The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another wine/beer/liquor etiquette poll
Posted by: earache
Date: May 09, 2009 06:16PM
Poll
Do you bring your own alcohol?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
35 votes were received.
Yes 7

20%
No 12

34%
Depends 16

46%

You're invited to a party/gathering where food and drink will be served, but no alcohol. The hosts do not imbibe. They don't necessarily object to drinking as a rule, they just don't drink themselves and will not have alcohol available. Do you bring your own booze?

earache
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another wine/beer/liquor etiquette poll
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 09, 2009 06:20PM
please add another option to your poll:

"I will not attend such a party" smiling smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 09, 2009 06:31PM
. . .only if you bring enough to share with others. . .otherwise you look like a booze hound who couldn't live without having booze for 1 evening (IMHO). . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2009 06:33PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 09, 2009 06:38PM
Unless they tell you to BYOB, no.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: May 09, 2009 06:41PM
As long as the hosts have no objection to alcohol I would bring something for others to sample. If they do have an objection to alcohol then I would not out out of respect for them.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: May 09, 2009 06:42PM
No. What wurm said. They might not mind being around people who are drinking, such as at a party or barbecue at someone else's house, but they might not want people drinking in theirs, and that's their prerogative.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: May 09, 2009 06:55PM
I agree with Gutie. Frankly, there are some people I simply don't want to be around when they drink, and they'd be the ones most likely to bring their own. If the hosts are not serving alcohol, respect that and don't bring any, unless, of course, you've received the BYOB notice.
Posted by: dmann
Date: May 09, 2009 07:03PM
Agree with the others who have said unless they have explicitly indicated BYOB on the invite, I'd skip it.

Or, you could bring it, stash it someplace, and see what everyone else has done. Then decide to liberate it from its hiding place or not. smiling smiley

DM
Date: May 09, 2009 07:06PM
I was once invited to a teetotal crab feast, which I thought was a complete oxymoron, but instead I discovered that lemonade is delicious with steamed crabs.
Posted by: dk62
Date: May 09, 2009 07:12PM
That would be unusual. If the hosts do not drink, they should still provide the drinks for guests or ask for potluck/BYOB (not really separtating food from drink). For instance, I do not drink beer but I always buy it when I have guests. Or I will buy specific type of drink if I invited a friend who I know enjoys that type of drink. Has nothing to do with my taste, which revolves more around single malt scotch and heavy red wine.

It would be highly unusual for hosts to provide everything except alcohol simply because they do not drink. I would take that as a hint that they would rather not have people drink.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: May 09, 2009 07:34PM
Is this an Amway party??? It is isn't it??? Gee, I'd really like to go but I'll be busy working on a branching diagram that illustrates the hypothesized phylogenetic relationships between a group of polarized organisms. Maybe next time.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: May 09, 2009 07:35PM
There's etiquette?

bunny smileyCentral VA
Date: May 09, 2009 07:58PM
If it's an Amway party, by all means take anything you need to get through it. Alcohol, barbiturates, heroin...
Date: May 09, 2009 09:05PM
Let me tell you a little history that led up to this poll. I have two cousins who don't drink. They didn't even have alcohol at their weddings. In the early years we attended their events (Birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas) without any alcohol to speak of. My direct family has no qualms about alcohol and it flows freely whenever we get together. We respect those who don't partake and make sure we have something for everyone when we host a gathering. We don't get the same treatment when we attend one of their events. So we've taken to bringing our own wine (in addition to the non-alcoholic wine they like). More often than not we're not the only ones who appreciate it. Now I'm not a lush or anything, but not to have a drink of wine at Thanksgiving, Christmas, or to toast at a wedding is just absurd to me. Sometimes the drink is the only thing that gets you through some of these events. Gotta love family.

earache
Date: May 09, 2009 09:24PM
It was attending family gatherings when I was a kid where alcohol was served that has made me all but a teetotaler. I sure hope there are no children at these events you attend. My antenna go way up when I hear anyone say that to not have alcohol at holiday gatherings is absurb. Apparently that's how the adults in my family felt, and those are not warm fuzzy memories. I do occasionally drink, but I'm very careful about where and when, and, if I have guests, and I choose not to serve alcohol, I expect they will either respect that or not come to my house.
Date: May 09, 2009 09:45PM
Well I don't need to defend our drinking habits, but I can assure you that nobody's getting drunk at our events and setting a bad example. Kids are all over the place and what they see is just normal, responsible adults having a good time. Alcohol is not the focus of our events, but it is present, and for me that's perfectly acceptable. I respect those who don't drink and those who drink responsibly... there's no need to attach a stigma to responsible drinking.

AlphaDog
It was attending family gatherings when I was a kid where alcohol was served that has made me all but a teetotaler. I sure hope there are no children at these events you attend. My antenna go way up when I hear anyone say that to not have alcohol at holiday gatherings is absurb. Apparently that's how the adults in my family felt, and those are not warm fuzzy memories. I do occasionally drink, but I'm very careful about where and when, and, if I have guests, and I choose not to serve alcohol, I expect they will either respect that or not come to my house.

earache
Date: May 09, 2009 09:59PM
Just for the record, not one of those adults at our family gatherings would have characterized themselves as anything but "responsible drinkers".
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 09, 2009 10:01PM
I would never bring alcohol to an event that I wasn't sure it would be acceptable to do so, either by previous experience with the host or by invitation.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 09, 2009 10:44PM
No BYOB, no bottle.

Of many reasons I can think of off the top of my head, I wouldn't want to create a situation where people see me drinking, assume it's been provided by the hosts, and start bugging them about getting a drink.

If you're going to be miserable, or "uncomfortable", "not having fun" or whatever you want to call it, when it's just one evening, a few hours, without having liquor in you're hand, to me that's not a healthy sign.
Posted by: AAA
Date: May 10, 2009 07:26AM
I neither imbibe nor encourage.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 10, 2009 03:10PM
To add to what everyone else has said -- regardless of whether something is BYOB or not, when you hold a party or other gathering, ALWAYS make sure to provide a non-alcoholic alternative. There are a lot of good reasons why someone might not drink. Example: someone is in recovery.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018