Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $94.72 ( +0.78 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ice on the inside of my windshield
Posted by: raz
Date: February 05, 2009 07:01AM
For most of the past month, I've had to scrape a layer of ice off in the morning. I'm used to scraping the outside, but this inside business is new. The glass itself was replaced last fall when I took a stone on the highway. Could it be a lack some sort of coating? There's no leakage even in the hardest rain, so I don't think that's the problem.

Does anybody have a remedy for this?

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ice on the inside of my windshield
Posted by: mstudio
Date: February 05, 2009 07:11AM
Has it been exceptionally cold? I notice icing on the inside when it gets really, really cold. Happens in both of our cars so I figured it was not the windshields. Is it more "frosty" than icy?
Posted by: Doc
Date: February 05, 2009 07:14AM
> Does anybody have a remedy for this?

I've had that happen with very low windchills. Any moisture in the car will attach itself as vapor and freeze on the inside of the windshield.

You probably dragged in some snow; it melts when you have the heater on; then it condenses on the windshield and freezes.

Run the defroster as needed to clear the windshield and eventually the cold, dry air outside should take care of the problem for you.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 05, 2009 07:31AM
I'll get that in the Winter when the floor mats are wet from snow and I forget to switch the air recirculation from inside air to outside air after the cab warms up. Have to turn the airconditioner on or put the air control in defrost mode to dry the cab out.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 05, 2009 08:24AM
What billb says. Make sure your recirculation switch is set to outside air especially in winter. It will discharge the moist air-mostly from your breath-from the vehicle. My friend has had the same car for ten years and we were driving the other day and his windows were all fogged. He said he loved the car except for the windows fogging all the time. I said I'll have it fixed in five minutes; he's never switched the recirc switch to outside and for ten years has thought it was just a crappy climate control system! Amazing what you find out reading the manual...
Posted by: Cellocorman
Date: February 05, 2009 09:17AM
As others have said, it is moisture from snow you tracked into the car... In my case I think it actually vaporizes when the car is sitting in the sun all day, as I will come out and find the inside windshield or rear window frosted over after work. Another simple solution is to crack open a window or two, just far enough so they aren't sealed... when it isn't going to snow obviously.. and you won't get that icing on the inside
winking smiley
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 05, 2009 09:17AM
If you've had lots of snow, or high humidity it happens. You track snow into your car and It becomes part of a little ecosystem inside your car. The snow melts and refreezes, evaporates and condenses on the glass and freezes. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The real question is, have you ever been frozen INSIDE your car? I had to go retrieve my roommate in college when his car broke down. My doors were frozen, but the hatch still opened. I crawled in through the hatch thinking that 1) I'd be able to open the doors from the inside or 2) they'd thaw once the car warmed up. It turns out that when it is 20 below your car doesn't thaw much at all. When I got to my roommate I couldn't open the doors from inside and there was no way to open the hatch from inside either so I couldn't get out and he couldn't get in. We spent about 10 minutes wrestling with the doors until we got a window open and he was able to crawl in. It is really funny watching a grown man crawl through the window of a Mazda 323 while covered in snow wearing heaps of winter clothing. It was about the most awkward thing that I've ever seen.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: February 05, 2009 09:56AM
Like many said above, it's moisture inside your car. I have the ice on the inside too. It's because my carpeted floor mats are soaking wet from all the snow I've had on my shoes/boots. I have to bring the two front mats in (nobody sits in the back seat, so they aren't wet) and let them drip dry for the weekend. I'm always forgetting to do it, however.

I guess they could come inside overnight, then they could be shop vac. sucked the next day.

Jeff

Help us find a cure for cancer, fold proteins with TeamMacOSX!
[teammacosx.homeunix.com]
Posted by: raz
Date: February 05, 2009 10:55AM
Well, it has been exceptionally cold the past few weeks - perhaps colder than it's been since I bought this car 5 years ago. The above explanations make sense, but I'm still curious why I've never had it happen with other cars.

Perhaps this one's just better sealed.

I'll try cracking a window a bit.

Thanks all.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 05, 2009 11:39AM
I get ice on the inside on very cold mornings, but only when I breathe.
Posted by: tenders
Date: February 05, 2009 12:04PM
> We spent about 10 minutes wrestling with the doors until we got a window open and he was able to crawl in.

Then what happened? Were the two of you ever able to get out of the car, or are you still in there, posting from your tiny Dell Mini 9 with OS X installed, the only Mac with a keyboard that would fit through the crack you opened in the window?
Posted by: M>B>
Date: February 05, 2009 02:32PM
When I experience this condition I run both the heater and AC at the same time, till the condition disappears. The AC removes the humidity. Some high end cars do this automatically.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 05, 2009 04:22PM
>The AC removes the humidity
And in most cars built within the past ten years the AC compressor automatically comes on when you select the defroster. I find that annoying because the compressor, of course, makes the engine use more fuel and I would like to be able to decide when I want the compressor on but hey, what can you do...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 04:24PM by DP.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 06, 2009 01:50AM
Too many people bundle up in heavy clothing and then don't run the heater enough. Over time the humidity in the car gets out of hand. Ditching the coat and running the heater will solve the problem. I wear only a light weight sweatshirt with a hood all winter long. We had -33F not long ago. I run the heater on high most of the time.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login