advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone HELP!!!!!
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 02, 2009 09:48PM
My 18 year old nephew is a Marine who will shortly deploy to Afghanistan. He dropped his 8GB, 3G iPhone which was then run over sad smiley . My sister took him to the local ATT & Apple stores. They claimed they couldn't help. The touch screen is shattered. When I tried connecting my nephew's iPhone to my 17" MBP (2.5GHz, 10.5.6, 4GB RAM), the iPhone powers on but, does not show up in my iTunes. I swapped the SIM card into my 16GB iPhone. Still no luck in getting it onto my MBP. When my sister dial's her son's number, it does ring in my iPhone. My nephew is out with his father right now. My sister tells me music has been loaded onto the iPhone but, cannot tell me if that was done via the PC her son has or, whether he downloaded music directly onto his iPhone.

Can anyone here give me any tips / tricks I haven't though of. We'd really like to recover the information on this damaged iPhone. At least with a working SIM card, my nephew can pick up an inexpensive GSM phone tomorrow so that he'll have some phone when he ships out so he and my sister can talk while he's away. When he returns (we're guessing about six months) he'll have more time to pursue this. Thanks in advance!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone HELP!!!!!
Posted by: DRR
Date: May 02, 2009 10:10PM
Music and videos would be on whatever computer it syncs with, even if it isn't, you should be able to download it again through the itunes account. The sim card holds the telephone number and the wireless account information, but nothing else. Mail should be on your mail server, unless you were using POP, in which case it's probably just gone. What exactly are you trying to recover?

Thank your nephew for his service.
Date: May 02, 2009 10:17PM
My nephew has a lot of phone numbers in Contacts (several hundred). That is the primary info he like to recover.
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: May 02, 2009 11:12PM
which should be on the machine it syncs with as well, no?
Posted by: decay
Date: May 02, 2009 11:15PM
Apple Address Book should also contain his contacts, too... unless he typed in several hundred contacts by hand... smart phone? smart user?

---
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: May 03, 2009 09:24AM
One of the best iPhone features is having all your contacts synced instead of manually entering them all. Those days of pounding away buttons for hours on a new cell phone are gone.
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: May 03, 2009 09:25AM
decay
Apple Address Book should also contain his contacts, too... unless he typed in several hundred contacts by hand... smart phone? smart user?

Even if he did then it would only take one sync to back them up on the computer, unless he disabled that, DOH!
Date: May 03, 2009 06:57PM
I only found out about the problem when I phoned my sister on Saturday night to invite her out to Sunday dinner. As stated, my nephew has a PC not a Mac. This PC is only recently purchased so, I (and my sister) don't know if ANY of the data on his iPhone was installed via a computer or, simply entered manually or via direct download to his iPhone. My sister and her family have always been PC users (I'm the smart one in the family ;) ). When I tried to have my sister locate the tiny hole used to pop out the SIM card, she swore there was no hole. Her boys were out with their father (divorce in progress) and, my nephew had his PC with him. So, I wasn't able to get any information from my nephew. As nephew had no phone, I couldn,'t reach him to play 20 questions. I spoke with my sister this morning but, she still hadn't heard from her sons.

Because my sister was so concerned, late last night, I drove 40 miles to her house to provide whatever help I could. I had hoped that the damaged iPhone would connect with my MBP. I would then have put nephew's data on a USB flash drive. I didn't know that only basic information was on the SIM card. At least with my being able to retrieve the SIM card, nephew can buy an inexpensive GSM cellphone and, deploy with his regular cellphone number which should make life a little easier on my sister.

I was amazed to hear that both the Apple and ATT stores in the Smithaven Mall were not able to help out. My sister brought her son with her and, he was in uniform. At the very least, I think nephew should have been offered a refurb replacement that he would have paid for. Somebody in one of the stores could have retrieved his SIM card but, even something that basic wasn't offered and, neither sister or nephew knew to ask about it.

Even though my nephew matured a good ten years going through Marine Basic Training, he is still 18 years old and, as such, still has a lot to learn. The timing of this is classic "Murphy's Law". My post here was to see if there was any "magic" that I hadn't thought of.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 04, 2009 08:22AM
All due respect, I doubt the uniform carries the cache some of us think it does (or perhaps should), so don't be too disappointed there. People are gonna be ignorant/unhelpful/whatever and a uniform or anything else won't change that. So try not to be too surprised. Yeah, they should've asked if he wanted to buy a replacement, that just would've been good business.

You fought the good fight as it were with trying to help. It sounds like you got the lad fixed up with a new phone and doubtless he'll have his contacts back within a few days if you tell him to spread the word to his friends to all call him so he has their numbers in his new phone and can just enter them automagically; he'll only have to assign names to them if he does it this way. Not too big of a deal.

Prayers for the wisdom to protect himself and others on his tour.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018