advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A cat, a carpet, and some pee
Posted by: earache
Date: May 14, 2009 10:19AM
I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next. My sweet 6yo kitty Roxy has recently (since Dec.) decided to make the living room her private litter box. She was deathly ill in December (no diagnosis) and spent entire days downstairs in the living room. Even though a litter box was placed nearby she had a few accidents which we quickly forgave given her illness.

Well when she got better all seemed normal for a few weeks and then she randomly started peeing on the living room carpet. Unfortunately we didn't really notice this was happening until she had really marked up the place. Despite thorough soakings with Nature's Miracle and many carpet cleanings, the stench remained. We finally had to resort to putting down sheets of aluminum foil all over the carpet to stop her from peeing.

We took her to the vet to check for a UTI or other health issues, nothing. Used cat repellent. Added a second litter box downstairs. Tried different litters. Nothing has really changed in our/her routines. She always uses her litter boxes to poop and often to pee. I can see no pattern in her behavior.

I have run out of options at this point. Unless I can find some way to stop this I'm going to have to do something drastic. I just can't let my cat destroy the house.

So do any of you cat lovers have any ideas? I need help.

earache
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A cat, a carpet, and some pee
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: May 14, 2009 10:27AM
I went through this for many years with my kitty, who passed away last November at 13 y.o. All the health checks came back fine until his final months, when his was diagnosed with diabetes.

We just kept him confined to a room with a ratty linoleum floor that I can easily mop up during his final 3 months on earth.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 14, 2009 11:01AM
Sorry I can't help you with the cat, but this odor eliminator is supposed to be very good.

[www.whatodor.com]

I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to get some for my Hockey Gear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 11:01AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 14, 2009 11:02AM
We had a similar problem while remodeling our basement. Seems that Sophie considered it an impingement on her space to have tools and building materials down there, and there wasn't anywhere else in the house where we could keep her litter box, so we couldn't just keep her out of the basement. She would mark everywhere there was a stack of lumber, sheetrock, a tool bag, or a pile of sweepings. We did the NM thing with no success until we started using a blacklight to see where she was peeing. Don't know if you're using one, but it sure helped us. Only after getting EVERY spot wiped down and sprayed with NM were we successful. Seems that as long as there was ANY trace of her pee down there, she kept marking. HTH.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 14, 2009 11:17AM
in checking on What Odor, i came across this on Amazon. looks promising for your situation.

Urine-Off reviews

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 14, 2009 11:23AM
One of our kitties had a couple of accidents in our basement before we put two litter boxes down there. After doing a lot of research, I completely soaked the two areas with hydrogen peroxide and let them dry. Haven't smelled anything since. We have light beige carpet and it did not discolor in any way.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 14, 2009 11:34AM
I'm dealing with the same issue to a lesser degree. Cats can be very fussy about their litter box. My problems started when I got caught up in a lot of personal stuff and got lazy about cleaning out the box regularly. One cat was fine, but the other went off in search of greener weeing pastures if the box got too grungy. I got back on the ball and that got her back on her game for the most part. But I dare not miss a day or I'll catch her heading off to one of her alternate loos. It's become, not surprisingly I guess, a new learned behavior. And this is after more than ten years with no problems at all.

I tried Urine Be Gone, but, even making sure to really soak the area so it penetrates all the way through, it only eliminated the odor temporarily and had a distinctive scent of its own. The scent wasn't unpleasant at all, but I want to go back to no scent at all. I'll have to give Urine-off a try along with the black light to make sure I hit everywhere.
Posted by: Doc
Date: May 14, 2009 11:40AM
Cats typically mark because of pain or insecurity.

If it's painful to walk over to the litterbox for some reason (premature arthritis, an injury, maybe a scar from the infection), or if due to the illness she associates peeing in the litterbox with pain then it might be impossible to get her back to using only the litterbox.

If she's just a little insecure then she can be re-trained pretty easily.

I'd put a clean litterbox in that room and use "Cat Attract" scoopable litter with a healthy sprinkle of Litter Attractant. Keep the box scooped/clean and uncovered. Assuming that she opts to use the box, start using the same litter and attractant in her other box. Then, every week, move the new litter box perhaps 5 feet further away until it's next to the original litter box. (Yes, this could take a few months.)

This method has worked for a few of my cats in the past. OTOH, one cat had a urinary infection that left him perpetually afraid of the litterbox and he was never perfectly litterbox trained thereafter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 11:41AM by Doc.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 14, 2009 12:28PM
Our cat is in the same boat. He had a urinary tract infection, and when he got over that, he still didn't like using his box. The we found out that he has diabetes, we are treating him regularly for diabetes, but he still will not always use his box. We are keeping him confined to the laundry room where the cats have their boxes. Even after regular diabetes treatment, if he get out of the laundry room and into the house, he will pee at various places throughout the house. We're not sure what else to do.

My wife insists that we get rid of the carpet and replace it with laminate flooring. I, however, like carpeting.
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 14, 2009 02:53PM
Got one of those cats too. He's been like this since he was a kitten. It's worsened over the years (he's now 6). Health checks came out fine and we went through all the typical behavior modification. Next, we tried prozac. Yep, same as for people. It did work but giving this guy a pill every single day was a challenge. Smart boy could find some place in his mouth to hide it and fake us out. Even if we held him for 30 minutes afterwards he'd manage to be able to spit it out. I could also tell that he didn't like the effects of the drug. So, now I put plastic runners over his favorite spots and use [www.exstink.com]. I'll wait and replace carpets when his time is up.
Posted by: DRR
Date: May 14, 2009 03:00PM
Have you gotten a glucose curve done on your cat to check for diabetes?

The fact that she uses the box to always poop and sometimes pee is telling. Her kidneys may be overactive, resulting in often full bladders. Can be a sign of diabetes if the problem is pee only and not poop also.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 281
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018