advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's your favorite Neil Young album?
Posted by: hal
Date: May 14, 2009 05:11PM
My favorite changes all the time, but right now I'm, listening to an HD-CD of Time Fades Away. What a great bit of live performance complete with lots of rough edges. OF course Neil thinks I should be listening to a 25 year old LP on a $5000 turntable - on that topic, he's full of s__t. But that's ok...

Recent ones, Prairie Wind (the DVD live concert) and Greendale are really, really good. If you're an old-timer Neil fan and stopped following him years ago, pick those up - you won't be disappointed.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's your favorite Neil Young album?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 14, 2009 05:14PM
Weld. But then again, I like most all of his stuff.

Might be time to dig out some of his other stuff and load up the 'pods.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 14, 2009 05:19PM
Harvest Moon is about the only one that I like. He reminds me of Bob Dylan or Paul Simon in that he can't really sing, isn't really a great musician but he can write a fantastic song that other people can make famous.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: May 14, 2009 05:21PM
On NPR, heard that Dylan had some years ago visited Neil Young's childhood home in Canada, in a show of his regard/respect.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 14, 2009 05:24PM
I read that Paul Simon visited Dylan and found lyrics written on scraps of paper in the ash tray that Paul Simon said were better than anything he'd ever written.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 14, 2009 05:48PM
Of his solo albums - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

I don't think Neil believes that you can only listen to music on a $5 turntable; my table only cost around $1K, and it sounds good. However, I think he's right in that digital recordings are not the best way to preserve music. Analog tape, despite it's noise and other failings is a superior method of preserving recordings. The CD after all only came out when engineers finally developed a semi-conductor laser that would not self destruct at room temperature. Prior to CD's there were digital recordings of jazz and classical music that were recorded at higher bit rates than today's digital recordings. Imagine if all of the data on a dual layer DVD were allocated to the music on one CD.

CD's are not "perfect sound forever".

And now we have the mp3 generation that has further dumbed down peoples expectations of what a "quality" recording should sound like.

<end rant>
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: May 14, 2009 06:18PM
freeradical
Of his solo albums - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

I don't think Neil believes that you can only listen to music on a $5 turntable; my table only cost around $1K, and it sounds good. However, I think he's right in that digital recordings are not the best way to preserve music. Analog tape, despite it's noise and other failings is a superior method of preserving recordings. The CD after all only came out when engineers finally developed a semi-conductor laser that would not self destruct at room temperature. Prior to CD's there were digital recordings of jazz and classical music that were recorded at higher bit rates than today's digital recordings. Imagine if all of the data on a dual layer DVD were allocated to the music on one CD.

CD's are not "perfect sound forever".

And now we have the mp3 generation that has further dumbed down peoples expectations of what a "quality" recording should sound like.

<end rant>

agree smiley
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 14, 2009 06:21PM

And that album cover (which I still have) is what originally inspired my love for yellow Labs (even though I don't think that was a full Lab with him).

JoeM
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 14, 2009 06:38PM
Live Rust

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 14, 2009 06:39PM
most of Neils LPs I like about half of.
But "This Note ..."
"Harvest Moon" &
Prairie Wind" are faves

which is odd, coz mostly I like his rockin stuff.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 14, 2009 06:46PM
I was a huge fan in the 70's. My first favorite was "After the Goldrush". I then went on to "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere." That was the default 8-track for my friends and me. We would listen to it even when it was dragging and we had to stick a matchbook in the 8-track player to hold it steady. Then came "Harvest". 4th was his first solo record called "Neil Young" with "The Loner" and "The Old Laughing Lady".

I still like his later stuff - the mellower the better for me, but I still like 80% of what he does.
Date: May 14, 2009 06:57PM
The Old Laughing Lady at the very end of the Prairie Wind DVD is just amazing. Solo soundcheck in the empty theater.

Fritz - if you like rockin stuff, Have you heard Weld? HARD rockin'

I saw Paul Simon and Bob Dylan TOGETHER on stage. They played a short set together... it was.... odd...

free and yoyo are wrong! :-)

Ztirffritz- if you like Harvest Moon, you're bound to like Harvest (Harvest Moon's namesake) and Prairie Wind.
Date: May 14, 2009 07:17PM
Comes a Time is in the same vein as Harvest Moon, the best I recall.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: May 14, 2009 07:36PM
Hard to pick a favorite, but Tonight's the Night is probably the one I'd load first into the iPod. Gotta be in the right mood for that album, though.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 14, 2009 07:44PM
zeppo2
Hard to pick a favorite, but Tonight's the Night is probably the one I'd load first into the iPod. Gotta be in the right mood for that album, though.

You must be a hard core Neil fan like me. We're the only ones who rate that as his best.

To hal, where did you get that? Time Fades Away is the only Neil LP that's never been released on CD so it must be a bootleg.
Sign the petition to release TFA on CD.

TFA's a great album. Too bad Neil doesn't feel the same way.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 14, 2009 07:45PM
. . .uh who is Neal Yung. . .?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 14, 2009 07:50PM
ztirffritz
He reminds me of Bob Dylan or Paul Simon in that he can't really sing,

Neil's voice is an acquired taste, but once acquired, it's wonderful. Funny how Bob Dylan, Neil and Lucinda Williams wouldn't even make it through the first round of American Idol but Michael Bolton would sail through with all the judges wetting themselves. Who would you rather listen to?

ztirffritz
. . . isn't really a great musician . . .

I strongly disagree with this. Check out his guitar playing on the "Are You Passionate" album. There are times when you'd swear it was Carlos Santana playing.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 14, 2009 11:17PM
Live Rust, Harvest, After the Gold Rush, Rust Never Sleeps, and don't forget CSNY.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: May 14, 2009 11:40PM
Niel is my bud.
I like him cause I can sing like he does
Date: May 15, 2009 12:19AM
I have a rule for musicians:

• Never sing a Neil Young song to people
who have never heard Neil Young, in the original key.
Posted by: rexs
Date: May 15, 2009 12:29AM
mike sellers
Neil's voice is an acquired taste, but once acquired, it's wonderful.

In the mid 70's my roommate and I came to an agreement. He wouldn't play the Dead when I was home and I wouldn't play Neil Young when he was home. It solved a lot of blood on the floor problems.
zeppo2
I agree.
I was going through a rough time in life when that came out, I'm sure the neighbors were thankful I used headphones, but disappointed that I did not realize I was singing out loud.
Date: May 15, 2009 01:46AM
Mike Sellers
To hal, where did you get that? Time Fades Away is the only Neil LP that's never been released on CD so it must be a bootleg.
Sign the petition to release TFA on CD.

TFA's a great album. Too bad Neil doesn't feel the same way.

Yes, it's a boot - there was a test pressing done some years ago and of course if leaked out to the net...
Date: May 15, 2009 03:06AM
I would think a Dead fan and a Neil Young fan could get along, music-wise.
Date: May 15, 2009 06:57AM
Dennis S
I would think a Dead fan and a Neil Young fan could get along, music-wise.

Even though Neil's known for stretching out some songs, I've never been into the Dead or any jam band for that matter. I'd rather hear 3 or 4 songs over 30 minutes instead of one. A friend of mine use to joke that the Allman Brothers invented the 12-inch dance mix.
Date: May 15, 2009 01:51PM
I forgot about that long stuff. I was thinking about American Beauty. That's the only Dead I ever listened to, so I stand corrected.
Posted by: d0e
Date: May 15, 2009 07:07PM
i like most of the studio albums but if i had to pick one it would be the MTV unplugged album same goes for nirvana.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020