advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The anguish!! Somebody make me do it!
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: March 05, 2009 10:10AM
I have a Samsung LN46A630 in my Amazon shopping cart, and I've got the credit card info partially completed. Somebody make me complete this order before I lose out on another model I want! Tell me what a great set it is and how happy I'll be! Lie to me if you have to!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The anguish!! Somebody make me do it!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 05, 2009 10:13AM
I got this exact same model for Christmas and it is awesome, you'll love it.
Posted by: macphanatic
Go for it, you know you want it. 1080P, 120 Hz refresh, what's not to like?
Posted by: rgG
You will feel such a rush of relief after you hit the "place order" button!

Go For It!!!

After all, an asteroid could take us all out next week anyway. tongue smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: March 05, 2009 10:15AM
rgG
After all, an asteroid could take us all out next week anyway. tongue smiley

And what better to watch it happen on than your new 46" SAMSUNG LN46A630 LCD TV!!
Date: March 05, 2009 10:21AM
I DID IT!!!!

The delivery date is said to be Thursday, March 12. Whew. I'm exhausted. I may have to lie down for a while.

Watch for my upcoming question about HDMI cables. I'm not even sure what they're for, only that I'll need them. It? See what I mean?!

Now I have to order the thingy to keep the TV on the wall, and nobody ever explained to me what "cantilever" means. This is the mount I'm thinking of getting, because it looks like it would be capable of twisting and turning in any conceivable direction.

[www.costco.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 05, 2009 10:25AM
YEA!!!

BunBun is proud of you! Now go take a nap.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: DavidS
Date: March 05, 2009 10:31AM
Congrats!

I'll be the first to say it.

Monoprice.com for your HDMI and any other cables. Great service, reasonable shipping, great quality cables for cheap.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: March 05, 2009 11:08AM
DavidS
Congrats!

Monoprice.com for your HDMI and any other cables. Great service, reasonable shipping, great quality cables for cheap.

agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 05, 2009 11:43AM
And what better to watch it happen on than your new 46" SAMSUNG LN46A630 LCD TV!!

POMTL!!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: artie67
Date: March 05, 2009 11:51AM
Your Costco mount we refer to as a "swing-arm" mount. Designed for situations when viewing positions change and you want to adjust the TV for the best picture. Like straight on when viewing in bed and then turning it to face a chair when you get up. For just "straight on" viewing the Monoprice #3900 should to the trick. I recently installed a 32" with the smaller #4117 unit and quality was excellent. Enjoy!
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: March 05, 2009 11:54AM
A 46-inch TV? What got into you? Have you suddenly turned into a male?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 05, 2009 12:11PM
God, I love when a woman asks you to lie to her. smiling smiley

It is what it is.
Date: March 05, 2009 12:11PM
artie67
Your Costco mount we refer to as a "swing-arm" mount. Designed for situations when viewing positions change and you want to adjust the TV for the best picture. Like straight on when viewing in bed and then turning it to face a chair when you get up. For just "straight on" viewing the Monoprice #3900 should to the trick. I recently installed a 32" with the smaller #4117 unit and quality was excellent. Enjoy!

Thank you. And the one that can be changed is what I want, because the TV will be in a room where there are two places from which I would want to watch it - yes, the bed and the chair. I also want to be sure the mount I get will give me access to the back of the set without having to take the danged TV down.

Well, Gutie, what can I say?! If I'm going to do this, I might as well do it up right!

Oh, and rgG, does that "rush of relief" feel anything like butterflies in one's stomach? No? Hmmmm. I guess the relief part is still being overwhelmed by images of next month's credit card balance! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 12:15PM by AlphaDog.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: March 05, 2009 12:34PM
Well, honeypie, that must be SOME remote, that's all I've got to say.wink smiley

Do you have a 12-year-old kid around to help you hook it up? Because otherwise it will take you days, believe me.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 05, 2009 12:49PM
Don't do it!!

Oh, too late. :-)

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 05, 2009 12:54PM
h, and rgG, does that "rush of relief" feel anything like butterflies in one's stomach?

More like warm, melted caramel in your veins.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 05, 2009 01:31PM
Gutenberg
Do you have a 12-year-old kid around to help you hook it up? Because otherwise it will take you days, believe me.

