Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $108.00 ( +1.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Progressive Lenses
Posted by: Glued
Date: January 22, 2009 10:25AM
If you wear them, or have worn them, how long did it take you to get used to them (if ever)?

This is my first pair (I've never worn bifocals either) and (after a week) it's still a royal pain finding 'the sweet spot' depending on the distance.

I'm contemplating on purchasing a pair of reading glasses from one of the online stores (zenni, $39, opticalforless, etc.), but I'm not sure how I would 'add in' the extra part of the prescription that denotes the close up portion of the script. I'm sure I'll muddle through it. (edit) Okay, I see the columns for OD-ADD, I assume this is where you'd add the reading portion of the script and it would be applied to the entire lens so long as you order single strength.

Geez though, for $700 you'd think you wouldn't have to deal with the rollercoaster nausea. It reminds me of the very first time I had to wear glasses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 10:30AM by Glued.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Progressive Lenses
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 22, 2009 10:38AM
IIRC, it took about a week.

call Zenni customer service about reading glasses. they are really helpful and i think there was something else to take into consideration when doing the reading glasses. or maybe computer glasses.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: January 22, 2009 10:51AM
Not all progressive lenses are created equal. I've worn them for years, and, when I first made the transition from bifocals, I had great vision coverage, so I also got great lenses. Almost exactly two years ago, I went in for an eye exam and needed a new prescription. Since by then I was paying out of pocket, I got the progressive lenses sold by Costco, which are generally good lenses that millions of people can wear without a problem. After a month, I still couldn't get used to wearing them. I returned them and bought higher quality lenses from an independent optician. I was back to seeing things properly within seconds - literally. I don't know where you got them, but virtually all places will allow returns for progressives, so go back and see the optician again before making any final decisions. You might be like me and simply need a different kind of progressive lens. I don't remember all the "stuff" I learned while researching, but I do know that there are many variations in the fields of visions among brands and styles.
Posted by: macbeergeek
Date: January 22, 2009 10:55AM
After nearly 48 years of perfect vision (and the last 25 working on computer screens) I finally broke down and got a pair of prescription reading glasses (had a $5 pair from the dollar store for about 3 months before that).

Unfortunately the first pair was progressive bi-focals (actually tri-focals, since there was a thin area at the top for normal distance). They were for two reading distances, the majority of the frame for arms-length computer work, and the bottom for reading up close. Constantly moving my head around trying to find that "sweet spot" annoyed the hell out of me. I never realized that progressives fade in from the sides as well as from top-to-bottom, so there is really only a small "hole" of focus in the center of each lens. I really tried to get used to them for about 6 weeks, but I was getting headaches, so I had them changed to standard bi-focals (with the line separating the two prescriptions). Still took some getting used to, but at least now I can look from one side of my 24" widescreen LCD monitor to the other without moving my head looking for a sweet spot.

I'm still getting used to wearing glasses at all, but I really do need them now to read anything up close. I have to keep taking taking them off and carrying them around with me where ever I go, sticking them in a shirt pocket or hanging them from my shirt collar or just carrying them in my hand. And them remembering to bring them with me back-n-forth from work and home. I still have that cheapo $5 pair at home, but to use them on the computer I have to lean in close to the monitor. Obviously I'm still having some resistance to them because I just don't want to have to use them at all, and using them is an acknowledgment that I'm getting old.

So far, getting old sucks.
Posted by: Mr. Ed
Date: January 22, 2009 11:01AM
I've used them for many years and used to have problems - until I had them start the progression lower in the lens. Now, everything works great.
Posted by: jesse
Date: January 22, 2009 11:06AM
I've been wearing progressives for years and if I remember correctly it took about 2 weeks to become fully accustomed to them.

One of the differences in the more expensive lenses is the width of the reading area at the bottom, the more expensive the lense the wider the reading (close up) area at the bottom is.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 22, 2009 11:20AM
I had three attempts at bifocals / progressives until the opticians got it right. The last optician explained that it's all about the measurements- if the optician gets the measurements even a bit off, the lenses aren't made right and you just can't get it straight.

Also my wife explained that you get the glasses fitted, then take them off and wear your old glasses for the rest of the day.

When you wake up the next morning, put on your new glasses. You'll find that the adjustment process is much easier when your eyes and brain are well rested. For me it was about 1 minute, and bang, I was used to them.
Posted by: will2000
Date: January 22, 2009 11:21AM
What AlphaDog said. Buy the best ones you can get.
Mine are Varilux Physio; another option is the high-end Zeiss lenses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 11:27AM by will2000.
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: January 22, 2009 11:55AM
Took me a few days, I adapted very quickly.
Date: January 22, 2009 12:10PM
Just a clarification: In my case I did need to go to a more expensive lens than what Costco carries, but price isn't the only consideration. I apparently didn't see the last sentence of your original post where you said you'd paid $700 for these glasses. Heck, that's more than I paid for mine, so I'm leaning toward the style of lens being wrong for what you need or the chance the measurement is off. Either way, get your buns back to the optician and ask what he's going to do next to get you glasses that serve your needs. There are a number of manufacturers who make progressive lenses, and each also has a range of styles designed to suit specific vision needs. Also, not all opticians have access to all of the various lenses available. I wanted to do business with a place about a mile from my house, but when I went in there and told him I needed Hoyas, he said he couldn't get them and referred me to a competitor. And, I also learned throughout all of my struggle to get the right glasses that the independent was actually cheaper than the big national chains. Go figure.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 22, 2009 12:21PM
Glued,

Lemme guess, you're about 40, right?

