advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Spoiler? How many days until it's not a spoiler?
Posted by: h linamen
Date: March 31, 2009 09:09PM
A week ago I inadvertantly dropped a spoiler and gave my heartfelt apology when it was criticized because of the broadcast time delay between east coast and west coast. That concern I understand.

Since then I've read several comments about spoilers and some are upset when info is given several days after a broadcast. Hey, are there some that don't understand the world doesn't stop just because they haven't watched their DVR recording even a few days later.

Who wants to wait a week to have a discussion or observation about something that is old news by then?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Spoiler? How many days until it's not a spoiler?
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: March 31, 2009 09:20PM
amen

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 31, 2009 09:23PM
I think that within 24 hours you should put it in the hidden spoiler feature. After that I think that it is fair game.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Black
Date: March 31, 2009 09:23PM
h linamen
A week ago I inadvertantly dropped a spoiler and gave my heartfelt apology when it was criticized because of the broadcast time delay between east coast and west coast. That concern I understand.

Since then I've read several comments about spoilers and some are upset when info is given several days after a broadcast. Hey, are there some that don't understand the world doesn't stop just because they haven't watched their DVR recording even a few days later.

Who wants to wait a week to have a discussion or observation about something that is old news by then?

The time zone thing was just one example.
I have a lot of coworkers who follow the same shows but sometimes don't get to watch them due to their kids' obligations or other life situations, and sometimes get weeks behind. None of us have any trouble just not talking about a show if we know someone else is following it but behind. I would hope people can show the same respect to others here and not get pulled down to a less civilized level by the cloak of anonymity.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: michaelb
Date: March 31, 2009 09:27PM
I think the standard should be to not put spoilers in the title (MSU Wins!) and if there is a spoiler in the thread, for the title to be obvious about the subject matter. I am not going to read threads about BSG, because I haven't watched all the episodes yet.
Date: March 31, 2009 09:30PM
ztirffritz
I think that within 24 hours you should put it in the hidden spoiler feature. After that I think that it is fair game.

The criticism request was very clearly and very specifically relative to subject line spoilers.
(names changed because I sure as heck ain't telling you all which shows I'm behind on)
Example: Subject: ________ written out of series!
Example: Subject: Adama!!!!! Nooooooooo!!!!!
Example: Sylar Lives!! Yes!!

The spoiler feature is now being overused to the point of ridiculousness. Clearly label your thread with the TV show it relates to, leave character names and obviously plot details out of the subject line, and just assume that anyone who clicks on the thread is ready for spoilers.

Posted by: lafinfil
I think the safest course of action is to not include any spoilers in the headlines - period

If you post a headline that is a general "This weeks official thread" with no spoiler in the actual headline
then anyone that wants to a void a spoiler is capable of deciding not to click on the thread - simple

Out of further politeness it might be a nobel gestures to hide a spoiler in a thread using the provided feature
if you are on the east coast (EST or CST) and the event has just been broadcast. That aloes a general discussion
of a show to take place without revealing any juicy details to folks out west.

Posted by: AlphaDog
Personally, if I record something and don't watch it right away, that's my problem, not yours. Since I live where tonight's Dancing with the Stars won't start for another 90 minutes, right coasters telling me who got booted before the show has aired here is guilty of a spoiler! smiling smiley

After the show is over in all time zones, I think it can become fair game for discussion. Adding "Spoiler" in the subject line along with the name of the show is always a good option that gives people fair warning.

I think the thread that started the most recent discussions about spoilers was the one where the outcome of a program was announced in the subject, with no warnings or the chance to choose not to read the thread. Once you glanced at the title, you got the information, whether you wanted it or not, and you didn't even have to open it.
michaelb
I think the standard should be to not put spoilers in the title (MSU Wins!) and if there is a spoiler in the thread, for the title to be obvious about the subject matter. I am not going to read threads about BSG, because I haven't watched all the episodes yet.

Exactly.

Date: March 31, 2009 09:32PM
I think the forum's clock is on the fritz-- all posts show the same time :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 09:33PM by Black.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 31, 2009 09:52PM
i think tv shows should be spoiled as soon as possible, in subject lines, because tv is a waste of time!
old fogey smiley

Posted by: Doc
Date: March 31, 2009 09:52PM
There doesn't seem to be a hard rule.

I forget the details, but awhile back, somebody here complained about my post which discussed a show from a few seasons back.

