advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $106.98 ( -0.36 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Connect phone line to network lines at patch panel?
Posted by: goosegunner
Date: February 25, 2009 10:22AM
I am working on my network I have Cat 6 lines in place with a 24 port patch panel. I need to find something that I can patch 2 or 3 of the lines into the telephone line. Not exactly sure what I am looking for but I need to;

Connect one phone pair and have it distributed to 4 phone jacks in a panel near network panel
Connect phone patch cables from cat 6 patch panel to phone jacks

or

Can I use 4 ports on the patch panel for phone distribution?

Connect incoming phone pair to port 24 and loop through ports 23,22, 21 then
patch from 1 to 24, 5 to 23 to get phone to satellite tv receivers and fax?

If so which pins would you use for 1 pair phone line?

gg
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Connect phone line to network lines at patch panel?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 25, 2009 10:47AM
I did something like this several years ago. If I recall correctly you can plug an RJ-11 plug into an RJ-45 jack. Just wire the phone line (1-pair) to the center two pins on the jack.
Date: February 25, 2009 10:54AM
Ok can I run the phone pair across the room to the patch panel and then loop it to the center pins on 3 ports to have 3 ports wired for phone on the patch panel?

Then use the short patch cords to go from

port 1 to 24 to make port 1 phone line
port 5 to 23 to make port 5 a phone line

gg
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 25, 2009 10:57AM
I've done this. RJ-11 plugs will work in RJ-45 jacks. You only need 1 twisted pair. Just make sure that they're the same pair at both ends on the same punchdowns at both ends. Just be aware that future Network Administrators will probably be baffled by this later.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Date: February 25, 2009 11:00AM
Not sure how you would connect 3 jacks (ports) from just 1 pair of wire.
I would probably just use a couple wire nuts and hook up a 3-way split from the main phone pair, then do as you say.

You might want some kind of a punch down block like this-
Date: February 25, 2009 11:06AM
I have all my keystone jacks wired to the B standard with all 8 wires punched down.

I will
plug in a RJ 11 jack into the keystone jack 1
Plug in a patch cable to port 1 on patch panel to port 24

but

I will use white blue/blue pair for phone wired to what pins on port 24? looped to 23,22

gg
Date: February 25, 2009 11:17AM
Maybe I am not explaining in this right.

I want to run a phone pair from where the line comes into the house to where I put the patch panel. I want to distribute that one line to 4 jacks for phone. Kind of like a switch.

I could use just a plain old electrical box with 2 double phone jacks next to my patch panel but there must be a cleaner solution?

gg
Date: February 25, 2009 11:20AM
Or a better question would be which color pair does a RJ 11 plug use in a Cat 6 jack?

gg
Date: February 25, 2009 11:26AM
goosegunner
Or a better question would be which color pair does a RJ 11 plug use in a Cat 6 jack?

gg

Whatever the center two are. pins 4+5
Date: February 25, 2009 11:34AM
OK, here's what I would do-

Take your phone line twisted pair with an RJ-11 plug on the end of it and plug it into an RJ-45 keystone jack. On the backside of that jack you will have the 8 wires from the cat6 cable coming out. (The center two wires are the ones that connect to the phone line input.)

You want to have 4 jacks coming out from this one, so I would cut the other 6 wires from the backside of the keystone jack and splice them into the 2 that carry the phone signal. Just strip off the insulation at the ends and twist them around. This will give you the two main center wires with the 3 from each side wrapped around the respective center wire. Just make sure the two sides don't touch!

This will give you the smallest and hopefully cleanest install. Run the other ends of the remaining 6 wires to the three other jacks.

EDIT- like this

Except the one wire would be a continuous piece, and the other one would actually be 3 wires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 11:38AM by mikebw.
Date: February 25, 2009 12:12PM
So basically make a patch box for phone with one incoming phone pair and 3 out going in a electrical box mounted next to the patch panel?

I was looking at the patch panel and thought if I ran the phone line to patch panel strip off 6 inches of outer jacket punch down in port 24 pins 4 & 5 (but not with cutter head) loop to port 23 pins 4 & 5 punch, then to 22 pins 4 &5 and punch and cut. That would give me three ports in the patch panel wired for phone and I won't need any other boxes.

I was hoping to leave the keystone wall jacks wired with all 8 wires so I would have the flexibility to use that for either phone or data by just moving a cable at the patch panel.

gg
Date: February 25, 2009 12:26PM
goosegunner
So basically make a patch box for phone with one incoming phone pair and 3 out going in a electrical box mounted next to the patch panel?

Well, not necessarily, but that would be OK.

goosegunner
I was looking at the patch panel and thought if I ran the phone line to patch panel strip off 6 inches of outer jacket punch down in port 24 pins 4 & 5 (but not with cutter head) loop to port 23 pins 4 & 5 punch, then to 22 pins 4 &5 and punch and cut. That would give me three ports in the patch panel wired for phone and I won't need any other boxes.

Ahh yes, that does sound like the better option.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 25, 2009 03:30PM
There is, of course, an easier, old school solution burnout smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login