advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I think we have decided on going to San Francisco, now where should we stay?
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 16, 2009 08:35AM
From the previous thread, [forums.macresource.com], you may know that my daughter and I are planning a trip to San Francisco, thanks in part to all the advice received here. Thanks again. The question I have now is, what part of town would be the best for us to stay in? We want to do most of the touristy things and see the sights, but she also wants to do some shopping, mostly for unique clothes. We have decided not to rent a car, so access to the trolley/bus/BART system for getting around is essential.

Looking at Trip Advisor, It looks like we would be good staying either around Fisherman's Wharf or somewhere around Union Square. I want a safe area with some convenient to walk to eating places. We will not be looking for fancy dress eateries, but just a variety of good local places. Any help on the area or even specific hotels would be greatly appreciated.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I think we have decided on going to San Francisco, now where should we stay?
Posted by: msglee
Date: May 16, 2009 08:53AM
Have fun

[www.youtube.com]

Bowleys Quarters MD
Re: I think we have decided on going to San Francisco, now where should we stay?
Posted by: earache
Date: May 16, 2009 09:03AM
I live just north of SF and whenever we head into the city for a get away weekend we stay here: [www.hotelunionsquare.com] It's just off Union Square, close to the cable cars, bus lines and trolleys. Lots of great places to eat within walking distance. The hotel is great... not your typical rooms. Regardless of where you stay, you're going to have a lot of fun.

earache
Posted by: August West
Date: May 16, 2009 09:20AM
I used to live in SF. After I moved, when I went back I always enjoyed staying at The Cornell Hotel

[www.cornellhotel.com]
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: May 16, 2009 09:35AM
We stayed at the Renaissance Parc 55. It was convenient to BART, trolleys, Moscone, etc.
[www.parc55hotel.com]

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: davester
Date: May 16, 2009 09:44AM
Those areas sound good. Since I live so close I seldom stay in hotels, though my wife took me to the Hyatt Regency for my birthday. It is right across from the Ferry Building at the base of Market street. We just walked across the street to go running along the Embarcadero (along with a large fraction of the city). On the weekend you can walk to the Ferry Building farmer's market which is well worth going to even if you're not grocery shopping.

Another couple of thoughts on places to go very locally that I don't think were mentioned in the other thread. For very non-mainstream shopping you should probably check out the Haight Ashbury. Also, for hippy crafts and jewelry take BART over to Berkeley and go to Telegraph Avenue adjacent to the University on the weekend...lots of street vendors. The university is also an interesting place to walk around and there are some great restaurants there (though scattered around Berkeley and not on Telegraph which is the student part of town). I haven't been to the Castro (Castro and Market Streets in SF) lately but I do recall them having interesting shops and its worth going just to get the flavor of the place, which was the center of everything for the events in the movie "Milk" (the Castro theater is also a great place to catch a movie). Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf/Ghirardelli Square are total tourist traps where you can buy lots of junky touristy stuff but if you like those kinds of things then they are the places to go. Pier 39 is an artificially built tourist trap and nothing else while Fisherman's Wharf retains the character of the original San Francisco (and still has fishing boats). For non-shopping places to go I think it's well worthwhile to go to the Marina Green where a good fraction of the city goes to walk, run, rollerblade, bike, etc in a spectacular location and there are often events going on there. Also, just a few blocks south is Chestnut Street with tons of shopping and restaurants. I'd also suggest that you walk through Chinatown (Grant Street) all the way to Columbus, where Chinatown merges into the italian part of town with tons of great coffee shops, bars, restaurants, etc. There are plenty of other places to go but those are some of the most enjoyable off the top of my head.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 16, 2009 09:48AM
maybe it's been said (sung) already but

be sure to wear some flowers in your hair...

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: August West
Date: May 16, 2009 09:53AM
Davester's advice on Pier 39 and Ghirardelli are spot on. But the cable car ride over used to be nice. There were two different routes from Powell St. As a tourist I would recommend the route through Pacific Heights not the one via Colombus. I didn't read your other thread, but if you've not seen redwoods I would recommend a trip to Muir Woods with a stop in Sausalito and maybe by the old gun emplacements on the Marin side of the Golden Gate, classic view of the City/Bay. Try to take a walk on Baker/China beach also.
Date: May 16, 2009 09:55AM
Thanks for all the info, so far. I am thinking that the Union Square area would be the best and I will check out those hotels you guys mentioned. My daughter is a latter day hippie, and definitely wants to shop in the Haight/Asbury district. I can just imagine what she will be buying, but hey, she will be wearing it at college, so what do I care. grinning smiley

That is a great suggestion about going over to Berkley to shop at the street vendors. She has a friend from HS who moved to CA a few years ago and will be attending Berkley, so that would be cool to see.

