advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So Apples are not that much more than Dells now?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 25, 2009 06:52PM
It seemed that not so long ago that an Apple monitor was far far above the cost of a Dell Ultrasharp, but now its seems they are within a 100 bucks or of each other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2009 06:52PM by bazookaman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So Apples are not that much more than Dells now?
Posted by: Doc
Date: April 25, 2009 07:06PM
I paid $480 for the last Dell 24" UltraSharp S-VA panel monitor I bought.

Apple's 24" is $899. It's an IPS panel, but it lacks all of the connectivity options the Dell has.

That's a bit more than a hundred bucks difference.

Plus, the Dell is loaded with extras.
Date: April 25, 2009 07:08PM
the Dell website has the 24 incher listed at $649. Although if you factor in all the times that you can grab one on sale thats a whole other story.

Posted by: Seacrest
Date: April 25, 2009 07:33PM
I think I paid $899 for my US2405.
Four, maybe five years ago?
I remember waiting for the price to drop below $1K.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: April 25, 2009 08:12PM
Apple makes monitors?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 25, 2009 09:44PM
Dakota
Apple makes monitors?

Neither does Dell.
Posted by: Doc
Date: April 25, 2009 09:58PM
bazookaman
the Dell website has the 24 incher listed at $649. Although if you factor in all the times that you can grab one on sale thats a whole other story.

Yes, I got my Dell on sale. Such discounts are another way to distinguish between Apple and Dell monitors.

Following up on the OP... 'Know of a new Apple 24" monitor that's been discounted to within $100 bucks of $480?
Date: April 25, 2009 10:07PM
Doc
Following up on the OP... 'Know of a new Apple 24" monitor that's been discounted to within $100 bucks of $480?

Not at all. I just thought that there was a larger discrepancy between the two. Sales prices not withstanding.

Posted by: artie67
Date: April 25, 2009 10:23PM
Apple's cheapest monitor is the 24"imac and you get a few extras for $1199. Not a bad deal.
Posted by: gabester
Date: April 25, 2009 11:04PM
bazookaman
Not at all. I just thought that there was a larger discrepancy between the two. Sales prices not withstanding.

Except you have to consider that, with Dell, there is almost always a sale price. Not necessarily for institutional purchasers needing quantities, but as an end user making a single purchase, the Dell's going to get my purchase every time based on price assuming there's otherwise a feature parity. Sadly, even if the price were the same, the Dell usually has feature advantages, firewire hub connectivity notwithstanding. More USB ports, card readers, swivel mount displays, more video inputs, picture in picture... I don't know why anyone would buy an Apple display except as a status symbol. "Look, I have several hundred dollars extra to blow on appearance."
g=
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 26, 2009 02:32AM
2408WFP was $499 a few days ago...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: April 26, 2009 07:34AM
Steve doesn't do sales.

The Apple stores used to have monthly fire sales and would sell demo/open box computers heavily discounted. Steve put an end to that. It doesn't fit the stores image.

Whatever.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 26, 2009 07:49AM
Bazooka,

To me, a difference of $250 doesn't equate "not much more than" its competitors price for a similar display. The price of the Apple 24" display is, at the least, $250 more than than it's primary competitor the Dell 24" 2408WFP.

The difference in price gets you Apple design, an IPS panel, LED backlight, a mini displayport connector, a built in Isight webcam, built-in speakers, a USB hub and a magsafe AC adapter. Everything else is fluff. And, it's useless out of the box because the vast majority of the machines on the market lack a mini-displayport. You'll have to spend a few more bucks to get the adapter necessary to use the display with machines with VGA, DVI, etc.

The Dell loses the Apple design, has a VA panel, the ISight webcam and speakers but gives you a media card reader/writer, a plethora of inputs including but not limited to VGA, DVI, Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, the ability to raise/lower/turn/pivot the display, and a base three year warranty. That's just what I remember off the top of my head.

And, you can _always_ get the Dell on sale and/or discounted. Always. And, if you're a member of AAA, you can get an additional 6% on top of the other discounts. As others said, the display was $499.99 recently. I got it for just a little more.

I considered the Apple 24" display then immediately came to my senses and bought the Dell 24" 2408WFP.

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 08:03AM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020