholas.com] coffee smiley
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 18, 2009 09:53AM
Black Landlord

yep. i have seen that on some coffee and coffee machine packaging.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 18, 2009 10:31AM
graylocks
Black Landlord

yep. i have seen that on some coffee and coffee machine packaging.

That is the size of the coffee cups I used to clean in the '70's when I worked for a while as a dishwasher. Could see the cup size changing to larger in restaurants over the decades after, it meant fewer trips by the wait staff for refills. Now almost everyone uses larger mugs, etc. for their coffee.

Yes.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 18, 2009 04:49PM
Once upon a time, it was a slow day at the forum, so I watched some cooking shows.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 52
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014