Initially, all I'll have to worry about is the power cord and finding the right connection for the cable coming out of the wall. I'm relying on the cable guy to connect the HD-DVR when he comes out the following week. Now if I do have trouble with the power cord, there is a 12 year at the end of the street that owes me a favor!
Posted by: raz
Date: March 05, 2009 02:17PM
AlphaDog
Gutenberg

Initially, all I'll have to worry about is the power cord and finding the right connection for the cable coming out of the wall. I'm relying on the cable guy to connect the HD-DVR when he comes out the following week. Now if I do have trouble with the power cord, there is a 12 year at the end of the street that owes me a favor!

The HD/DVR has an HDMI port, and so does your TV (well, several, but pick one). Connect HDMI cable to each. Select the correct input on your TV. Done.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: March 05, 2009 04:23PM
AlphaDog
I'm relying on the cable guy to connect the HD-DVR when he comes out the following week.

NO! Never trust a cable guy to do anything. Let him do his thing but make sure you check it later. I find the faster I can get them to leave the sooner I can start correcting their mistakes.

raz
The HD/DVR has an HDMI port, and so does your TV (well, several, but pick one). Connect HDMI cable to each. Select the correct input on your TV. Done.

YES! It really is that simple.

When the cable guy hooked up my HD-DVR to my HDTV a few years ago he used a plain old coaxial cable. A asked him straight out- "does that support the HD output from the box?" He said "yes" which is a lie or he honestly did not know the answer. The only cables that can support HD resolution video are VGA, Composite, DVI or HDMI. They should supply you with the appropriate one.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 05, 2009 05:27PM
WHiiP
DavidS
Congrats!

agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley agree smiley
agree smiley

Just had to follow-up on it.
Date: March 05, 2009 05:38PM
Gutenberg
A 46-inch TV? What got into you? Have you suddenly turned into a male?

If that were the case she'd be referring to her new 46" TV as her new 50" TV. smiling smiley

It is what it is.
Date: March 05, 2009 05:40PM
mikebw
The only cables that can support HD resolution video are VGA, component, DVI or HDMI. They should supply you with the appropriate one.

Corrected.

It is what it is.
Date: March 05, 2009 05:51PM
mikebw
When the cable guy hooked up my HD-DVR to my HDTV a few years ago he used a plain old coaxial cable. A asked him straight out- "does that support the HD output from the box?" He said "yes" which is a lie or he honestly did not know the answer. The only cables that can support HD resolution video are VGA, Composite, DVI or HDMI. They should supply you with the appropriate one.

You know, you just confirmed something I suspected. In 2003, my husband chose a Mitsubishi HD ready 42" TV. After he died, in early 2005, I decided to add HD. The Comcast guy came out and installed the new box (it wasn't a DVR), and he showed me where the HD channels were located. He left, and I sat and fiddled with that set off and on for several days, but I could never see a difference between the image on the "standard" channels and those that were HD. I asked several other people to look at it, and none of them could tell a difference, either, so I had Comcast come out and remove the HD box.

Somewhere along the line I did begin to wonder if it was the cable, because I don't remember seeing him change that. Of course, the other thing that's changed in four years is that I've become better educated about this whole HDTV thing, so I can't rule out the possibility that the programs I was switching to on the HD channel were not actually being broadcast in HD at the time I was looking. At this point I'll never know. I might (I said "might") get a straight HD box and try hooking it to that Mitsubishi again. The set itself is still nice, but I have to retire an old CRT, so I decided to shuffle sets and do a major upgrade.

This is going to be interesting, and I'm finally over the shock of commitment and am looking forward to getting the new TV. Is it next Thursday yet?
Posted by: Black
Date: March 06, 2009 01:07AM
Don't do it!

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: March 06, 2009 03:25AM
N-OS X-tasy!
mikebw
The only cables that can support HD resolution video are VGA, component, DVI or HDMI. They should supply you with the appropriate one.

Corrected.

Thanks, you're right.
Date: March 06, 2009 05:03AM
And actually, some Mitsubishi HDTV's came with Firewire inputs that would also support HD, but that is certainly not common.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018