advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A good value in a SmartMedia card? (*yes, they're practically antique now....)
Posted by: stephen
Date: December 18, 2005 07:27PM
My brother has a Fuji camera that uses SmartMedia, and he wants a larger card for Christmas.

The bad reviews of the PNY on Amazon have me scared. What kinds have you used successfully?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A good value in a SmartMedia card? (*yes, they're practically antique now....)
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: December 18, 2005 08:03PM
My only comment on this is - if you can find em, I'd suggest getting. We haven't seen any particularly problematic smart media cards... and recently - they are all but impossible to find at all.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Re: A good value in a SmartMedia card? (*yes, they're practically antique now....)
Posted by: DavidS
Date: December 18, 2005 08:26PM
We've used all different kinds for our Fuji 2600 camera over the last 4 years. 128MB is the largest they made, I believe. We've never had any problems with any of the cards. What size is he looking for?
Posted by: stephen
Date: December 18, 2005 08:50PM
I thought I'd get him a 128. He has a Fuji 2800z.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: December 18, 2005 09:39PM
I've had no issues with PNY media...and/or their SmartMedia line over the years. Just my personal experience.

128MB is the maximum you can find and was ever produced...due to technical limitations (fyi, in case you didn't know).
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 18, 2005 11:30PM
Olympus still makes them … many 'older' cameras are limited to 32MB cards or less … bfd had to send his Oly in twice for an upgrade just so it'd take a 64MB card (it will never take a 128MB card)

[www.amazon.com]

PS … They are ridiculously expensive.
Anonymous User
Date: December 19, 2005 12:04AM
You'ld be better off getting him a New Digital Camera.
A520 for example. RadioShack and Staples are selling one for 199.99 with a 256MB Card.

Or you could pick it up at target for 188, Costco and WallyMart for 175 with a 16mb SD card.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 19, 2005 06:42AM
If the camera is still doing the desired job, stick with it and chase down a Smart Media card.

You may be paying more for the card than the camera's open market value, but the open market value is of no consequence in this case. The cost of replacing the camera will be more than the S/M card, and not justifiably more beneficial.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 277
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018