advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $103.30 ( +0.80 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any recourse for stolen package dropped on my porch by FedEx???
Posted by: BillMac
Date: February 04, 2009 11:41AM
So I ordered a pair of USB Missile Launchers from woot.com. FedEx says the box was dropped on my porch yesterday at 12:30-ish. Well, no package. It was either stolen or never dropped off.
Any recourse or am I verscrewed?

-Bill
Cogito ergo iPod!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any recourse for stolen package dropped on my porch by FedEx???
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 04, 2009 11:50AM
call them and tell them that you never received the package.

i think you're a long ways from being screwed.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 04, 2009 11:51AM
Call FedEx, tell them you did not receive it. They will search for it, and if they do not find it, they will notify the shipper to send another.

It is the shipper's loss not yours. If FedEx eventually pays out on an insurance claim, it will be to the shipper, not you. I had a similar issue with an MIA UPS package, and this is what I learned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2009 11:53AM by Acer.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 04, 2009 12:02PM
Bill,

One thing.. Fedex may say they aren't responsible for the package if it was sent without a signature requirement. Meaning, if it was sent via a method that didn't require a signature and it was delivered, then Fedex may say it's no longer their problem.

UPs has an option "Deliver Without Signature (Shipper Release)". Selecting this option means neither the shipper nor UPS are responsible for the package once it's delivered to the consignee. Leaving a package at a doorstep fulfills the delivery requirement. But that's only if the option is selected.

Fedex offers a similar option called deliver without signature though I don't know if it applies to Fedex Ground packages. Check to see if that option was chosen by the shipper. If it was available and they chose it, then technically, you could be SOL.

Robert
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 04, 2009 12:07PM
Not SOL. Contact your CC company, and say the vendor never delivered the product you paid for. Simple. They should reverse the charges.
Posted by: ADent
Date: February 04, 2009 12:53PM
I had a similar issue and turns out the FexEx Ground guy delivered it to the wrong street. Took a few days, but we eventually got it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2009 12:53PM by ADent.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 04, 2009 02:09PM
Call before worrying

This happened to me once. I called. Package was delivered to wrong address. They went and got it for me with a couple of hours.
Date: February 04, 2009 06:34PM
Called FedEx. They will "trace" the package, call the driver, etc. They will call me back when they find out for sure where he left it.

Woot apparently sent with no sig "requested" per the FedEx tracking page. Do you think that means that if the driver tells them he eft it on the porch that I will then be SOL?

Next step, if FedEx says too bad, call woot? Call CC company?

-Bill
Cogito ergo iPod!
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 04, 2009 10:42PM
fedex lost $2k package I sent overnight to Germany. I had insurance. last time I checked, our shipping guy told me he's still fighting with them to claim the insurance. This has been dragging on and on since August.
Date: February 05, 2009 10:22AM
Bill,

That will make it more difficult for you and Woot to recover the cost of the item.

All Fedex has to say is, "We delivered to the address as specified by Woot. We fulfilled our end of the service/contract. If you have a problem, you'll have to take it up with Woot." Woot can in turn can say, they shipped it out per your request. Not much we can do once it's out of our facilities and in the hands of the carrier.

That you didn't actually receive the box because it was left on your doorstep and walked away prior to your arrival technically is neither woot or Fedex's problem. However, this doesn't mean you shouldn't contact Woot about it. I'm hoping they'll send you another one and in turn go after Fedex to recover the cost of the replacement item.

A credit card company may or may not side with you even if you didn't actually receive he goods. Again, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to recover the cost of goods unless it's something super dirt cheap. In that case, it may not be cost effective to fight about it, even if principle is on your side.

Robert
Follow up! Resolved!
Date: February 05, 2009 07:48PM
Though FedEx NEVER called me back, the package was on my front porch at lunch today.
No explanation (wrong address, etc...), just showed up. Weird.

-Bill
Cogito ergo iPod!
Date: February 06, 2009 07:17AM
Bill,

No surprise about Fedex not getting back to you. That's typical of all the freight carriers in my experience. Once in a while they follow through with callbacks but more often than not, you're on the phone contacting them. But, I'm very happy to hear you got your package. Definitely weird.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login