advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.50 ( +0.25 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Should I use 4-cycle Small Engine Oil or just SAE-30 weight which I already have in this Craftsman Lawnmower
Posted by: Microman
Date: March 02, 2009 10:08PM
Have a craftsman model 917.383280 lawnmower. I searched the internet and downloded a PDF manual. In the manual it says to use SAE30 at 32 degrees and above and SAE 5W30 below 32 degrees.

When I was at sears today, and bought the spark plug, air filter, and some oil, I bought the bottle of 4-Cycle Small Engine oil, labeled with the Craftsman Brand. Is this ok to use. Is this engine a 4 cycle engine? or are all lawnmowers? or should I just use some SAE 30 weight, that I have.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 10:08PM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Should I use 4-cycle Small Engine Oil or just SAE-30 weight which I already have in this Craftsman Lawnmower
Date: March 02, 2009 10:10PM
I use SAE 30 weight Valvoline in my Lawn Boy 4 cycle lawnmower, works fine.
Re: Should I use 4-cycle Small Engine Oil or just SAE-30 weight which I already have in this Craftsman Lawnmower
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: March 02, 2009 10:26PM
What is the rating on the Craftsman oil that you bought ? Chances are that it is a straight 30 weight
which would be fine for most small engine applications.

Many manufacturers do not recommend a multi-weight oil for small engine application because
they do not always lubricate as well on a non pressurized system that depends on "splash lubrication"

I'm guessing the Craftsman will be fine for your use - but double check the weight.

Posted by: M>B>
Date: March 02, 2009 10:37PM
The 4-Cycle Small Engine oil is to be mixed with the gas/fuel according to the instructions on the bottle. It is used in engines that do not use the splash lubrication method, such as chain saws and weed eaters.
Date: March 02, 2009 11:13PM
M>B>
The 4-Cycle Small Engine oil is to be mixed with the gas/fuel according to the instructions on the bottle. It is used in engines that do not use the splash lubrication method, such as chain saws and weed eaters.

4 cycles don't use oil in the fuel - that would be a 2 cycle engine

I'm assuming this is what you bought - which is SAE 30 weight [www.sears.com]

Posted by: Pat
Date: March 02, 2009 11:17PM
Your engine is a 4 cycle and that oil is fine.

Edit: What laf said, I type slow.

M>B>

I guess the only harm in that method is the smoke cloud and fouled plug. Messing up the other way would result in a trip to the engine shop.

4 stroke
2 stroke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 11:21PM by Pat.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: March 03, 2009 12:02AM
Fill & Pat,

Me wrong quickly mistook 4 for 2.

Thanks for your correction.
Date: March 03, 2009 12:08AM
M>B>
Fill & Pat,

Me wrong quickly mistook 4 for 2.

Thanks for your correction.

I did a double take on the original post as well

You normally won't see motor oil of the crank case variety labeled 4-cycle instead of just oil.
2 stroke oil is labled so for the obvious reason.

it was a bit confusing - but then again it's Sears.

Date: March 03, 2009 07:43AM
I am at work now, but that looks like the stuff I bought. But I don't remember the SAE 30 being so prominent as on the picture, when I get home, I will open my eyes, and read the bottle more carefully.
Date: March 06, 2009 09:29AM
I know this thread is way back, but must add this. Went and exchanged the oil for SAE30 sitting there on the shelf. In exactly the right amount in the bottle.

Lady that was working there insisted this is what they sell to everyone, and all lawnmowers and she actually thought that all those black bottles were the same, just maybe the quantity. I tried to explain about Viscosity and weight of the oil, but she just gave me the SPINAL TAP answer, see it goes to "Eleven"
Posted by: backforty
Date: March 22, 2009 01:07PM
I have a Craftsman 4-cycle single stage 21" model 536.88140 snow blower. I don't have the owner's manual. Can anyone tell me how do you drain the oil? I don't see a drain plug.

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login