Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.94 ( +5.93 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What is a good cough suppressant?
Posted by: trisho.
Date: March 26, 2006 08:08PM
Heyo. I was sick beginning of last week and now I've been left with an nagging cough for the last 5 days. It's a really bad hacking cough almost. Last week I worked freelance onsite and was coughing the whole time. I don't want that to happen again. What is a really good suppressant, whether natural or chemical like Robotussin? I don't care. I just want to get rid of this thing because my abdominals are beginning to hurt and I'm starting to look like a sick leper.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What is a good cough suppressant?
Posted by: tortoise
Date: March 26, 2006 08:17PM
NyQuil has always shut it down for me (actually the generic version of Nyquil at Costco is what I use these days)
Date: March 26, 2006 08:21PM
I'm thinking of taking NyQuil tonight before bed just to try it out, but I'm thinking about what I need during the especially. NyQuil is a no go for that...

Jeez, this is a really bad cough and I don't even smoke. Yes, it's that bad. It's hard to preserve the sexy when you're bronchial coughing everywhere.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 26, 2006 08:22PM
Dextromethorphan is the OTC solution. WallyWorld or brand, the quantities are pretty low. Rx of it is much higher. It is an excellent compound that works via the CNS, but has some interesting interactions with other Rx's, so you are best to use it at not more than 2x OTC directions without the watchful eye of your local practicing witch doctor.

Low dose codeine is also at the top of the list, and depending on your state, you can get it from the pharmacist without an Rx. Different mode of action - the above is on the brain, the opiates work within the bronchial receptors.
Date: March 26, 2006 08:25PM
one other thing.... and this is critically important during times of sensitivity.

Get a tyvek or vinyl cover for you mattress and buy a high quality tyvek/film combo pillow cover. Wash your pillows and linens in HOT, dry 'em, and put the covers on.

The degree to which individual sensitivity goes up to dust mite allergins (once irritated) is logorithmic.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: March 26, 2006 08:31PM
Jimmypoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dextromethorphan is the OTC solution. WallyWorld
> or brand, the quantities are pretty low. Rx of it
> is much higher. It is an excellent compound that
> works via the CNS, but has some interesting
> interactions with other Rx's, so you are best to
> use it at not more than 2x OTC directions without
> the watchful eye of your local practicing witch
> doctor.
>
> Low dose codeine is also at the top of the list,
> and depending on your state, you can get it from
> the pharmacist without an Rx. Different mode of
> action - the above is on the brain, the opiates
> work within the bronchial receptors.

Jimmypoo is pretty good at this! I called the consulting nurse from my health insurance company the other day, asking the same question. She, too recommended something with dextromethorphan as the primary active ingredient, and it was Robitussin DM she mentioned by brand. What I thought was a bad cough due to allergies turned out to be the nastiest cold I've had in a decade, though. sad smiley
Posted by: JEBB
Date: March 26, 2006 08:35PM
Robitussin has one preparation in which the only active ingredient is dextromethorphan. That's the one to buy first.
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 26, 2006 08:37PM
Vicks Vapor Rub on the feet is supposed to help. Haven't tried it myself but some friends of my mom swear it helps.
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: March 26, 2006 08:44PM
Codeine. Not sure if it is over the counter though here in USA. Back home it was (and still is I believe) over the counter. I took it ever since I was a kid. No problem.

HOWEVER!

I just wonder what's next, we will have a medical consultation forum, and we'll sue each other when something goes wrong??? Why don't you see a doctor rather than take advice from some people you never met in real live and you have no clue about their competencies.
Date: March 26, 2006 08:45PM
One (viral infection/allergic infection) easily turns into the other - as far as the symptoms go. Once an infection grabs hold, you've got a problem, and the answer for that ends up being long dose macrolides.

The thing about DXM is that it doesn't inhibit cilia in the lungs from cleaning the lining of the lungs, whereas the other options can slow/halt that action.

DXM is a real popular hallucinagen these days. Cough drops like "HOLD" went off the market because morons were melting them down for the concentrate.
Date: March 26, 2006 08:47PM
Can't sue me.

I dropped out of the program.
Date: March 26, 2006 08:48PM
I'm going to look up the different Robitussins right now. Hopefully I can get it before work tomorrow.

Jimmypoo was all over the technical info up there. Dang. Thanks, 'poo.

Pam Wrote:
> Vicks Vapor Rub on the feet is supposed to help.
> Haven't tried it myself but some friends of my mom
> swear it helps.

You know, when we were growing up our mom made us rub Vapor Rub on our chests or Ben Gay if we wanted something stronger. We switched to strictly Ben Gay after Vicks weakened Vapor Rub's formula because of the rave scene. I still rub Ben Gay on my chest the first few nights I'm sick and it helps break the cold. Just a tip.

Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: March 26, 2006 08:54PM
I take Vicodin when I need to STOP COUGHING. Mainly for the Codeine.

