advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tabs for finder windows
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: March 06, 2009 12:46PM
Two of the features that I use a lot in Safari are the tabbed browsing feature and the ability to "merge all windows" when things get a bit too scattered on my screen. This got me to wondering whether there is any sort of a hack or add-on to allow one to do the same thing with open finder windows. I know you can relegate open windows to the dock, but I'll often find myself cycling through several open folder windows. If they could all be in one tabbed place (but not locked down like the taskbar in windows) it would make some jobs easier. Has anyone seen anything like this out there?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tabs for finder windows
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 06, 2009 12:52PM
Take a look at Exposé. By default, F11 dims all app windows except the one you're in.

So even if you've got a zillion Finder windows open and on top of each other, they'll spread out and you can instantly click on the one you want.

It's not tabs --- but you may find it to be even faster for getting at what you want.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 06, 2009 02:14PM
I like the suggestion of a tabbed Finder, maybe not as a default, but surely as an option. Don't know of anything that will replicated this behavior. No… wait… I lied… I think Path Finder has an option for this behavior. I don't use Path Finder, so I might be misunderstanding this info:

Advanced tabbrowsing (Tab Sets, Combine as Tabs, drag-reorder, vertical tabs, etc)

deckeda,
Good advice on using Exposé. I am surprised how many Mac users don't exploit the full use of Exposé. Very handy tool indeed.

Nathan
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: March 06, 2009 02:48PM
Path Finder
[www.cocoatech.com]
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: March 06, 2009 03:59PM
Thanks--off to try Pathfinder!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020