advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hey Netbook owners.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 05, 2009 12:06AM
Fascinating read over at Wired Mag on netbooks and how their sales are surprising the world.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hey Netbook owners.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: May 05, 2009 01:22AM
I don't think this comes a surpise to anyone who owns a netbook. I love my macbook pro and ibook(s) and cube and mini(s) and my 386sx and ibm-pc and osborne and kaypro (and loved my G4 tower and IIci, but my asus netbook is really great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 01:23AM by pqrst.
Posted by: Drew
Date: May 05, 2009 02:01AM
Nope, not a surprise at all. Incidental, but most people I know use their computer just like in the article, internet, mail, a bit of word processing, maybe watch a movie, maybe a simple calendar. They usually buy what the sales person tells them is best and then tell me how much better it is than others because of the size of the hard drive. Netbooks have shown up during an opportune time of a down economy and when most people who use a computer don't have any added need compared to the last time they bought a computer. If Apple can produce some kind of iPhone type product that appeals to normal computer users, they'll have a huge hit. But, if they don't fill the gap between Macbook and iPhone/Touch, they're going to get hurt.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: May 05, 2009 03:48AM
>But, if they don't fill the gap between Macbook and iPhone/Touch, they're going to get hurt.

But if Steve says we don't need a netbook then we don't need a netbook!

I wonder if his statement about not being able produce a sub $500 computer that wasn't junk was more about the profit margin than actually being able to design a unit that would fit that price point. If everyone here that's bought the Mini 9's had a choice between the $225 (or less) M9 or a $400+/- Apple unit, which would you have chosen? Would it have been as sweet a deal? We all know the rush we get by getting something on the cheap and let's face it, these Dells are cheap. (pun intended)

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 03:50AM by Jack D..
Posted by: gabester
Date: May 05, 2009 06:36AM
I still would have purchased my $196 Dell Inspiron Mini 9 over a $400 hypothetical Apple product. But I also might have bought said Apple product, depending on features, as well. For example, I love my iPod Touch in theory but in practice 1) I don't buy many apps 2) Use it mostly as an MP3 player 3) wish it had a larger screen for web browsing because it's arduous reading a LOT of content comfortably from it. So if Apple released something like my long desired iPhoto Touch 6-10" screen photo frame product, I'd probably buy that and put it on the coffe table - if the price wasn't much greater than $400-500, but not at anything beyond $600.
g=
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: May 05, 2009 06:55AM
I was really happy when I scored my 12" PowerBook on ebay. G4 1.5 gig.
I bought a Mini9 and now I haven't fired up the PB in a month. It took me month to get used to the miniture keyboard.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: May 05, 2009 08:10AM
Dang, I miss my Duo.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: May 05, 2009 08:30AM
I'm happy with my Dell Mini 9. I know it's limitations and can live with them. I have both an iMac and a Macbook but use the Dell for travel and for places I wouldn't feel sadfe taking the Macbook.
Considering what it cost me, I wouldn't be too upset if anything bad happened to it. I purchased three outlet Mini 9s and sold two. The profit brought the cost of the keeper down to $75. Walking-around money...almost like having a disposable laptop or a cellphone.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: May 05, 2009 09:43AM
The dell mini is cheap in both senses of the word; it feels cheap AND it doesn't cost much.

However, it is great value for what I need it to do with it and it, unfortunately for me, has relegated my ipod touch to just a mp3, mp4 player and pandora streamer. I'll occasionally check mail on it. Only if I can't find the mini or it's being used by someone else will I even think of browsing or composing an email on it. And browsing is limited to light-duty browsing. I will rarely read the news or this forum on my ipod touch.

I feel that I get better value out of my $200 Ubuntu dell mini 9 than my $900 macbook EXCEPT when I need to do something that is either mac-only or runs much faster under a C2D (ie final cut, handbrake). I don't regret my macbook purchase for 1 second! If I could only have one computer, I'd still buy the macbook before the DM9. I do somewhat regret buying an ipod touch, but that's only because I don't need to unique ipod touch features.

The same thing that saved Apple in the late 90s makes the Dell so practical today: The internet is platform agnostic and doesn't care what OS you are using.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: May 05, 2009 11:31AM
gabester
I love my iPod Touch in theory but in practice 1) I don't buy many apps

Buy them or get the free ones--they multiply the utility of your iPod touch. It's the apps that make all the difference.

it's arduous reading a LOT of content comfortably from it.

I find that by double-tapping the desired column on a web page, the iPod's browser instantly zooms to include just that column on screen. Fast, and generally comfortable to read.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 05, 2009 02:27PM
I've got an iPhone, a Mini9, and a 15" MacBook Pro. I use all three things for different purposes. I think what everyone seems to be forgetting is that each product has a different target market. It isn't just about what works best for you, or what it could do, etc. Some people fall into more than one group, or fall between the lines. They could use either product but neither is suited for their needs. Add to that, some people don't actually know what they really need.

The iPhone is for people who are mobile and need access to information at the touch of a button. I use mine to check my email, calendar, get driving directions, and make phone calls while I am out in the field. The mini9 is too big to keep in my pocket and too much hassle to pull out every 5 or 10 minutes to check email. I couldn't see pulling out the Mini9 in traffic to grab a quick look at the map, but the iPhone is perfect for that. I wouldn't use the iPhone as an every day email machine for typing long messages, but it is perfect to give a quick yes or no to an invitation or an email needing a simple answer. That is the market for the iPhone.

The Mini9 is great for carrying around when you need to be able to do more than a short snipped of communication or a quick glance at something but nothing longer than 5 or 10 minutes of continual use. I've used mine while watching TV or in a Coffee shop. Out at a clients site where I don't want to be dragging a full laptop around. I've taken it camping so that I can pull down pictures from my camera when the SD card gets full. Some camp grounds have WiFi, again it is perfect for that. I've used it in the kitchen to pull up recipes.I couldn't type a book on it, or probably even a 5 page paper. But it is perfect for any normal email or surfing casually. I can check forums and message boards, catch up on the news. I couldn't really do any research with it, or put together spreadsheets, or do any programing. Those features need a bigger screen, more power, and a full size keyboard.

Which brings me to the MacBook Pro. It is a full out laptop. Does everything I need it to. It is big and bulky(compared to the other two) but it does a lot of things that the others can't. If anyone truly needs a MacBook Pro, there is no way that a NetBook or iPhone/iPod would be sufficient.

I'm not surprised at all about Netbook sales. They are cheap enough that it is worth the investment if you could use the features. A very large section of computer uses only do email and short web surfing. They have traditionally been sold the bottom end of the consumer laptops, because iPhone isn't what they need. The Netbooks just lower the entry price for these people.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 169
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020