advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
This is the latest I've ever ordered for Christmas.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 18, 2005 06:45PM
I just pulled the trigger on a digital picture frame for my mom. I hope it will get here by Friday. I never wait this long. I bought a small Kodak Picture Viewer, but I couldn't get it to play nice with a Mac so I took it back. Then I saw a digital picture frame at Worst Buy, but they were out when I went to get it, even though I called and they said they had two. I can understand that though. I never trust the computer if it is less than say 5/6. But then they said they had 6 at another store, but when I called them they said no. So I gave up on that one. I didn't like the look of the display that much anyway.

So I looked all over the web and finally found one that got good reviews and that everyone liked at Newegg but, you guessed it, they were "out of stock". It said they were supposed to get stock in today, odd that it is Sunday, but I signed up for an e-mail alert. That never came, but I checked several times today and about an hour ago it showed up as in stock. I pulled the trigger and have a confirm e-mail. I just hope the 3-day UPS shipping gets it here by Friday. Newegg has been good about shipping in the past, so I hope they come through this time. I can go ahead and load up the CF card and have it ready to plug and play, but I hate cutting it this close-not really like me at all.

Here is the link to the product page, if you care. I think they will be cheaper and better next year, but I couldn't think of a good substitute, and mom isn't getting any younger. BTW, it has a built in MP3 player so that you can play music along with the pictures in the slide show.

[www.newegg.com]

I hope she likes it. I'm going to put lots of pictures of my daughter on it for her.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: This is the latest I've ever ordered for Christmas.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 18, 2005 06:52PM
buy 3 and get a loaded Mac Mini instead!
Posted by: bill b
Date: December 18, 2005 06:57PM
Is MOM going to need that 'refreshed' with current pics every month ?
Think seriously about maintenance issues. :-)

Pretty cool, but pricey.
Conversation piece.
Nice idea.
Date: December 18, 2005 07:07PM
That's what I liked about it using CF cards. I have several lying around and I can do a swap when she comes up. Also, since my daughter is 14 I can tell her she needs to fill up a CF card for Mamaw, since she is the only grandchild and she can do no wrong in her grandmother's eyes.

It was a lot more than I wanted to pay, but I had gotten desperate. I just couldn't give her another gift card. If she doesn't like it, then I'll be mad. If my dad was still alive he would have gotten a big kick out of it. But then, he would have probably already had one.

Posted by: blooz
Date: December 18, 2005 08:24PM
I'm leaving here right now to go shop. I've dont the B&M store routine three times already and bought like 3 items. Just can't focus on all that STUFF.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 18, 2005 08:25PM
I'm leaving here right now to go shop. I've done the B&M store routine three times already and bought like 3 items. Just can't focus on all that STUFF.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: JJ_TKOB
Date: December 18, 2005 11:09PM
Newegg has a reputation for fast shipping.

Posted by: jimbrady
Date: December 19, 2005 09:45AM
What's the resolution? Seems like a spec they oughta include on the product page. 5.6" diagonal sounds fine (like a 4x6 print), but that's somewhat meaningless w/o the resolution.

NewEgg is a good firm with quick shipping, but I'd be wary of relying heavily on the site's reviews (it's been an issue in the past that they will delete negative reviews).
Date: December 19, 2005 12:09PM
The resolution is 640 X 480 and I too thought they ought to feature that more prominently than they did. I had to find it at the Meritline site. The frame is also sold under the Meritline name and I found more reviews and info at Meritline. The reviews there were also mostly good. They better be telling the truth after the fiasco I had with the Kodak picture viewer. The reviews I read of the picture were mostly bad, so I would say I was forewarned.

Date: December 19, 2005 12:27PM
640x480 sounds just right.

Would you like to have a picture of me on there?

Date: December 19, 2005 01:03PM
Oh my, is that really you Jim, I had no idea! smiling bouncing smiley

I was glad I finally found the resolution so that I can size the pics on the CF cards correctly. No need to make the files any bigger than they need to be. I want to squeeze as many as I can on them.
Date: December 19, 2005 01:17PM
> Oh my, is that really you Jim, I had no idea!

Nope--that's Tiki Barber of the NY Giants--sorry for the confusion.

I bet the picture frame will look great, but I'd probably skip the pix that are vertically oriented (in case you'd not thought of that).
Date: December 19, 2005 01:40PM
You mean that isn't really you? I'm soooo disappointed. :}

I am going to re-crop all the verticals into horizontals just to make them uniform. It says you can hit a button on the remote to rotate the pics, but I would rather just re-crop. Mom isn't all that good with remotes and such. sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 297
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018