advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
uhhh, I'll pass on the coffee
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 03, 2009 08:48AM
it never fails to amaze me what people will drink as long as it is labeled "coffee."

I go to numerous meetings off site and people inevitably offer me coffee, which is pretty easy to decline however if it is a situation where they say, "Let's grab some coffee," I will usually say yes. And then they stop at the convenience store and pour some brownish liquid into a cup and wait for me to do the same. I need to come up with some euphemisms for saying, "no, thanks..."

drool smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: uhhh, I'll pass on the coffee
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 03, 2009 08:49AM
Just stick with Tea. Or act all healthy and go for a bottle of water.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 03, 2009 09:02AM
mmmmmmmmmmm I like when friends offer to make a Starbugs run. Makes my day.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 03, 2009 09:02AM
In those situations I stick with tea as well. You can't screw THAT up.

No sugar. No milk. Just tea and hot water... maybe a bit of lemon IF there are sanitary tongs on or near the plate of lemons. Ehhh.. I change my mind, scratch that, no lemon. Just tea and hot water.

This works especially well on the plane when the attendants come around asking people if they want coffee. Bleh!! Tea please!
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: April 03, 2009 09:03AM
Kopi luwak, anyone?

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: April 03, 2009 09:25AM
Maybe the way to think about is:

Let's pretend that you're a guy (I don't know) and you're going out with a guy friend to a club. The two of you meet two girls who are friends, and let's say that neither girl is to your tastes. However, your friend digs one of the girls and is ready to go off an hook up with her. Problem is, there's the other girl who, for whatever reason, you find quite offensive.

Do you take the girl that you find offensive and do her just because your friend is doing it?

Start from there and I think you'll find your answer.

Personally speaking, I enjoy great quality coffees and have had some of the best the world has to offer. Whether it's from a crappy office brewer or at 7-11, I always decline. Politely or vehemently - depending on how good a friend I am with the person.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 03, 2009 09:30AM
I just don't like coffee, makes it pretty easy for me. I'm pretty darn frugal so I figure it's another way to save money and I don't want to become dependent on caffeine either. Only trouble is when I might be out with a group who wants to stop at Starbucks for coffee, I usually end up with hot chocolate which is fine. I pretty much refuse to buy bottled water too.
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 03, 2009 09:38AM
mrbigstuff
I need to come up with some euphemisms for saying, "no, thanks..."

I'm trying to figure out why.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: April 03, 2009 09:45AM
I always tell friends that I don't drink coffee, that I've lost the taste for it (which is mostly true). That way I mostly stick to tea, but if they end up offering me coffee that does smell good, I can always make an exception. The point is that nobody now expects me to drink coffee.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: April 03, 2009 09:56AM
I've never drank coffee except to taste it a few times over the years.

Tastes like burnt water to me.

3P
Posted by: volcs0
Date: April 03, 2009 09:57AM
My sole purpose for drinking coffee in the morning is to inject caffeine into my system. The form is of no consequence. My wife really enjoys coffee, so we make decent stuff at home, but I ruin it by pouring 2% milk into it so I can chug it down. This morning, I had to run out, so I downed some of the coffee at the Au Bon Pain... same effect - caffeine in system.
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 03, 2009 10:14AM
Gee. I'll pretty much drink anything that anybody labels as "coffee" as long as the general area around is clean (enough...). I certainly have liked some more than others, but that doesn't usually stop me from giving it a shot.

Must be the addict in me talking.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 03, 2009 10:18AM

Kopi luwak, anyone?

[en.wikipedia.org]

This is what convinced me that coffee fanatics (not coffee drinkers, but the fanatics) are just not right in the head...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 03, 2009 10:24AM
Just tell them that you were expecting coffee from XXXXX place. Cause that coffee and home brew are the only brews you drink. That and getting tea instead. Those are the only alternatives to telling them "I'm not drinking that brown @#$%& labeled coffee."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2009 10:25AM by Carm.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 03, 2009 10:37AM
wurm
mrbigstuff
I need to come up with some euphemisms for saying, "no, thanks..."

I'm trying to figure out why.

because I have just said, in effect, "Yes, let's grab some coffee." So, when I arrive at the dirty thermal carafe in the store, I'm usually repulsed. But, the other person is not. Saying no at this point is an indictment of the other person's taste. Hence, my need to come up with a euphemism.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 03, 2009 10:58AM
many people, myself included, add so much crap to the coffee it usually doesn't matter what the original source was. exceptions are convenience store coffee where you can see it's been sitting there for half a day. i also refuse to buy at places that only offer non-dairy creamer.

mikebw, Starbuck's has a number of teas. save the calories and order one of those when you're trapped there. or if you don't mind the calories, in addition to the hot chocolate offerings, there's a Caramel Apple Spice - steamed apple juice, syrup sweetener, whipped cream and caramel sauce.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: April 03, 2009 11:00AM
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee."

