advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Celebrate Apple's 30 years- Southern Cal MR Gathering! See inside for your invitation!
Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 28, 2006 11:46AM
If this is your first visit to the topic I've put some of the latest information here at the top.

As you can see we are planning a get together for ALL the Southern California Members. To catch up, please read through the posts.

I received word that OWC would like to help promote local member groups getting together (see their sticky)

Based on the many posts I received, I have decided that a Saturday lunch would allow the most members to attend. Shall we say the first Saturday in May (May 6th) to give everyone enough time to schedule it in?

Carm, N-OS X-tasy!, and the rest of you who had conflicts, this new date and time should be better for you. Please do your best to make it.

Unless I get a solid alternative I'm saying Kings Fish House in Long Beach will be the place. [www.kingsfishhouse.com]

I set up a mailbox to receive email confirmations if you want to attend and/or send me a PM: mr.socalugAcox.net

Buzz, your input pretty much confirmed that Kings would be a great choice for our event. Thank you!

Go to Top, if you are still here on May 6th it would be great to have you join us.

There are a number of members who might make the event if they had a place to stay, so let me know if you can accommodate one of our out-of-towners.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: I need to get confirmations so that we can finalize our plans, so PLEASE email or PM me!

BTW I changed the name from MR UGLA to MR SoCalUG which doesn't have the same ring because it includes all our SoCal members, which I feel the name should do. I can change it if someone comes up with something everyone likes better.

Thanks for pitching in to make our next get together a success.

Email me! mr.socalug@cox.net

GeneL

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2006 12:24PM by Stuffed Shirt.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are you up for another MR UGLA Dinner?
Posted by: grad
Date: March 28, 2006 12:13PM
On the 30th Anniv?
Posted by: bangman
Date: March 28, 2006 02:42PM
What are the options available for restaurants?

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: March 28, 2006 03:54PM
La Strada - Italian

Mykonos - Greek

Mimi's Cafe - Chain, but good food.

Those are the only places in Long Beach I have eaten in the last 2-3 years. I don't get that far south too often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 03:56PM by Effin Haole.
Date: March 28, 2006 07:30PM
I figured I'd wait a bit to see how many of us want to attend and then start narrowing down the selection of restaurants.

While it's not my top choice, Mimi's might be a good idea because it is moderately priced and the food is acceptable.

Again, it depends on who wants to come and whether the majority want cheap or more upscale. From what I know of LB there are a number of really good restaurants that are fairly moderate.

I don't want the cost of the meal to stop anyone from attending.

I'd like to make up a Commemorative name tag for everyone who attends to keep as a memento. Something really special.

So folks, let me hear from you! PM me with your contact info so I can get the ball rolling.

GeneL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 07:31PM by GeneL.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 28, 2006 07:40PM
GeneL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to make up a Commemorative name tag for
> everyone who attends to keep as a memento.
> Something really special.

Speaking for myself, Gene, I see this as just a get-together over dinner with a group of friends -- no reason to go to extreme measures. Taking care of coordinating the event is already going above and beyond -- I wouldn't worry about doing more.

It is what it is.
Date: March 28, 2006 08:07PM
OK smiling smiley
Posted by: spearmint
Date: March 28, 2006 08:20PM
Get out of Long Beach and a couple miles north you are in Venice and need not fear for your lives. That or Seal Beach. Five miles. Long Beach/San Pedro has some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in LA.

Da Good Life
Date: March 28, 2006 08:22PM
SOUTH I get easily confused.

Da Good Life
Date: March 28, 2006 10:22PM
The parts of Long Beach I have in mind are safe enough i.e.

[www.kingsfishhouse.com]

Sandwiches, Salads and lots of other reasonable options.

I know they have great food and they make a killer bread pudding spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Lots more restaurants on this street.

Besides it's easy to get there and more fair, distance-wise, for folks both North and South.

As I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Come on, let's hear from more SoCal members. This will be a great time!

I'm not putting a deadline on this until I hear from more of you.
Date: March 28, 2006 11:07PM
minty, no disrespect meant, but don't you think a lifelong resident of Los Angeles (i.e. me) would know where the safe and not-so-safe areas are?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 28, 2006 11:14PM
Im game, let me know when and where, I have no preferences on location.

