advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
50 State Quarters
Posted by: wowzer
Date: February 23, 2009 08:52PM
My wife wants to spend $24.95 for newly minted 50 States quarters. This is for my son...who is collecting them.

My response is that it's a challenge to find all 50 states quarters---what's the fun of getting the entire set if you just pay for it? There's certainly no long term value of these quarters, IMO.

Is there any other way of doing this without losing $12.45 for these quarters?

Thanks.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 50 State Quarters
Posted by: karsen
Date: February 23, 2009 09:01PM
Just collect them, even if it takes years to do so it will mean a lot more to him than just buying an already completed set.

Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: February 23, 2009 09:04PM
C'mon; your kid isn't worthy of a pristine set of uncirculated state quarters (you cheap @#$%@#$)?

I've been collecting them as I come across them.

Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: February 23, 2009 09:06PM
what do the 57 state quarter kits cost?wall smiley

Bryan
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 23, 2009 09:09PM
Depends on the goal of his collection...

If that's $24.95 for a variety of UNCIRCULATED state quarters; know that the only grades of those quarters that are EVER going to exceed maybe face value plus .20 are Uncirculated and Proof coins.

If they're circulated, then yeah, it kinda takes the fun out of finding them one here, one there....

Personally, I'd pay $50 for a one-each set of uncirculated state quarters.. but I doubt I'd ever make that back.
Actually, come to think of it.. I'd be smarter to put that into other old coins.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: February 23, 2009 09:12PM
Link up with someone who lives on the other side of the country. Between my husband, here on the west coast, and his sister in Florida, they were doing a really good job of collecting the quarters not just from all the states but also from the different mints. Every so often, they'd check to see what the other person needed and send off their little treasures. After he died, I sent all that he'd collected to her, because I collect dead relatives, not coins. smiling smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 23, 2009 09:12PM
"Actually, come to think of it.. I'd be smarter to put that into other old coins."

no, ammo. going up faster than Apple stock ever did.
Date: February 23, 2009 09:18PM
Yeah, no kiddin.... I can't find Federal Gold Medal Match .308 for anything less than 5x what it cost a year ago!

That comes out of my "guns and ammo" budget...
Not my "Collectibles" budget.. :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: wowzer
Date: February 23, 2009 09:36PM
That's what my point is...if collecting is supposed to be fun, then he should find them when he sees them. If it's a matter of spending money for potential future sale, then buy the non-circulated, proof (what does that mean, btw?).

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: February 23, 2009 09:44PM
A Proof coin is one specially made by the mint to be shiny, and perfect, and untouched by human hands...
Unfortunately, the US Mint has taken to making too many Proof coins and sets of coins for them to appreciate like they used to... But they're still the finest example of any given coin.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: February 23, 2009 09:57PM
Had no idea that ammo was going up so quickly. Any idea why?
Date: February 23, 2009 09:58PM
fear of Obama mostly.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 23, 2009 10:00PM
Racer X
fear of Obama mostly.

And more than likely the flames were fanned by the ammunition manufacturers and resellers!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: February 23, 2009 10:09PM
its an open market. Demand is way higher than supply. Demand is artificial right now, stockpiling, not using.
Date: February 23, 2009 10:11PM
for the record, uncirculated are regular coins never put into circulation. Proof coins are specially polished blanks pressed with perfect dies and never touched with bare hands. I think that after a certain number of proof stampings, the dies get used for regular coins intil the dies are too worn, and retired.
Posted by: jesse
Date: February 23, 2009 10:51PM
We've been collecting them since the beginning with our daughter, we just need Hawaii and we'll have all 50. We bought her a map that folds in half, feels like a game board, and it has a place for all the quarters.
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: February 23, 2009 11:15PM
It is about ten years too late to start collecting them all from circulation. Pay up the extra cash. It sounds like bargain. I would expect more for the collection.
Date: February 24, 2009 12:33AM
I'd spend the money. Do they come with a folder or the map for display?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 24, 2009 04:23AM
My 12 year old has been collecting since the start.. he just needs 2 more and eagerly looks at each handful of change. If we had just bought them it would have just been another whatever.. This is something he did, himself, an accomplishment. That means so much more.

That said, anyone have an Oklahoma or Arizona quarter that could find it's way into his change?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: AAA
Date: February 24, 2009 07:44AM
I found/got a Roosevelt Dime PROOF back in change once. Still have it.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 24, 2009 09:36AM
Ombligo
That said, anyone have an Oklahoma or Arizona quarter that could find it's way into his change?

i'm part-timing at a Starbuck's so i'll try to keep an eye out - after i tell the shift supervisor why i'm rifling the cash register quarters, that is.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 24, 2009 05:37PM
oddly enough he found an Oklahoma quarter today.. so now it is just Arizona he craves.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020