advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Replace chair mat - plastic or bamboo?
Posted by: olnacl
Date: May 01, 2009 04:58PM
Actually, I need to replace one chair mat, a plastic one on low pile carpet and purchase another to protect the new tile floor in the den. I'm leaning toward putting down a wood floor in the future to replace the carpet so the questions are:
1. Just replace the existing, worn out plastic chair mat with the same, including nubs on the bottom side for the carpeted room at $64? - OR - Buy a nub-less plastic mat for the carpeted room in anticipation of the wood floor? (the current plastic mat lasted 10 years)
2. Buy a smaller, nub-less plastic mat for the tile floor at $30

OR

Spend 2x - 3x the money and buy bamboo chair mats for both locations. The bamboo offers "premium non-slip felt backing for cushioning and protection" which I hope would give more protection to the floor. [www.staples.com]

The tile salesman says the tile will wind up scuffed even with a plastic chair mat due to grit working beneath the mat. I'm assuming that will be less likely to occur with the bamboo.

Suggestions based upon personal experience solicited.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Replace chair mat - plastic or bamboo?
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 01, 2009 05:16PM
My office, I work from home, has a tile floor and I do not use a chair mat under my office chair. My chair has plastic casters and the tile doesn't look any worse for the wear. I have been using this area for my office for about 3 years now.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 01, 2009 05:26PM
forget the mats, and w/ the $ u save, get some urethane wheeled casters for your chair...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 01, 2009 07:43PM
That Bamboo chair mat only has a 30 day warranty, seems very short for a chair mat, and a possible hint of it's expected life.
Posted by: artie67
Date: May 01, 2009 07:51PM
Buzz has it right. Get some non-maring casters for "hardwood floors" and pop out the old ones. They will last longer then the chair and you can use them again. You will also enjoy the "smooth sailing" of the wood floor.
Date: May 01, 2009 08:08PM
OK, thanks for the tips. I had considered the urethane casters when I saw a discussion on them in a post some months back, but was a bit taken aback by the price - nearly what I paid for the chair (well, half as much anyway). I'll still need a mat for the room with carpet though so I suppose I'll go for a less expensive plastic mat to tide me over until I tear out the carpet.

Thanks a lot for the input.

Posted by: wurm
Date: May 01, 2009 08:27PM
I guess I might as well link this thread again.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 01, 2009 11:46PM
just get a way more expensive chair, so you won't feel bad about spending $35-$50 on casters... :-)

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: May 02, 2009 10:57AM
wurm
I guess I might as well link this thread again.

Thanks for the link - I remembered reading it a while back but my recollection was more about the casters than the mats. So after reading that thread, I still don't know what I should do.

Posted by: Doc
Date: May 02, 2009 11:09AM
Unless there's a compelling reason to do it now, I'd wait until the tile and hardwood floors went in and then lay down a small rug on each instead of a mat.

Better traction, it doesn't scuff the floor and it looks nicer.
Date: May 02, 2009 06:17PM
Doc
Unless there's a compelling reason to do it now, I'd wait until the tile and hardwood floors went in and then lay down a small rug on each instead of a mat.

Better traction, it doesn't scuff the floor and it looks nicer.

Well, tile is already in and the existing mat over carpet has bit the dust. I'll probably go with the cheapo mat for the carpet for now and consider seriously the urethane casters for the chair in the den. I do have a medium size rubber back rug. I'll try that on the tile and see how it works.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Posted by: Gregend
Date: August 11, 2010 01:49AM
I would agree with rgG suggestion. The chair caster is the thing that cam cause damage to the tile floor and it make sense to replace the chair caster. I got a polyurethane caster wheel for my office chair and it work very well on my brazillian cherry wood floor. Purchased it from amazon, the caster made by rolland, model: RL50PG. The polyurethane is softer compare to the hard plastic caster. You can also feel that it roll smoothly on flat surface floor.
Posted by: Gregend
Date: August 11, 2010 01:52AM
Here is the link for the same item on another store: [www.cernell.com]
Thanks for sharing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018