Dates im busy. April 22nd Cousins wedding, 28 my bday, 29 & 30 Coachella Valley Music Festival. Already planned. grinning smiley

Last time my sister got married, and my cousin had a family baby shower(everyone was invited)

Carm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2006 11:48PM by Carm.
Date: March 28, 2006 11:58PM
I don't think we should try to plan this event based on when everyone is available. I say Gene throws out a potential date or two; whoever can make it, can, and whoever can't make it, can't.

For example: I have every weekend in April already booked EXCEPT for the 29th/30th. Right there, between just the two of us, April is shot. If we try to accomodate everyone's schedule, it'll never happen.

It is what it is.
Date: March 29, 2006 12:12AM
How about Friday night, April 14th or 21st?

Date: March 29, 2006 12:40AM
Very true N-OS-X-tasy!

The 21st sounds good to me. smiling smiley

Carm
Date: March 29, 2006 01:14AM
Carm Wrote:
> Very true N-OS-X-tasy!
>
> The 21st sounds good to me.

That day is my birthday. I'll be in Mexico for the weekend. Drink a round to my good health and have a great time.

It is what it is.
Date: March 29, 2006 01:17AM
Actually any Friday evening would be good.

Carm
Date: March 29, 2006 01:31AM
Dude, I meant what I said: You can't plan around everyone's schedule. If the 21st is the best time for the majority, go, have a good time, and hoist a round in my name. Believe me, I'll be doing more than my share of partying in Mexico that weekend.

It is what it is.
Date: March 29, 2006 01:45AM
N-OS X-tasy!, you said you were tied up on the 22nd which was why I asked about the 14th or 21st.

Is there no way you could make it on Friday? You seemed to be capable of partying two nights in a row.

How about the 14th? Carm said any Friday was good.

Somehow we have to pick the right date for the most members.

What about Marcus? Is he around. I'd sure like to get him there as well, since he floated MR UGLA in the first place.

It wouldn't be the same without you and Effin. After all we're the core members.
Date: March 29, 2006 02:02AM
Carm said he was busy on the 22nd; I said I was busy that entire weekend. I leave for Mexico the morning of the 21st (to participate in this: [rosaritoensenada.com]), so, no, I wouldn't be able to make dinner that evening.

Friday the 14th might work. I need to check with some folks and get back to you all.

FYI, I have friends coming into town the weekend of the 8th/9th (friend of mine is a pit crew member for one of the cars in the Long Beach Grand Prix that weekend), so that weekend is also a no-go.

I haven't heard from Mark since we attended the X concert together last month. I'll shoot an e-mail his way, but it's quite likely he'll choose not to participate.

It is what it is.
No.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 29, 2006 02:41AM

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 29, 2006 03:36AM
Long Beach is NOT midway between OC and Ventura County. I fully intended to be at the last blast but thought my coughing spittle all over the appetizers might kill a few appetites.

The thought of a Northern LA/Ventura County commute on a Friday is daunting. Make it accessible to an Amtrak/Metrolink, that'd work.

Actually just set a time and place, let folks live with it.
Date: March 29, 2006 10:26AM
RgF, I know the Ventura/LA drive problem very well since my son and his family live in thousand Oaks and the drive from Dana Point is horrendous most of the time.

I'm thinking, perhaps you could catch the train at Moorpark and one of the LA members could pick you up at Union Station.

Worth a thought?

Again, nothing is set in stone. I'd rather push the date back and maybe make it on a Saturday for lunch, since Saturday morning is the one time I've found the traffic to be light.

So far we are light in the responses, so I want to take the time to get more aboard.

If you know a member in SoCal who hasn't checked in, give them a nudge, will you?

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: March 29, 2006 10:50AM
Mint knows Long Beach and customers a little bit North warn me to get out before 5 o'clock. Nasty you do not know the fun part of that town. Trust me.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 29, 2006 11:26AM
Make it Parker's Lighthouse at Shoreline Village, and if Mrs. Buzz isn't working, she can chauffer Baby Buzz and me along. Just be sure no big events are going on that weekend...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: microchip13
Date: March 29, 2006 11:28AM
Sure! Who's buying my plane ticket?

