advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dell Mini 9 Leopardized: The RunCore Direct Install Edition
Posted by: TiUser
Date: April 30, 2009 09:33AM
My 16GB RunCore arrived yesterday and I successfully installed OS X on the RunCore via USB using a late 2008 MacBook by following the instructions here: [mydellmini.com]

This is probably the easiest way to install OS X if you are willing to purchase a RunCore. The only glitch I encountered was that my retail 10.5.0 install disc wouldn't work. It keep restarting and wouldn't get to the installation screen. The restore disc from the Macbook worked without any problem. I have also installed iWork 09 remotely using my MacBook Air and the SuperDrive. Very quick and easy.

First impression: very snappy. I don't know if it's the SSD or OS X, but the Mini feels significantly faster than the stock 8GB and Ubuntu 8.04. I had problems with slow wireless connection and loss of sound after wake from sleep under Ubuntu. No longer the case under OS X. I am very pleased to say the least.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dell Mini 9 Leopardized: The RunCore Direct Install Edition
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: April 30, 2009 09:45AM
I did the same thing yesterday (must be something in the air). It was a very easy installation; my only issue was that the stock SSD was screwed in so tightly that I had to use a file and turn one of the nuts into a flathead to get out after stripping the phillips. No problems with the retail install disc. After about an hour I got two quick "you must restart" error screens. After the second time, I tried fixing the permissions. There were lots of fixes. I'm not sure if that was the problem, but no forced reboots since then.

I agree with your impressions. Direct RunCore installation is much easier, and the system does feel snappier.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: April 30, 2009 10:24AM
Glad things worked out for you.

I've only used the external DVD install. I am going to have to try the direct install method.

Welcome to the club!

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Wailer
Date: April 30, 2009 01:04PM
Thanks for the info TiUser. We have very similar setups!

I'm currently using Ubuntu 8.04.

I have the exact same problems of slow reconnect to wireless and occasional loss of sound after waking up.

I also feel that either 4gb SSD is too full that it's causing some delays with memory swaps or the 4gb SSD is just slow because noticing some unresponsiveness when I want to scroll or switch apps. I've got 2gb of ram in mine.

So the mini-USB cable that you needed was included with your 16gb runcore SSD? I bought Leopard retail and it's the same version as yours but luckily I also have a post Leopard macbook.

I'm just not sure I even want to invest in the runcore and put Leopard on mine because Ubuntu is handling everything I need it for. But if you are getting better overall performance with Leopard/runcore than Ubuntu/stock SSD, I may just do it.
Posted by: crispy
Date: April 30, 2009 01:15PM
Switch from 8.04 to 9.04 UNR. Wow, what a difference!
Date: April 30, 2009 01:25PM
It's that good, eh?

Will 9.04 UNR fit on a 4gb SSD? I'm not even sure how I could do that since I don't have any flash media or usb2 drives at the moment. I'm guessing there is no network install available.
Posted by: TiUser
Date: April 30, 2009 01:39PM
Wailer
So the mini-USB cable that you needed was included with your 16gb runcore SSD? I bought Leopard retail and it's the same version as yours but luckily I also have a post Leopard macbook.

Yes. Not only was the USB cable included but also the philip screwdriver! If I didn't know better, I would have thought they made the RunCore specifically to upgrade the Mini 9. I really like Ubuntu, but the OS X setup was just so sweet and familiar. I will probably make a Live USB of 9.04 and give the new remix a spin soon. But I am really liking OS X on the 9. The programs I use regularly are: Safari, Mail, Pages, VLC, and RealPlayer. YMMV.
Date: April 30, 2009 01:56PM
VLC on Ubuntu is buggy. I (and others) can't get true full screen. But VLC plays h.264 stored on an SD card better than totem does.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed playing with Ubuntu. It's almost ready for the masses. Is it possible to partition the runcore to be able to dual boot into Leopard or Ubuntu 9.04?
Posted by: crispy
Date: April 30, 2009 07:14PM
It fits fine on a 4gb ssd (typing on one as we speak). A 1gb usb2 flash is all thats required.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 30, 2009 10:02PM
Nice to see you got it going, TiUser! Good that they have another thread about this over there.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: mldennismr
Date: October 03, 2010 10:25AM
can you give me a few steps on how to get started installing leopard on a dell mini 9 with the stock 8gb ssd? i have an external DVD and a 8gb USB stick.

TIA

--Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 10:31AM by mldennismr.
Posted by: mldennismr
Date: October 03, 2010 10:25AM
crispy
It fits fine on a 4gb ssd (typing on one as we speak). A 1gb usb2 flash is all thats required.

can you give me a few steps on how to get started installing leopard on a dell mini 9 with the stock 8gb ssd? i have an external DVD and a 8gb USB stick.

TIA

--Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 10:30AM by mldennismr.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020