--Abe Lincoln
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: April 03, 2009 11:23AM
Paul F.

Kopi luwak, anyone?

[en.wikipedia.org]

This is what convinced me that coffee fanatics (not coffee drinkers, but the fanatics) are just not right in the head...

While I don't think Kopi Luwak is anything notable other than its' source (I've tried it now twice), a visit to your local chicken growing and processing facilities is much more offensive than the notion of drinking coffee @#$%& from a civet.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 03, 2009 11:36AM
Sopme convenience store coffee is OK. Some is horrid.
Going out for 'coffee' can incude gatoraide, no ?
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: April 03, 2009 11:44AM
billb
Sopme convenience store coffee is OK. Some is horrid.
Going out for 'coffee' can incude gatoraide, no ?

I can get a better cup of coffee for a buck at the QT gas station than that three dollar bilge water at Starbucks.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 03, 2009 12:06PM
*sip*

mrbigstuff
And then they stop at the convenience store and

*sip*

Why are you getting coffee at a convenience store? That's the problem right there. I have to drive past a dozen coffee shops to get to the nearest convenience store.

*big sip*

I drink coffee because I like the taste. Heck, I even drink decaf these days.

*sip*

I think tea is easier to screw up. I like mine black. I drink coffee in the morning, and iced tea in the afternoon. (yes, I've befriended one of the best dentists in the area. he's a mac guy too.) If I order an iced tea from starbucks, here's how I have to order it:
- Venti
- no water
- black
- iced tea
- unsweetened

Otherwise it some awful, watered down, sweetened, fruity... drink. I want tea, not potpourri with sugar water.

*sip*

Good coffee is great. If it tastes like burnt water, it's bad coffee.

And, yes, I am one of those people who not only has a vacuum sealed, stainless coffee cup for my desk, but I also have a travel one that I take with me when I travel.

*sip*

I like to slowly drink my hot coffee over hours.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: April 03, 2009 08:14PM
Whatever happens,
keep us in the loop. We care.
And you need support.

(Can this count as a Friday haiku?)

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Black
Date: April 03, 2009 08:27PM
M A V I C
*sip*

mrbigstuff
And then they stop at the convenience store and

*sip*

Why are you getting coffee at a convenience store? That's the problem right there. I have to drive past a dozen coffee shops to get to the nearest convenience store.

*big sip*

I drink coffee because I like the taste. Heck, I even drink decaf these days.

*sip*

I think tea is easier to screw up. I like mine black. I drink coffee in the morning, and iced tea in the afternoon. (yes, I've befriended one of the best dentists in the area. he's a mac guy too.) If I order an iced tea from starbucks, here's how I have to order it:
- Venti
- no water
- black
- iced tea
- unsweetened

Otherwise it some awful, watered down, sweetened, fruity... drink. I want tea, not potpourri with sugar water.

*sip*

Good coffee is great. If it tastes like burnt water, it's bad coffee.

And, yes, I am one of those people who not only has a vacuum sealed, stainless coffee cup for my desk, but I also have a travel one that I take with me when I travel.

*sip*

I like to slowly drink my hot coffee over hours.

I would too if it stayed hot. I've taken to preheating the mug in the microwave (with water in it) for the last few months, to get an extra few minutes of warm sipping out of the affair,
Any particular thermal mug you'd recommend?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 04, 2009 08:00AM
Michael
Gee. I'll pretty much drink anything that anybody labels as "coffee" as long as the general area around is clean (enough...). I certainly have liked some more than others, but that doesn't usually stop me from giving it a shot.

Must be the addict in me talking.

I'm with Michael on this. For me coffee is a caffeine delivery system. If I happen to get up before the wife (a rare occurrence) I'll pour whatever was left in the pot from yesterday and nuke it. After two shots I'm good to go.
Date: April 04, 2009 11:15AM
CJsNvrUrly
Whatever happens,
keep us in the loop. We care.
And you need support.

(Can this count as a Friday haiku?)

This was supposed to go with a different thread. How did that happen? I'll have to copy it there. Sorry!

bunny smileyCentral VA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020