Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
wine etiquette
Posted by: lazydays
Date: May 08, 2009 06:41PM
Poll
When bringing a bottle of wine to a dinner would you expect...
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
25 votes were received.
it to be served with that dinner 6

24%
or stashed away for the host to enjoy later 19

76%

When bringing a bottle of wine to dinner would you expect that wine to be served or would you expect the host to hold onto the bottle and enjoy it at their leisure (perhaps they already had a bottle picked out)? I've never brought wine to a dinner and I'm simply curious as to what normal etiquette would be. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 06:43PM by lazydays.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: wine etiquette
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 08, 2009 07:00PM
even if they had a bottle of wine picked out, they can always open the second bottle (the one you brought in). 2 bottles is better than 1.

You can never have too much wine.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: May 08, 2009 07:08PM
You are a guest at their house and the wine is a gift. Any way they want to do it.
Posted by: dmann
Date: May 08, 2009 07:12PM
Unless they specifically asked for something to go with one of the dishes being served, I expect them to stash it for later.

DM
Posted by: earache
Date: May 08, 2009 07:18PM
The host will hopefully have picked the appropriate bottle(s) of wine to pair with the food. Your wine may or may not pair well, so it's best to leave it to the host's discretion. Please do not be offended. I do know some people who insist on drinking the wine they bring. That's fine with me because it's usually something I don't stock or have readily available, like rosé, white zin, blush, ripple, etc.

earache
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 08, 2009 07:23PM
white zin or ripple

:-)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 08, 2009 08:10PM
"It dpends"...

As already mentioned; if they're aficionados, they may have already selected the "perfect" wine to go with dinner... so stashing it away for another time shouldn't be taken as an offense.

If the host didn't have a wine selected, then it would certainly be a polite gesture to use the wine a guest brought.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 08, 2009 08:43PM
I would not expect wine I brought to be opened unless I had specifically talked to the host about coordinating the wine with the evenings menu.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: dk62
Date: May 08, 2009 08:53PM
Actually, the correct etiquette (at least in parts of Europe) is that you never serve the wine that you got as the gift that same evening.
This does not mean it cannot be served the next time you are invited - it may even be a good idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 08:54PM by dk62.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 08, 2009 09:47PM
earache
The host will hopefully have picked the appropriate bottle(s) of wine to pair with the food. Your wine may or may not pair well, so it's best to leave it to the host's discretion. Please do not be offended. I do know some people who insist on drinking the wine they bring. That's fine with me because it's usually something I don't stock or have readily available, like rosé, white zin, blush, ripple, etc.

+1
Posted by: pqrst
Date: May 09, 2009 12:59AM
I don't expect them to open my bottle. And what if one or two other people also brought wine to the party? Three open bottles of wine could be too much for some gatherings.
Posted by: billb
Date: May 09, 2009 08:04AM
Leave it in the car and only bring it in if the served wine sucks or they run out.

Otherwise, a gift is a gift.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2009 08:05AM by billb.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: May 09, 2009 10:12AM
Thanks for all the good info. In the case of the dinner party last night they did not serve it but they did serve a very high end red that I enjoyed very much. We started the evening with a mix of hard cider and mead that the host made himself, it was delicious.

Thanks again.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: May 09, 2009 03:11PM
There's etiquette? confused smiley

bunny smileyCentral VA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018