I've been wearing progressives for 20 years and have had problems with some prescriptions that were technically perfect but so strong I got headaches. As will2000 said, get high-end lenses. I like Zeiss. Sometimes I get a computer-only prescription optimized for only one distance. They're great and can be low-end without AR and other bells and whistles.

And the progressives did take awhile to get used to. My current lenses are no longer working, getting eye fatigue in front of the computer. I need a new prescription.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 22, 2009 12:49PM
I went over 2 years with my first pair and would always go back to my old regular glasses after a day of trying the new ones. Finally, I had to go on a 3 week trip and left my old ones at home. It took about 2 weeks and they were fine.
Posted by: Glued
Date: January 22, 2009 01:33PM
Don't get me wrong, when I do find the sweet spot for what I'm looking at - the clarity is phenomenal. It's just that I've always moved my eyes more than I've moved my head. With the progressives, it's like you have to fix your eye on a spot on the lens then move your head to pan about. If you happen to tilt your head everything kind of squeezes or distorts like a bad sixties acid trip movie. Turn your head too slow for your eyes and the distortion almost enhances the feeling of the speed in which your head is moving (really, a lot like being on a rollercoaster).

No more watching someone with your eyes as they walk past or trying to catch glimpses of traffic through your sideview mirror with just a glance. You must turn your head in the direction you want to look. It's just a lot of head movement that I have to and will get used to. (Egads, ending on a preposition, but when it's part of a term like "used to" does it count?)
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 22, 2009 01:57PM
It should be:

"It's just a lot of head movement that I have to and will get used to, a$$^&*#$."
Date: January 22, 2009 02:30PM
Glued
Don't get me wrong, when I do find the sweet spot for what I'm looking at - the clarity is phenomenal. It's just that I've always moved my eyes more than I've moved my head. With the progressives, it's like you have to fix your eye on a spot on the lens then move your head to pan about. If you happen to tilt your head everything kind of squeezes or distorts like a bad sixties acid trip movie. Turn your head too slow for your eyes and the distortion almost enhances the feeling of the speed in which your head is moving (really, a lot like being on a rollercoaster).

No more watching someone with your eyes as they walk past or trying to catch glimpses of traffic through your sideview mirror with just a glance. You must turn your head in the direction you want to look. It's just a lot of head movement that I have to and will get used to. (Egads, ending on a preposition, but when it's part of a term like "used to" does it count?)

These are fine examples of the complaints I had with the Varilux Ovation lenses I got from Costco. Progressives do not have to be like that. Go back, young man, go back!! smiling smiley See that optician and tell him these won't cut it and to put you in a different kind. No, I could not glance in the rear view mirror (I can now), and I had to turn my head to read across the width of a piddly 17 inch monitor, and I don't have to do that any more, either. You'll probably never get used to those lenses, and there's no reason why you should even have to try.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 22, 2009 03:13PM
different lenses have different fields of view, and a very slight difference can throw you off big time. another vote for going back until they get it right for you individual circumstance. after many years wearing progressives, I'll never go back to regular bifocals/trifocals, though when I got my last batch of glasses, one pair (the bathroom emergency pair) was off just enough to make them unusable... after you do get used to them, you'll what works. good luck.
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 22, 2009 03:21PM
I tried them for 3 weeks and I felt nausea most of the time--my whole world was floating around. I finally took them back and got a new pair of bifocals.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 22, 2009 04:46PM
Took me from two days to about two weeks.
Never had any nausea, but the first time I tried to look in the rear view mirrors driving I was ready to toss them out the window.
Took about two weeks to get used to "turning my head" to see.

I had a money back / exchange to lenses with "bigger holes" for reading option but ended up not using it.

In my case I went with a scrip for computerscreen focal distance rather than book reading focal distance.
I still don't quite need reading glasses but due to an accomadation problem have to do eye exercises while reading or my vision gets "stuck".

$700.00 ? did they come with a big fancy hat ? :-)
Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 22, 2009 07:20PM
Took me 2 weeks with the first pair - about 20 years ago. The secret is to put them on and tough it out - if you keep switching back to single vison, you will never adapt.
Posted by: Lee3
Date: January 22, 2009 08:11PM
I think it also depends on how big the lens is. I have one pair with a little larger lens and I had no problem with that. A pair with a smaller lens I had problems with.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 23, 2009 01:08AM
I'm in the "First pair of glasses and over 40" group. My vision has been slowly deteriorating since my mid-30s, but I refused to acknowledge it!

I finally broke down and got a pair of glasses with the works: progressive, transitions, anti-glare, undercoat...

Hated them at first. Gave me headaches, had to move my head all the time. Bleah! Took a couple weeks, but I got used to them. I was like, "Wow! so that's what things really look like! Nice & sharp!"
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 23, 2009 02:05AM
For those too young to know, progressive lenses = vanity lenses.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: qdog
Date: January 23, 2009 03:29AM
I never got use to them. I keep trying tho. I will look over the top or take them off. Next pair glasses will have single vision lens.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 23, 2009 07:28AM
Speedy
For those too young to know, progressive lenses = vanity lenses.
yes, because carrying two and three pair of glasses in one's pockets all day is so very easy to do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login