BTW, what kind of flowers would you suggest we wear? smiling smiley

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 16, 2009 09:59AM
. . .any 'unique' hotels. . .I read that small cheap Eurochic hotels are all the rage and you kinda get sick of all the chain hotels. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: May 16, 2009 11:06AM
rgG
BTW, what kind of flowers would you suggest we wear? smiling smiley

I think daisies are de rigeur, but variations are allowed...

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: maco
Date: May 16, 2009 12:28PM
If you do get a chance to go to Big Sur, here is where we used to stay.
It is a really neat place.
It has definitely gotten a little bit pricey over the years.

[www.deetjens.com]
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: May 16, 2009 12:30PM
This may not be of any interest to you at all, but there's a gorgeous, world-class fabric store called Britex in or near Union Square.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: May 16, 2009 01:51PM
Just came back from a week on SF. We stayed at the Beresford Arms Hotel about four blocks from Union Square [www.beresford.com]
It's old European and dated but about half the price ($94) of places on Fisherman's Wharf. If you can spend more, I highly recommend The White Swan Hotel [www.jdvhotels.com]
It's a beautiful small hotel and you get a full breakfast with the room. We took a look at it while we were there and were sorry we didn't book it, but it would have been too much trouble to change hotels half way through the trip.
Date: May 16, 2009 03:42PM
Thanks again for all the suggestions. My daughter really liked the looks of the Hotel Union Square and the location is great, too. I will also check out the White Swan before we make a final decision.

Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: May 16, 2009 04:33PM
I stayed at the Queen Anne Hotel (hope this map link works):

[maps.google.com]

I was very happy with it. Reasonable rates, nice Victorian place. It was originally a school for girls. The only drawback is that parking is a little iffy, if you have your own car.

[www.queenanne.com]

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: M>B>
Date: May 16, 2009 06:24PM
If you are staying near Union Square, Sears is a good place for breakfast, no not that one this one...

[www.searsfinefood.com]

Or, any of these places and more...

[www.sanfrancisco.com]
Posted by: earache
Date: May 16, 2009 06:35PM
If you end up staying near Union Square try Puccini and Pinetti for dinner. Neat place and good food. It's just a block from Hotel Union Square.

earache
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: May 16, 2009 08:36PM
Japantown has lots of good hotels and restaurants. Hotel Kabuki is nice...
Posted by: Silencio
Date: May 16, 2009 11:17PM
I tend to refer people to the Mosser Hotel. On Fourth Street across Market from Union Square and dangerously close to the Apple Store. Good value for the money and convenient location.

Unique clothes, eh? Then you'll probably want to avoid the Forever 21 and H&M outlets in Union Square. The best district for clothes shopping is Hayes Valley, though most of the wares are out of most 18 year-olds' price ranges! My favorite shops there are Azalea, Acrimony, Nida, and Nomads (men's clothes only, alas).

The Haight is kind of a weird place these days. Still some hippie/punk-ish remnants remain amongst some high-end boutiques and loads of street urchins. I'd suggest Villians, Villians Vault (if she's got more money to blow), Wasteland, and definitely do not miss Amoeba Music. Have breakfast at the Pork Store Cafe if you are on Upper Haight early enough. I'd suggest taking the N-Judah light rail train and walking down the hill to Haight Street instead of taking the trolley buses that run down Market to Haight. The N is faster and less sketchy.

If and when you go to North Beach, your daughter might like Ooma (on Grant near Green). Very cute clothes; she'll do well there if she gets sticker shock in Hayes Valley. [Disclaimer: my fiancée and one of my best friends own this store.]

Also do check out the Mission. There are some nice shops, good cafes, and loads of restaurants on Valencia Street. Take BART to 16th & Mission, walk up to Valencia, then walk Valencia from 16th to 24 and catch BART back downtown from 24th & Mission. Or walk eastbound on 24th Street and score some ice cream at Humphry Slocumb. Yes, they have ice cream with bourbon and corn flakes in it.
Posted by: rexs
Date: May 17, 2009 02:30AM
a friend went recently and said:

We went up to San Francisco for 3 nights 4 days ..., and stayed at the hotel Donatello for $103 a night (we will stay no where else from now on...the rooms were terrific and large...the service was great
Date: May 17, 2009 08:20AM
Thanks for even more suggestions. I think I had looked at the Donatello, I will look again, and I had seen the Mosser on TripAdvisor, so I will also look at it.

Lots of great info from everyone and I really appreciate it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018