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Re: No.
Date: March 29, 2006 11:31AM
I've never had a problem in the area where it's like a "restaurant row."

I see problems reported in almost every area of LA so if you live in SoCal. I'm sure you deal with it.

These restaurants couldn't survive if it was a war zone.

We want you to join us, minty.

Put on you kevlar and sign up. We'll find you a place to stay.

BTW I am thinking, how about a Saturday lunch in May, since that will give more time for folks to work it into the schedule.

Also, traffic is a lot lighter on Saturday morning.

Let me hear everyones thoughts on this.

I want this to be a real get together with as many members as possible, so please, pitch in to make it happen.

It's a work in progress so I welcome ideas.

Party time! smileys with beer

GeneL
Date: March 29, 2006 11:52AM
Can we start a fund for Microchip's ticket?

Buzz, while I personally prefer King's Fish House for food quality, variety and price range, Parkers could be a good choice as well.

In SoCal terms they are almost around the corner from each other, so location shouldn't be an issue here, or am I wrong on this?

Think of this stage as "committee planning" so we can choose a date and place that will work for the most members.

The whole idea here is not just to eat, but to have face time with a bunch of members we usually don't come in contact with.

After so many years on DM and now on MR, I'm really anxious to meet you all.

Even though only N-OS X-tasy!, Effin Haole and I plus my SO showed up for the first Dinner it was still a party, so come on folks get involved here!

As I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: March 29, 2006 01:15PM
I'm temporarily in Simi Valley doing design jobs Americans won't do. Return to Mariposa in May. We are a nation of immigrants.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Date: March 29, 2006 01:51PM
Got To Top, if you are still here on the date we choose, will you come?

The whole point for me is to enjoy the wonderful mix that have become online friends through as long as years for some of us.

Please decide to make it. You'll be glad you did.

GeneL
Date: March 29, 2006 02:13PM
Here's an email address that I set up to coordinate the event:

mr.socalug@cox.net (use all lower case)

If you have questions or want to comment outside the forum you can reach me there.

BTW, Grad, I just got the significance of your "30th Anniversary" question.

I'm not usually so uninformed sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 07:09PM by GeneL.
Re: Are you up for a MR UGLA get together to celebrate Apple's 30 years?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 29, 2006 06:23PM
GeneL- King's is pretty much around the corner; around the corner from just about all my in-laws..., Carlsbad near Mrs. Buzz's sister, OC near her mom's and brother's [down road from Disneyland], outside of Vegas near her other brother, and in the commercial area nearest her step-sister in Laguna Hills..., then they're not too far from our inland empire friends (actually close to their work) in Rancho Cucamonga, and in the fancy shopping area near several friends in Calabasas. We also used to go the one in Mission Valley in San Diego when we used to stay in hotel circle there for Sea World trips before Mrs. B's sis' family moved to Carlsbad. The owner's have a bunch of other restaurants, including a couple of fave's here in Santa Monica; Ocean Avenue Seafood, and i Cugini. One of our inland empire friends (a doctor) used to work with one of the owners' cousins, a nurse, in one of the procedure labs. Basically, we're pretty familiar w/ the concept, and obviously like the places..., just thought Parker's has a better view, and occasionally tougher parking to make up for it B)

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: March 29, 2006 07:34PM
OK, first things first.

I received word that OWC would like to help promote local member groups getting together (see their sticky)

Based on the many posts I received, I have decided that a Saturday lunch would allow the most members to attend. Shall we say the first Saturday in May (May 6th) to give everyone enough time to schedule it in?

Carm, N-OS X-tasy!, and the rest of you who had conflicts, this new date and time should be better for you. Please do your best to make it.

Unless I get a solid alternative I'm saying Kings Fish House in Long Beach will be the place. [www.kingsfishhouse.com]

I set up a mailbox to receive email confirmations if you want to attend and/or send me a PM: mr.socalugAcox.net

Buzz, your input pretty much confirmed that Kings would be a great choice for our event. Thank you!

Go to Top, if you are still here on May 6th it would be great to have you join us.

