Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to Install Audiobooks on iPhone?
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: February 03, 2009 08:38AM
Yesterday I downloaded three aubiobooks from audible.com. All three show up in my iTunes Library and I can play them on my Mac. I would like to put them on my iPhone but haven't a clue how to do it and haven't found the magic keywords to get anything from Help. I have tried dragging them from the Audiobooks category in the Library to the iPhone Audiobooks icon but that doesn't work. I don't know what to do next. Would appreciate a bit of advice.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to Install Audiobooks on iPhone?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 03, 2009 08:56AM
They should just load in when you sync your iphone and itunes

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Posted by: MacManMaz
Date: February 03, 2009 10:53AM
sometimes, audio books are not in audiobook format. they may be in MP3 format. Check this first, the file extension should be "M4B". The three that I have purchased from audible were already in this format. You may handle them just like song files if they are in MP3 format or convert them to M4B. Search help forums for more on this.

To use them in M4B format, you have import them into iTunes. Right click on the file(s) and select - open with iTunes. The default setting in iTunes is to copy the file into your iTunes library in the proper place. You should see that your book is now listed under the audiobook list in your iTunes library, remember that some books come in multiple files or parts and you will have to import all of them. Make sure that when you see these files in the audiobook section of your iTunes library (not to be confused with the apple store or ipod) that the boxes next to them are checked.

Finally, plug your iPhone/iPod in and select the music tab across the top. If you have iTunes set up to automatically sync all music, then all the audiobooks that are checkmarked in your library will be sent to the phone/pod. if you manage your songs manually, you will have to make sure that audiobooks are checked. If you manage your music by playlist, then you will make a playlist from the audiobooks in your library and check that in the ipod/iPhone sync window.

None of these steps are as hard as they sound here, but you get a feel for why nobody seems to be able to compete with the iTunes store for simplicity and ease of use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2009 10:56AM by MacManMaz.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 03, 2009 11:19AM
files from audible are usually in a proprietary format but audible LOVES iTunes. i would think the books would just sync but other devices do need a device specific Audible player. if the books aren't syncing check the help files at audible.com.

i don't have an iPod device. does one need to check what to sync? a checkbox or something for music, podcasts, audiobooks, and such?
Posted by: abevilac
Date: February 03, 2009 01:41PM
Here's what I do for my Audible files for my iPhone. I create a playlist for each title and move the files into it. Then, when snyc-ing, I check - selected playlists - and then just place a check next to the titles I want to transfer. Note: I don't bother checking the "Audiobooks" check box, since I think that would try to sync all of my audiobooks and I have a ton of them.
HTH
Posted by: MacManMaz
Date: February 03, 2009 02:22PM
abevilac
Here's what I do for my Audible files for my iPhone. I create a playlist for each title and move the files into it. Then, when snyc-ing, I check - selected playlists - and then just place a check next to the titles I want to transfer. Note: I don't bother checking the "Audiobooks" check box, since I think that would try to sync all of my audiobooks and I have a ton of them.
HTH

You control which audiobooks get synched by checking or unchecking in the audiobooks section of your library. Then when you check the audiobook box in the ipod window it does only those checked in the library. Similiar to the playlist method, but a little neater.
Posted by: decay
Date: February 03, 2009 05:06PM
linky for ya

[aldoblog.com]

---
I buy records. Getting rid of some? Let me know.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: February 03, 2009 06:42PM
Just got back from shopping etc and found the latest advice. All three audio books in the Library were checked. I created an iTunes playlist and dragged one of the audible audio books (Around the World in 80 Days) into it.

Next I plugged in the iPhone and looked under the music category at the audio playlists from iTunes. An entry had appeared called Audiobooks and another entitled "Around the World in 80 Days". I checked the Audiobooks item, but not the 80 days one and told iTunes to sync with the iPhone. In a very short time the update was done. To my surprise, all three audio books had been transfered to the iPhone even though I had not placed the other two in playlists. Apparently having all three checked in the Library caused them to all be transferred to the iPhone.

Next I plugged the iPhone in again, unchecked the Audiobooks item and just checked the "Around the World in 80 Days" playlist. I synced again and only that audio book was transfered to the iPhone.

I think I understand how to do it now. Hopefully my description of what I did makes sense. Thanks to all for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 52
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014