Date: March 26, 2006 08:55PM
New.Dad Wrote:
>Why don't you see a doctor
> rather than take advice from some people you never
> met in real live and you have no clue about their
> competencies.

I wanted to see what other people had to say first about possible remedies. I don't take a lot of medications like Robitussin or even headache medicine sometimes. If I have a headache and am at home, I just lie down for an hour or two and drink some water. I don't have a frame of reference for OTC stuff at all...
Delsym!
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: March 26, 2006 08:55PM
Some recent studies have shown that your typical dosage of DM has an effect only slightly better than placebo, if that. Bigger doses may work better but don't mess around with higher doses without first talking to a doctor.

If you're coughing up sputum, an expectorant might help. Guaifesin is the most common, but controlled studies on that are mixed at best as well.

But hey, I take stuff when I cough: Delsym. It's dextromethorphan but in a different form so that it lasts twelve hours. I swear by it. Sure, it could be a placebo effect, but I had that three-week cold in Jan/Feb and I could get a good night's sleep only after taking Delsym.

That's a lot of pesto.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 26, 2006 08:58PM
Luden's honey licorice cough drops help a lot for me. They don't have any chemical suppressant in them - they just seem to sooth my throat and make it easier for me to not cough. Of course, if your body is "causing" you to cough because you've got a lot of mucus and stuff to move up and out (a "wet" cough), then maybe you should not suppress it. But a lot of the time I think coughing initiates a cycle of more coughing that isn't related to a particularly beneficial effect and in that case just making up your mind to not cough and do your best to follow through can make a big difference - that's where the soothing part of the Luden's honey licorice drops can help. I suppose there's a good chance it won't work for you, but what the heck, it might and it won't hurt anything to try.
Date: March 26, 2006 09:03PM
Wait until you look a little closer at the sponsor of the clinical research "against" DXM.

Patent was granted ~~1960. Someone has a variant coming. Most likely an enantiomer that will fetch $4/teaspoon vs. 2 cents. This game has been going on for 50 years.

I do agree, however, that OTC dosing of DXM doesn't cut it. Rx tabs are often 10x the dose, in either IR or CR form. Delsym would be one of those in the microencapsulated "CR/XR" form. Otherwise, just a higher dose of "plain jane" DXM.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 09:06PM by Jimmypoo.
Date: March 26, 2006 09:13PM
Mike Johnson, my friend swears by Delsym as well. I took it once at his house a while ago but didn't notice a difference I don't believe. Maybe I didn't take enough, don't know.

Ted King, I'm beginning to think it is my body wanting to cough, but I am getting phlegm when I'm coughing, only 25% of the time though. The other 75% is to "get my throat ready" for the phlegmy coughs. I'm trying to make myself "just not cough" and see what happens.

Is this the Robitussin y'all were talking about: Robitussin® Cough DM?

It has only the Dextromethorphan {Cough suppressant} & the Guaifenesin {Expectorant} as the active ingredients.
Date: March 26, 2006 09:15PM
that's a perfect combo.

You can get Equate/WallyWorld brand just the same, for a lot less.

docs have a plain wrapper horse tablet with the mega dose of both ingredients. The amount of Guaifenesin in OTC vs. Rx is but a fraction and of questionable value.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 09:16PM by Jimmypoo.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: March 26, 2006 09:16PM
my acupuncturist gave me this great herb once that cleared out my lungs fast...great stuff :-)...can't remember the name though sad smiley

btw, I don't think cough syrups work at all anyway...

[health.dailynewscentral.com]

[www.npr.org]

kiva

----------------------
Date: March 26, 2006 09:20PM
There is a huge DEA push to have DXM put under its auspices. This is just part of that. It is indeed true that OTC quantities for adults have little effect at the recommended dosages.

That doesn't mean they lack efficacy as compounds. It simply means that they lack efficacy at the OTC dosing schedule.

You'll note the reference to DXM abuse. Between that and understanding how the pipeline works, I can promise you an alternative solution is in phase IV.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 26, 2006 09:25PM
A recent consumer reports said of all the OTC, the only ones that actually worked (no idea about their methodology) had DXM in them. This mirrors my personal experience BTW.
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 26, 2006 09:30PM
I'm a Comtrex kinda guy. Ahhhhh those sweet sweet yellow pills.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: March 26, 2006 09:30PM
You can also try Mucinex DM. It's over the counter, lasts 12 hours and has a much higher dose of the same ingredients in Robitussin DM.

Also, there is something really nasty going around this season...seems to start as an upper respiratory infection (URI...usually viral), but then blossoms into a bacterial sinusitis. My wife and I both had it and I know several others who had the same thing. The cough lingers on for several weeks, unless you start antibiotics.

My cough was so bad that I broke a rib. Now I'm dealing with that!

Anyway, if you can, go to an ENT. While most URIs are viral, he may be able to look into your sinuses (through your nose) and tell you whether it looks like a bacterial sinusitis. I ended up taking a 10 day course of Bactrim DS and it cleared it out well. My wife's infection was worse, so her allergist and ENT hit her with the big guns...OmniCef ($200 for a three week course!).