There are a number of members who might make the event if they had a place to stay, so let me know if you can accommodate one of our out-of-towners.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: I need to get confirmations so that we can finalize our plans, so PLEASE email or PM me!

BTW I changed the name from MR UGLA to MR SoCalUG which doesn't have the same ring because it includes all our SoCal members, which I feel the name should do. I can change it if someone comes up with something everyone likes better.

Thanks for pitching in to make our next get together a success.

GeneL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 07:50PM by GeneL.
Re: Celebrate Apple's 30 years- Southern Cal MR Gathering! See inside for your invitation!
Posted by: Carthaigh
Date: March 29, 2006 08:43PM
I am in. I am just up the street in Torrance.

This message has been brought to you by the Threadkiller™
Date: March 29, 2006 09:00PM
I'm in, and maybe my wife as well.
Re: Celebrate Apple's 30 years- Southern Cal MR Gathering! See inside for your invitation!
Date: March 29, 2006 09:06PM
Im in, I PMed you GeneL.

Carm
Date: March 29, 2006 09:10PM
Carthaigh, great that you're coming.

Effin, that's great. It will be even more fun with more than four of us smiling smiley

Everyone, please send a confirmation email to me at mr.socalug@cox.net so that I can keep track and send you updates.

GeneL
Date: March 29, 2006 09:19PM
Hooray! Carm is putting his surfboard aside for us smiling smiley

Good boy!

Don't forget when you confirm to send me an email as well at mr.socalug@cox.net

Thanks,

GeneL
Date: March 29, 2006 10:48PM
Buzz, are you in? It sounded like it to me.

Please confirm at mr.socalug@cox.net

It will be great to have you.

GeneL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 10:48PM by GeneL.
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: March 30, 2006 09:56AM
Too bad we all couldn't go see "Cats" together at the Pantages.

Too bad we all couldn't go to the LBGP together. My 32nd year. (not

consecutive)

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:11AM
Go To Top, it sounds as if you can't make it…too bad!! sad smiley

At least enjoy the pix we'll post after the big event!

Now there's a thought…

once we get more organized maybe we can get a bunch together (including way out of towners) for a big event like the LBGP.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: March 30, 2006 02:23PM
I haven't been t the LBGP since it was an F1 race.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 30, 2006 04:15PM
The only thing the LBGP is good for these days is people watching, the "race" is a total joke.

Having lived most of my life in Long Beach if your dead set on having this thing at any of the downtown restaurants I will not be coming!

There are many fine restaurants in Long Beach that are not located in the filthy, rundown, overcrowded downtown area.

Here is just one example, with a great view of the boats coming in and out of Alamitos Bay, good food at reasonable prices and a nice casual atmosphere.

[www.bustersbeachhouse.com]

Here is the lunch menu for Busters [www.bustersbeachhouse.com]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 04:17PM by Harbourmaster.
Date: March 30, 2006 05:44PM
Here' my reply to Harbourmaster which I'm also sending as a PM.

If the members who are coming to the MR SCUG Lunch prefer another location please let me know. I really want everyone to have a great time.

BTW please let Harbourmaster know that you want him to come.

Hi! Harbourmaster,

I hate to say this but, comparing menus, the Fish House wins by miles.

What I like about Kings is that they offer a wide range of seafood prepared simply and at reasonable prices.

I always find it hard to choose from the gimmicky kind of menu items that Busters offers and when I settle I never really enjoy what I've ordered. That's why I chose Kings. Their food is simple and well prepared.

For lunch they offer a Swordfish kebob plate for around eleven bucks that's sensational. Lot's of other great dishes in that range that will make your mouth water if you like seafood.

If you don't, they have chicken, burgers and other sandwiches plus all kinds of salads, all at between $10 to $15.

Parking is easy in a big parking structure right behind the restaurant and you go direct from it through a courtyard to the restaurant. They validate for two hours as well.

I've eaten a number of times at this Kings and I just don't understand your problem with it.

With all the fine restaurants in the area I don't see how you can say that the immediate area is "the filthy, rundown, overcrowded downtown area."

Since everyone else seems ok with Kings, I hate to change the location but if there's any other place you want to suggest run it by me.

