advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $108.00 ( +1.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got an eye exam. How do I count Pupillary Distance for online order?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 07, 2009 11:24PM
This is all the numbers on the prescription. How to I come up with one number for Pupillary Distance?

Sphere
OD: -3.50

Cylinder
OD:

Axis
OD:

Horizontal Prism (blank)
Vertical Prism (blank)

Add
OD: +2.25

Dist PD
OD: 31.5

Near PD
OD: 30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 11:30PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got an eye exam. How do I count Pupillary Distance for online order?
Posted by: Lee3
Date: May 08, 2009 12:03AM
I was wondering about this myself. I have a feeling the optician does it when you order the glasses. I think they messed it up last time too.

You have to ask Kate on this board
Posted by: Kate
Date: May 08, 2009 12:05AM
If they didn't include it, you have a couple of options. Often, if you go to a Walmart Vision Center and ask them, they will measure it for you. You can also get a ruler marked with mm. Sit looking straight ahead, level and have someone measure from the center of one pupil to the other. It's fairly accurate.

I'm assuming that you are getting progressive lenses?

You might go to ZenniOptical dot com and look under their link for Your Prescription. They give a pretty accurate description.

I've gotten 2 pair of progressives from them, $60.00 a pair, and both are great.

Kate

[katesdisneycloset.blogspot.com]
[cholulared.blogspot.com]
[www.cholulared.com]
Date: May 08, 2009 12:18AM
Are these the numbers:

Dist PD

Near PD

If you add 2 of them together, you get close to the PD. Looing into the mirror, I get 63 mm.
Date: May 08, 2009 12:20AM
Are these the numbers:

Dist PD

Near PD

If you add 2 of them together, you get close to the PD. Looing into the mirror, I get 63 mm.

I am leaning toward 39dollarglasses. I've been reading lots of bad reviews about Zenni.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 08, 2009 04:13AM
Kate
If they didn't include it, you have a couple of options. Often, if you go to a Walmart Vision Center and ask them, they will measure it for you. You can also get a ruler marked with mm. Sit looking straight ahead, level and have someone measure from the center of one pupil to the other. It's fairly accurate.

I'm assuming that you are getting progressive lenses?

You might go to ZenniOptical dot com and look under their link for Your Prescription. They give a pretty accurate description.

I've gotten 2 pair of progressives from them, $60.00 a pair, and both are great.

Kate

Agreed.

I was skeptical (as opposed to optical) about ordering online. Zenni does it's job well.

When fascism Comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying the cross - Sinclair Lewis
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 08, 2009 04:41AM
I just recently received my order from glassesusa.com.

Takes about two weeks to receive after sending the order. mine took a bit longer because I have an odd script and they wanted a copy of the prescription to insure it was correct (the delay came when I forgot to send it for two days). I had the choice of sending it via snail mail, fax or scan and email.

Their selection of frames was more extensive then many others and the quality I received is as good as any I've every purchased. I got a pair of flex-titanium for myself (lenses and frames, uv & refect coating) for $78. I also got two pair of reading glasses (metal frame, uv & reflect coating) at $38 each. I also got my son a new pair for $60 - so the total of my four glasses came to $214 (but I then applied an online 15% coupon code, so I paid $182 - BUT WAIT - I linked to them through cashbaq.com which gave me and additional 7% off. So I'll get a check in a few weeks for 7% of the purchase price. That will make my final cost $169.

Shipping was free and glasses came in a case, which was further bubblewrapped.

There was an error in the order (one pair of reading glasses was left out), I called them and spoke to a real person (who was pleaent and understandable). They immediately apologized and put through a rush order to send the last pair. Which I received ten days later.

Here are some discount codes to try -

orders over $150 -- 15% off - 2GUSA15
repeat customer - 15% off - return
referral - 10% off - refer

don't forget Cashbaq for another 7%

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 08, 2009 06:12AM
My wife, child and I have all ordered Zenni glasses. My first pair came with a problem and they replaced them without question. The second pair were fine. My wife's and kid's were fine. My wife ordered another couple of pairs immediately after the first pair came ok. The new ones were fine. My kid has ordered glasses from them a couple of more times to match new outfits. She has found an $8 pair that comes in a variety of colors; she's on her way to getting them all, it seems. We'll keep using Zenni.

We used the "measure it yourself" method for the pd for my wife and kid. I had it on an old prescription for mine.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 08, 2009 07:09AM
. . .when you get your eye exam just make sure that you have them fill it out. . .if not, I downloaded a measure yourself ruler and it worked fine when I ordered my glasses. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 08, 2009 07:37AM
[zennioptical.com]

Sometimes a prescription has two numbers, written such as PD 65/62 usually written on a bi-focal prescription. This means that 65 is your distance vision PD, and the one to be entered on our forms. And 62 is the reading or near vision PD, the one to be used only if you are ordering a plain reading glass only.
Occasionally a PD is written as ,for example, 32/34.5 which are the mesurements from the center of the nose to either eye, and your PD is the sum of the two, 32+34.5=66.5 and you can enter this as 66 or 67 it does not really matter.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 08, 2009 08:22AM
Geezo that zenni site is dirt cheap. Where do they make the lenses ? Must be someplace like Bangladesh.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: May 08, 2009 11:15AM
From the glassyeyes.blogspot.com website (a must read for online eyeglass buyers) "What should really shock you is the mark-up you've been paying for lenses for as long as you've been wearing glasses. Standard single-vision lenses in bulk can cost as little as $2 per pair, progressives can be found for $6. Let that sink in a bit. No one is grinding lenses from a blank anymore. Need a -2.75 lens? Open a box and you've got one. Pop it in a machine to cut it to fit the frame and move on to the next one."

I just got a pair of great progressive lensed glasses from nationwideglasses.com for $56 postpaid and they got to me in a week!!
Posted by: thermarest
Date: May 08, 2009 03:37PM
I considered 39dollar, Zenni, EyeBuyDirect and eventually decided to order from Goggles4U. The glasses were $28 shipped, came in 10 days and are every bit the equal of those from LensCrafters at 8 times the price. The optical people at Costco were more than happy to measure my PD and write it down for me (I get my exams and buy contacts there).

I just sent off my favorite pair of sunglasses to have prescription lenses put into the frames by 39dollarglasses. $88 was the price for polarized CR-39 lenses. Not dirt cheap, but 1/2 lenscrafters.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 08, 2009 03:38PM
. . .39dollarglasses is supposed to be good also but I have a hard time finding glasses that fit me and most places don't have them in my sizes. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 08, 2009 04:44PM
If anyone is interested, there are 2 or 3 previous threads here about this. Search for "zenni".
Posted by: stoney70005
Date: May 09, 2009 01:15PM
This is a really helpful thread. Thanks, guys!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login