Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $103.02 ( +0.52 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Kenmore refrigerator middle divider VERY hot
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: January 26, 2009 10:25AM
This is a side by side Refrigerator/Freezer. Recently we've noticed the door seals are very hot, and it's coming from the metal surface they close against on the Refrigerator. It's mainly coming from the middle divider inbetween the Refrigerator section and the Freezer section. Any idea what's causing this and is it a big repair?

The refrigerator is otherwise functioning normally and the temps shows 0 in the freezer and 32 in the refrigerator (like it always does).

The middle divider is very hot, but on either side of the divider, the walls are nice and cold.

Thanks.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Kenmore refrigerator middle divider VERY hot
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 26, 2009 11:07AM
There are only two things that I can think of in a fridge that should produce heat. The compressor and the defrost heaters.

Where does the compressor cooling air exit? Is it heating the metal frame? Any chance it's stuck doing continuous defrost? Although I would expect the internal temperature to be warm then too.

Is the compressor running a lot more than normal?

Is there some external heat source (forced air heat register) blowing on the frame of the fridge?

Just a lot of guesses. You could try to reboot it, turn off the power and unplug the AC cord for a minute or two in case some computer controller when wild and is trying to defrost all the time.
Posted by: Plumbking
Date: January 26, 2009 11:44AM
My GE side by side does the exact same thing. Fridge is cold and freezer is colder and middle divider is very warm.

My guess is it's designed so the doors don't freeze and stick closed. I know some commercial walk in freezers have "heaters" around the door strip for that very reason.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: January 26, 2009 11:47AM
Google is your friend

[en.allexperts.com]

As always, YMMV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 11:48AM by olnacl.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 26, 2009 11:51AM
There is a heater strip in there. Its purpose is to keep moisture in room air from condensing on that surface, but only in warm weather.

Most units with that heater have a Energy Saver switch. Turning it on should turnoff the heater (saving energy).

If you have your Model Number (usually on an inside wall or ceiling of the fresh food side) you can find out about it here:

[www.searspartsdirect.com]

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mavericks.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 26, 2009 11:58AM
Yes, mine will do that (get warm) if the energy saver switch is on .
Supposedly for condensation in Summer.
With it off (and I have no AC) I have never seen the sweat so bad on the divider and around the door that I would turn it on . Even in July and it gets humid here in the Summer.
Date: January 26, 2009 12:01PM
Thanks for all of the replies.

We've had this for 6 years and this heat issue just came up a couple of weeks ago.

I can't hear any fan or compressor running any more than usual. There's nothing new blocking anything in the front of the grill and no new heat source.

I'll have to go home and check in the evening for an energy saver switch and model number, etc.

Maybe will try the unplug and reboot suggestion.

That google link also had some good ideas, so thanks for that as well.
Posted by: Jem
Date: January 26, 2009 12:21PM
We had this problem with ours and it turned out it needed either a new compressor or a circulator fan/pump or some such. It was 5 or 6 years ago.

It was more than just 'warm" it was *hot*. The replaced part solved the problem. We have since been given a newer better fridge, so the old one is only used in the summer as a beverage fridge.

Good luck!
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 27, 2009 04:32PM
If the compressor is running when you turn it off or unplug power, PLEASE wait 15 minutes before you pug it back in. You need to give the compressed refrigerant time to bleed out, equalizing the pressure between the High prssure side and Low pressure side.

Plugging it in to soon will give the compressor a hernia, seriously.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mavericks.
Date: January 29, 2009 09:42AM
Turns out a fan had blown out or something like that.

Sears came out and fixed under our extended warranty contract.

Would have cost $300 to fix (according to the Sears tech).

Whew!

Thanks again for the interesting discussion.
Posted by: LTubbe
Date: April 26, 2010 07:41PM
I want to say Thank You to those who had posted here. You saved me a sevice call to Sears! I pulled the back cover off of my fridge and found that I had accidentally pushed some of the insulation into the fan as I was cleaning under my fridge a couple of weeks ago. I moved the insulation back to its proper location and voila! No more problem... Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
Posted by: iubbfan999
Date: June 07, 2010 11:06PM
I was so thankful for the helpful advice I found on this forum that I had to create a login just to thank you all, plus to add my 2 cents worth that may help the next guy/gal.

When I read the message about the person who was cleaning and pushed insulation into the fan, that sounded like a possibility for me. I had just cleaned behind the fridge a few days before my trouble started.

I took off the back cardboard cover where I had stuck my vacuum hose to clean out the dust. In the cleaning, I had, unbeknownst to me, disconnected the fan. I plugged it back in and voila!
Also while I was there, I opened the fridge on the front at the bottom and cleaned out the dust from around the coils. That has to help too.

Thanks to everyone!!!!
Posted by: rcbryantii
Date: February 09, 2012 08:59AM
And several years later people are still coming in from google searching for the same issue. Thanks! This post gave me the info to check the fan in the back and solved the issue after 5 minutes. Some insulation was sticking up blocking the fan from moving on mine. We bought a kenmore side by side from Craigslist for 200 after delivery. After we cleaned it up and plugged it in, we got the burning hot middle rail issue. Was about to tell them to come back and pick it up but after a quick google this post was at the top and solved my issue.

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login