I'm not stuck on Kings but looking at their menu, Busters is a bust to me.

If we can't choose another place how about making it anyway, just to have the opportunity to see everyone.

I really want you to come and I'm sure the others do as well.

GeneL

Harbourmaster Wrote:
> I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here but
> Downtown LB is not, in my opinion, the best part
> of town.
>
> Having lived most of my life in Long Beach if your
> dead set on having this thing at any of the
> downtown restaurants I will not be coming!
>
> There are many fine restaurants in Long Beach that
> are not located in the filthy, rundown,
> overcrowded downtown area.
>
> Here is just one example, with a great view of the
> boats coming in and out of Alamitos Bay, good food
> at reasonable prices and a nice casual atmosphere.
>
>
> [www.bustersbeachhouse.com]
> t.html
>
> Here is the lunch menu for Busters
>
> [www.bustersbeachhouse.com]
> t.html
> --
> Aloha, Ken
>

Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 30, 2006 08:09PM
My primary interest in this is not a meal (since I make better fish than you will find at most restaurants) but getting to meet the folks that I see in print here every night.

That being said someplace with a casual atmosphere and a nice view is more important (to me) than someplace that serves good food.

If I had the room I would simply invite you all over for Margaritas, but with three teenagers and the missus in a two bedroom apartment things are tight as it is!

There is a very comfy (family friendly) Bar & Grill on Main Street in Seal Beach by the name of O'Malleys if that would appeal to any one...

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: March 30, 2006 09:51PM
Ken, O'Malleys might be fine. What's their menu like? Prices? You're saying it has a view? Do they serve lunch?

For me it would be easy to go straight up PCH to Main Street in Seal Beach.

My question is how the others that have confirmed feel about it.

Carm, Effin Haole, Punkindrublik, Carthaigh and possibly Pat (if there's parking for his truck nearby) please weigh in here with your thoughts.

There's still at least six members that I know of who haven't committed to coming, so let's hear from you, too!

I'll PM anyone who doesn't chime in here in case you didn't see this post.

As I said before, the main thing is getting as many members together for the Lunch and, so far, Kings seemed to work.

Please let me know your preference.

GeneL
Date: March 30, 2006 10:37PM
No preference on location here. Im driving over 100 miles one way. grinning smiley

Carm

Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 31, 2006 09:00AM
If you stick to the Long Beach Marina area (Westminster-2nd/PCH), there are several decent restaurants, depending on your take:
Jimmy's Fish & Grill
California Pizza Kitchen
Claim Jumper
Mimi's
Acapulco
Hof's Hut
El Torito
Kamal Palace Cuisine of India
Lone Star Steakhouse
And there are tons of restaurants just a short distance away from there...

If you stay in Shoreline Village (near downtown):
Yard House
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co
Tequila Jack's
Outback Steakhouse
Parker's Lighthouse
Buster's Beach House

Lived in Long Beach all my life -- downtown has become much better than it was. Ocean front, south east parts are all OK at all times of the day or night... There's crime no matter where you go...
Date: March 31, 2006 10:21AM
King's or Mimi's or just about anyplace works for me.

I like the lunch idea as well. Would definitely like to be able to talk story over having the "best" meal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2006 10:23AM by Effin Haole.
Date: March 31, 2006 11:31AM
I just spoke to a friend who lives in Long Beach and she said McKenna's has good food so, if no one has objections and there's parking for Pat's truck then it looks good to me.

I'll post more info this evening once I contact McKenna's.

MikeF, are you still here in So Cal? If so, can you join us May 6th?

Effin and Carm, thanks for checking in and letting me know how you feel about the restaurant choice.

It looks as if Harbourmaster is going to have to join us after all smiling smiley

We're still missing some local members, so if you know other So Cal Forum folks let them know you want them to come to the MR SCUG Lunch.

I plan to bring my Canon 20D to document the fun and make us eligible for the OWC "incentive." That's unless someone else has a better camera and is a professional photographer? I'm not.

I had a thought that we might all bring something (computer/elecronic related and raffle them off. Nothing too expensive, but just for fun.

Let me know if you like the idea.

GeneL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018