Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $108.00 ( +1.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Heating a Honey Baked ham?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: April 12, 2009 01:31PM
The stores say not to heat them, but I just can't handle serving a ham with the rest of my Easter dinner that's room temperature, at best. I don't really care if the glaze is crispy or not, but I would like the meat to be on the warm side. What do others do? Temperature? Length of time?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Heating a Honey Baked ham?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 12, 2009 01:35PM
300 for an hour or 2, maybe tented with foil? (depends on how big) Uncovered if you want a crust. Just a guess on my part.

maybe half that time. I forgot yours is probably a small one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2009 01:48PM by Racer X.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 12, 2009 01:44PM
The Honey Baked hams are very good at room temperature, which is how we always serve them.

But, I found this, if you want it warm. It purports to be from the Honey Baked Ham site, but the link did not work, so it may be an old link. Use at your own risk:

Heating
If only a few slices are needed, heat them in a skillet for 3 minutes. Prior to
heating a whole or half ham let it get to room temperature first. Remove it from
the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for approximately 45 minutes,
remove the polyethylene bag and loosen foil. Place the whole or half ham in a
preheated 260° oven for 10 min. per pound. Just heat through (do not bake) as
your ham is fully cooked. For microwave heating consult your microwave
instruction manual.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: April 12, 2009 01:49PM
Someone actually bought a HoneyBaked Ham??
Wow, someone has got some $$$!!
Alton Brown has a method that tastes ten times better at a tenth of the price!

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: April 12, 2009 01:55PM
BigGuynRusty
Someone actually bought a HoneyBaked Ham??
Wow, someone has got some $$$!!
Alton Brown has a method that tastes ten times better at a tenth of the price!

BGnR

Alton Brown cooks. I try to avoid doing that as much as possible. smiling smiley

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't got my grubby hands on this ham yet - it's coming with the guests. I do remember that I left one wrapped in foil at Christmas and heated it a bit, but it wasn't long enough. I think I'll do it at about 260 for maybe five to seven minutes a pound. It doesn't have to be piping hot.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 12, 2009 02:07PM
I think Honey Baked Hams are overrated. I think the Appleton's at Aldi Foods are much better.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: April 12, 2009 02:32PM
Grateful11
I think Honey Baked Hams are overrated. I think the Appleton's at Aldi Foods are much better.
Yeppers, just a standard Hormel "City Ham", a Weed Burner Torch, 55 Gallon Drum, Aluminum Foil. and a can of Honey Baked Spices.
Instructions.:
Unwrap Ham place on foil on top of drum.
Light torch, play torch over ham while sprinkling spice mix.
Keep torch over ham till spice mix glazes.
Wrap Ham in HBH foil.
Sell.
My younger sister worked for HBH over the holiday rush a few years ago.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: April 13, 2009 12:30PM
What I think of Honey Baked Ham and Alton Brown is irrelevant to the question at hand.

Remember, what you want to do is just heat the ham through. You basically want the internal temperature to reach 145F. Simplest method is the one above where you bake at 260F for ten minutes per pound. That's a good metric.

Another method is to wrap it in wet paper towels or parchment paper and stick it in the microwave. Microwave in 45 second increments, checking the internal temperature until you reach 145F. Bear in mind that a microwave stimulates water molecules. You just need to heat the water in the ham to heat the whole thing. Simple!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login