Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Important Information For Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac Users"
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 19, 2005 09:20AM
I love MDN's take at the bottom smiling smiley

Microsoft officially ends support for Internet Explorer for Mac on December 31, 2005

Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 09:37 PM EST

Microsoft has posted "Important Information For Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac Users" on their "Mactopia" website:

In June 2003, the Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit announced that Internet Explorer for Mac would undergo no further development, and support would cease in 2005. In accordance with published support lifecycle policies, Microsoft will end support for Internet Explorer for Mac on December 31st, 2005, and will provide no further security or performance updates.

Additionally, as of January 31st, 2006, Internet Explorer for the Mac will no longer be available for download from Mactopia. It is recommended that Macintosh users migrate to more recent web browsing technologies such as Apple's Safari.

More info about Apple's Safari web browser: [www.apple.com]

MacDailyNews Take: If you use Internet Explorer for the Mac as your primary browser, it's long past time to give up the ghost. For the .025% of MacDailyNews visitors still coming here via IE for Mac, please get a real browser already, you really are scaring us!

[www.omnigroup.com]
[www.mozilla.com]
[www.apple.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Important Information For Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac Users"
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 19, 2005 09:24AM
I'm just not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight after hearing this. :}

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 19, 2005 09:28AM
I work in an all Mac environment except for two computers that people bring in themselves. So that's about 50 Macs. Most people oddly enough use IE. Some habits are hard to break.

I've recently gotten a couple of them to switch to Firefox. They hate Safari with a passion because it crashes a lot.

What can you do?

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Date: December 19, 2005 09:38AM
I've got to say I've never really had a problem in the past with Safari crashing on me. What version are the bulk of them running?
Posted by: Tofer
Date: December 19, 2005 09:46AM
The sad part is that I am forced to use IE at work (a school) because the crappy student database program (Chancery SMS) that the school bought last year only works with IE (and even if If try to change Safari or Firefox to pretend to be IE, the javascript functions are wonky and don't work).

If my school gets word of this, they'll undoubtedly use it as a reason for switching all of us to PCs, like they did with the administration last year. Ugh.

-Tofer
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 19, 2005 09:49AM
I have several work related secure sites that only work with MIE for Windoze - I've tried every browser there is in emulation and no go - I was finally forced to load VPC to be able to access them from my Mac.

Lazy, lazy programmers.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 19, 2005 09:50AM
Tofer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If my school gets word of this, they'll
> undoubtedly use it as a reason for switching all
> of us to PCs, like they did with the
> administration last year. Ugh.

Ooh, so not good. Our financial stuff is designed for IE only. So you could be right about the PC-switching, they forced me onto a Dell that way. :-(
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 19, 2005 10:01AM
The majority are in Panther. A handful are in Tiger.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Date: December 19, 2005 10:04AM
Well, that could be part of the problem, bangman, if the Safari's aren't the latest revisions.

Still and all, I've seen most "big room of computers" type guys happiest with Firefox, regardless of it being on a Mac or on Windows. They all seem to gel with it.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 19, 2005 10:54AM
This could be good for Apple. It will, among other things, mean increased market share for Safari and Firefox. Many sites do intend to be compatible with macs, and till now, they've been too quick to design sites that work only with IE on the Mac side. This is especially true of government.

We've all been bugged by sites that require us to use Explorer. And we've all seen sites that work fine in other browsers after you change the browser agent. I'm sure that this move will mean more sites will be designed to work in all browsers, or at least in Firefox. And I'd much rather see websites require Firefox than Explorer, that's for sure.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 19, 2005 10:54AM
yes, i still run into sites that will only operate well in IE. i'm told it's because of poorly written code but nonetheless, those sites are out there.

i mainly use Firefox and Opera. on a rare occasion, Netscape. Safari gives me too many spinning beachballs.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 19, 2005 11:27AM
Too bad they are deleting the download from the site. Although they won't support it they still should leave the download up there.

Some Wireless Internet places (Like Panera Bread) require you to sign on via Internet Explorer first to agree with their User Agreement then you can use your Browser of Choice to surf.

Date: December 19, 2005 12:16PM
More Mac marginalization, IMO. Despite the prevalence of Firefox and other good cross-platform browsers, this is going to shut the door a bit -- taking in point ArtP's comment.
Posted by: Tofer
Date: December 19, 2005 07:05PM
> Some Wireless Internet places (Like Panera Bread)
> require you to sign on via Internet Explorer first
> to agree with their User Agreement then you can
> use your Browser of Choice to surf.

I've logged in at Panera with Safari, no problems.

-Tofer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018