The complaint was that s/he'd just started watching from the beginning with rentals from Netflix or something like that and didn't want to know what was coming.

These days, I just try to follow other people's leads on spoilers. If there's a post with spoiler-text about a show that aired decades ago, my response will generally be in spoiler-text as well.

...And I sometimes put risqué or potentially offensive pics in spoiler-blocks as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 09:55PM by Doc.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: March 31, 2009 10:00PM
Black
I have a lot of coworkers who follow the same shows but sometimes don't get to watch them due to their kids' obligations or other life situations, and sometimes get weeks behind.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 31, 2009 10:05PM
I started a big tiff over this some time (years?) back when someone posted, within a hour or so of the episode's end, 'BSG - OMG! They killed Billy!" (Doc -- was that you?)

My suggestion was, simply, to use something like "SPOILERS! Tonight's BSG" as headline/title rather than something so blatant.

BTW, agreed re/Elizabeth Montgomery.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 10:05PM by Zoidberg.
Date: March 31, 2009 10:05PM
Seacrest
Black
I have a lot of coworkers who follow the same shows but sometimes don't get to watch them due to their kids' obligations or other life situations, and sometimes get weeks behind.

Below-the-belt context-yank.
Now you have to look at the whole statement again:

The time zone thing was just one example.
I have a lot of coworkers who follow the same shows but sometimes don't get to watch them due to their kids' obligations or other life situations, and sometimes get weeks behind. None of us have any trouble just not talking about a show if we know someone else is following it but behind. I would hope people can show the same respect to others here and not get pulled down to a less civilized level by the cloak of anonymit

Date: March 31, 2009 10:08PM
Zoidberg
My suggestion was, simply, to use something like "SPOILERS! Tonight's BSG" as headline/title rather than something so blatant.

bubb rubb smiley

Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: March 31, 2009 10:22PM
TV is one thing; 24 hours seems reasonable. Movies are entirely different: months.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: artie67
Date: March 31, 2009 10:36PM
Lighten up! The west coast gets the best weather three hours later then the east cost. Give us the Dell mini and Apple refurb tips when they come up and other good buys. The rest is a "judgement call". I have posted late before on posts because of the time difference and "taken my lumps", my purpose was to inform and in the future I will post PST when necessary.
Date: March 31, 2009 10:41PM
Zoidberg
I started a big tiff over this some time (years?) back when someone posted, within a hour or so of the episode's end, 'BSG - OMG! They killed Billy!" (Doc -- was that you?)

Nope. I'm a little more laid back about tv shows and know not to lay out plot in the subject-line.

I don't remember ever using OMG!! to preface a new thread... maybe once sarcastically.

Zoidberg
BTW, agreed re/Elizabeth Montgomery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 10:42PM by Doc.
Posted by: AAA
Date: March 31, 2009 10:42PM
If you're taking a vote, I don't mind spoilers at all. I won't remember what anyone said.

Only possibly a spoiler would have ruined "Sixth Sense". But I can't imagine I would care if I knew the outcome of any story or game ahead of time. (yes game, that makes no sense)

Do people avoid reading books because they might find out the ending of a movie?

Again, Bring on all-caps and spoilers. I'm a big boy.
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: March 31, 2009 11:21PM
A spoiler is always a spoiler and it never expires because there will always be someone who has not seen Empire Strikes Back and does not know Try to be considerate even to people that wait over a decade to see a movie.
Date: April 01, 2009 12:07AM
We've reached the point in the thread where people find it too laborious to read anything but the subject line before posting.

So maybe this will help:

We are talking specifically about:

SUBJECT

LINE

SPOILERS

Date: April 01, 2009 12:55AM
Black
We are talking specifically about...

Re-read the OP.
Date: April 01, 2009 01:52AM
Doc
Black
We are talking specifically about...

Re-read the OP.

h linamen misunderstood the previous request, and started this thread on a mistaken (or misunderstood) premise.
Re-read the 3-4 posts in a row that attempt to clarify that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 01:53AM by Black.
Date: April 01, 2009 02:09AM
Black
h linamen misunderstood the previous request, and started this thread on a mistaken (or misunderstood) premise.
Re-read the 3-4 posts in a row that attempt to clarify that.

He has not made another post in this thread since the OP.

Any "clarifying" that was done was interpretive and non-binding.

judge smiley
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: April 01, 2009 02:45AM
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: April 01, 2009 06:41AM

stick poke smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 06:42AM by WHiiP.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 01, 2009 07:43AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 239
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018