Posted by: wowzer
Date: March 26, 2006 09:34PM
SteveJobs Wrote:
> I take Vicodin when I need to STOP COUGHING.
> Mainly for the Codeine.
>

Vicodin doens't have codeine in it. It has hydrocodone, IIRC. Both codeine and hydrocodone can give you constipation...among other side effects. YMMV.

GL

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: March 26, 2006 09:34PM
I usually prescribe tessalon perles.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: March 26, 2006 09:40PM
pinkoos Wrote:
> My cough was so bad that I broke a rib.

Wow. That's hard core. What did that feel like or did you not notice until you visited a doctor?

> You can also try Mucinex DM. It's over the
> counter, lasts 12 hours and has a much higher dose
> of the same ingredients in Robitussin DM.

I just looked it up. Is it the "Mucinex DM Expectorant Cough Suppressant 20 ct."?

>
> Also, there is something really nasty going around
> this season...seems to start as an upper
> respiratory infection (URI...usually viral), but
> then blossoms into a bacterial sinusitis. My wife
> and I both had it and I know several others who
> had the same thing. The cough lingers on for
> several weeks, unless you start antibiotics.
>

Yeah, one of the regular workers in the office had exactly the same thing I did. That was one good consoling factor, that someone else was coughing as much as I was. It seems like everyone in NYC was sick this past week as well. When did you finally see a doctor about it? I also have sinus problems whenever I get sick. They immediately fill with liquid and this time was no different. When the cold broke, I was blowing thick bloody yellow mucous out my nose two mornings in a row.

There went the sexy I was trying so hard to preserve...

>
> Anyway, if you can, go to an ENT. While most URIs
> are viral, he may be able to look into your
> sinuses (through your nose) and tell you whether
> it looks like a bacterial sinusitis.

What's an "ENT"?
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: March 26, 2006 09:40PM
My thoughts:

1. A persistent nagging cough that follows a previous illness can be an indication of pneumonia.

2. As Jimmypoo said codeine is available behind the counter in some states. Explain your situation to a pharmacists and see what they can do for you. Otherwise it is DXM or a Rx for you.

3. Vicodin contains hydrocodone not codeine. But all opiates will work for cough supression. Generally only codeine or hydrocodone are used. Some people have these drugs in their medicine cabinets and don't even realize it. Maybe left over from a back injury or a toothache or something so you might start there.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: March 26, 2006 09:49PM
I self-diagnosed the rib fracture (I'm a physician). It's very severe point tenderness on one of my ribs. It hurts to take a deep breath, to sigh and, of course, to cough. Last week, I sneezed and thought I was going to start crying like a blubbering baby it hurt so much.

Although x-rays can diagnose a rib fracture, they are not that sensitive, meaning that you can have a broken rib, but the xray will appear normal. So, I figured there's no sense getting an xray. Additionally, there's no real treatment for a minor rib fracture...in fact, one is supposed to take deep breaths and cough, so as to prevent pneumonia.

You are correct about the Mucinex.

Sounds to me like you may have sinusitis and could potentially benefit from an antibiotic.

An ENT is an ear, nose and throat surgeon (otolaryngologist).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 09:50PM by pinkoos.
Posted by: bangman
Date: March 26, 2006 10:46PM
Jack Daniel's, honey, and lemon.

Been taking it for years.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 26, 2006 11:03PM
"Preserve the sexy" ?

Is that kind of like "disturb the sexy" ? winking smiley

... at any rate, I think the poo has been giving you very, very good advice. Others too.

BTW, I have cough suppressant lozenges with dextromethorphan in them -- they are a variety of Sucrets -- max strength, give you 8 hrs per dose.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:03AM
That "preserve my sexy" is take on P. Diddy's ridiculous comments about Proactiv acne solution when he was a spokesperson last year:

"It helps moisturize my situation and preserve my sexy."

A lot of people were confused about just exactly what sexy he was talking about. Or that situation...Google: [fficial" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" >www.google.com]
Date: March 27, 2006 12:47AM
Do you like how I utterly misspelled Robitussin by accident? Geez. Robotussin would be like a robot coming to your house to punch you in the larynx to rid you of your cough.

I’m off to take NyQuil...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 27, 2006 01:50AM
I'd pay $5 to see that......
Date: March 27, 2006 07:11AM
that's why I hyphenated - to get that cheap laugh!

It's actually the originating pharma co. name mixed in.
Posted by: msglee
Date: March 27, 2006 07:19AM
New.Dad Wrote:
> Codeine. Not sure if it is over the counter though
> here in USA. Back home it was (and still is I
> believe) over the counter. I took it ever since I
> was a kid. No problem.
>

We called it "GI Gin" If you so much as coughed in the service they gave you a bottle of codeine. Some of the guys would collect them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login