advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone here been to Poland?
Posted by: Black
Date: May 02, 2009 09:44PM
Chatting with an elderly woman who was born in Poland today . . . she left in the early 50s for Isreal (escaped execution by lying about who her father was, having a friend in the Gestapo, etc.), and wants to go back there to live out her life. Got me thinking about visiting (maternal grandparents born there).

Anyone here been there? What's it like traveling around the country? Can you get by with english and/or german?
Thanks!

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone here been to Poland?
Posted by: laarree
Date: May 02, 2009 11:00PM
If you want (I'll probably go ahead and ask anyway), I'm friendly with a few Polish immigrants in my
Brooklyn neighborhood--one's an architect who was married to a German woman, and the others are
college student/waitresses--and can inquire about this for you. I'll be seeing the waitresses at
Sunday brunch. I know that they all go back for visits.

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 02, 2009 11:15PM
I spent one day in Poland a few years back, visiting Auschwitz and Birkenau. Aside from employees at the museum, I encountered almost no one who spoke English.

It is what it is.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: May 02, 2009 11:57PM
I was in Krakow and Zakopane last Spring, traveling north from Slovakia. English is common among younger folk - my German did come in handy.
Posted by: Billiken
Date: May 03, 2009 01:33AM
I have lived in Poland for the last 10 years.

You'll have no problem getting around with just English, especially in the larger cities and popular tourist sites. Since the low cost airlines started flying in here some 4-5 years ago, there are loads of tourists, especially from the UK, so language is NOT a problem. smiling smiley

Even Macs are not especially hard to find now!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 03, 2009 08:09AM
I was there about 25 years ago--very friendly people, fair amount of English and German, LOTS of drinking and drunk folk, even early in the day. Horse-drawn vehicles in city centers, except for the very largest cities.

I suspect that last part is out-dated....

I liked it a lot.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 04, 2009 08:04AM
I just had eye surgery and read the first post with disbelief. I was thinking, why in the heck is he talking about some old lady in Poland when this is a thread about Portland?

Anyway, yeah, I've been to Portland (OR). It's a great town. I'd like to live there someday. I recommend seeing the grotto and doing some hiking in the coastal rainforests which are only about 45 mins outside the city.

On the Poland thing, I've been to Praha (CR) and all over GDR and I imagine Poland is similar if not quite as wealthy as GDR (which could work in your favor as far as I'm concerned)...ditto what was said above about young people and English. I think you'll be fine and will also fine plenty of public transportation in the major cities. Unlike here! I say go for it!
Posted by: billb
Date: May 04, 2009 09:19AM
It was Portland Maine, and you can't get there from here.
Posted by: Black
Date: May 04, 2009 10:32PM
anonymouse1
I was there about 25 years ago--very friendly people, fair amount of English and German, LOTS of drinking and drunk folk, even early in the day. Horse-drawn vehicles in city centers, except for the very largest cities.

I suspect that last part is out-dated....

I liked it a lot.

I'd guess the horses have been replaced by bicycles, considering Krakow Critical Mass broke a thousand before Chicago did (about 6-7 years ago).

[www.youtube.com]

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 303
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018