advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
'Anyone else get spammed by OWC today?
Posted by: Doc
Date: May 19, 2009 03:16PM
'Getting tired of having to unsubscribe from OWC's mailing lists every couple of months when they add me again without my consent.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 'Anyone else get spammed by OWC today?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 19, 2009 03:17PM
I've never received an email from them, except for order confirmations.
Date: May 19, 2009 03:21PM

Many of you have come to know OWC and myself over the past 21 years via the Tips n' Deals newsletter as well as various forums and events we are active in. As these modes of communication are continued, we felt a quick conversation exploring OWC today would be of interest to you...

Nope.

None.

Nada.

No interest whatsoever.
Posted by: clay
Date: May 19, 2009 03:23PM
I got two at two different addresses this morning. First one I've ever received (not requested), and will probably unsubscribe at both addresses.
Posted by: john-o
Date: May 19, 2009 03:41PM
I got one, and then proceeded to get stuck in a gawd-awful 'confirm' loop when trying to actually sign up for one of their newsletters. I guess I shoulda known?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 19, 2009 03:42PM
I can cope with the occasional email in exchange for this forum.

At least they're not trying to sell me \/1@gar@ or ci@l1s.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: john-o
Date: May 19, 2009 03:47PM
Good one Paul! ...But you misspelled \/ยก@gr@!!
Posted by: hal
Date: May 19, 2009 03:52PM
SLEAZY internet practice

ebay has been doing this for years...

they have a newsletter - they send it to you - give you an opt out option - you take it...

a year later, they start a NEW newsletter and automatically opt you in. Ebay now has something like 10 newsletters...

No doubt, there will be a new OWC newsletter in another year or so that we'll all have to opt out of...

same as it ever was...
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: May 19, 2009 04:01PM
We don't repeatedly add emails back to lists, etc. We did have a glitch with our server this AM that interfered with both subscribe and unsubscribe requests. Yours truly has been responding to emails related to this and I sincerely apologize. Further - any remove request from this list (which is the only general non-subscribe initial send we've done/do) will prevent any future send from it and there is no other like it. Our other two newsletters are opt-in only - you don't get on the list without subscribing directly or checking the box(es) to be added at the time of an order + have to click an activation link to confirm.

Any issue can always be sent to me personally. I personally put the time in on matters like this, not some auto-bot, etc.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: May 19, 2009 04:07PM
Thank you, Larry.
Date: May 19, 2009 04:09PM
OWC Larry
We don't repeatedly add emails back to lists, etc. We did have a glitch with our server this AM that interfered with both subscribe and unsubscribe requests. Yours truly has been responding to emails related to this and I sincerely apologize. Further - any remove request from this list (which is the only general non-subscribe initial send we've done/do) will prevent any future send from it and there is no other like it. Our other two newsletters are opt-in only - you don't get on the list without subscribing directly or checking the box(es) to be added at the time of an order + have to click an activation link to confirm.

Any issue can always be sent to me personally. I personally put the time in on matters like this, not some auto-bot, etc.

yeah... whatever...

honestly stating that you're trying to expand the biz knowing that you were going to piss off some people would have been a better way to go... This was an unsolicited email from a biz looking to get some of my money - that's spam. There was nothing in this recent sapm that couldn't have been included in the other newsletter.
Date: May 19, 2009 04:15PM
I haven't got quite so much vitriol about it. It's annoying, though.

I'm not going to assume that it was intentional, but this "glitch" repeats about 3 times a year and I end up subscibed to OWC newsletters that I've already repeatedly opted out from.

It'd be nice if that'd stop.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: May 19, 2009 04:27PM
The occasional email blast from OWC -- a business I enjoy doing business with, and to whom I am grateful for hosting a forum I use daily -- is just about the least of my concerns about my email inbox, let alone life overall.

Seriously. I get a lot more "opt-in" email from other businesses (I have an email address set up specifically for buying stuff and opting-in to advertising), and I have a lot bigger worries in my life.

I just hit delete if I don't want to read something.
Done.

And done.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Date: May 19, 2009 04:46PM
Doc
I haven't got quite so much vitriol about it.

I'm in a really bad mood today - best stay out of my way...

ARGH!!!!!
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 19, 2009 04:48PM
"yeah... whatever...

honestly stating that you're trying to expand the biz knowing that you were going to piss off some people would have been a better way to go... This was an unsolicited email from a biz looking to get some of my money - that's spam. There was nothing in this recent sapm that couldn't have been included in the other newsletter."

Why not just say you don't believe him. Much more concise, less labor.

I suggest such a statement satisfies you, and adds nothing to the forum or the thread..

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: May 19, 2009 07:47PM
I didn't mind at all.

I looked it over, then deleted it.

I <3 OWC!!!

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: chopper
Date: May 19, 2009 08:08PM
I didn't find it to be a big deal at all. OWC has stellar customer service and I try to buy from them regularly. They're good people.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 19, 2009 08:19PM
if i'm a customer of a company, it's not spam to me. annoying maybe but that's what the delete key for.

if OWC went through forum registrations and harvested email addresses that would be somewhat suspect but even then, i get so much out of this FREE forum i wouldn't think to kevetch about an ocassional email or two.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: ~Dan
Date: May 19, 2009 09:22PM
if i'm a customer of a company, it's not spam to me.

No matter how you try to spin it, if it is unsolicited E-Mail trying to get you to spend money it is SPAM.
Date: May 19, 2009 09:24PM
chopper
OWC has stellar customer service and I try to buy from them regularly. They're good people.

Agreed.

graylocks

Spam is unsolicited commercial email.

If I haven't requested it and it's trying to sell me something then it's spam.

If I've taken every reasonable step to request that they not send me such messages then it's both spam and it represents a lapse of ethics or a mistake in their system that needs redress.

According to Larry, it's a mistake. I'll take him at his word.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 20, 2009 01:23AM
~Dan

No matter how you try to spin it, if it is unsolicited E-Mail trying to get you to spend money it is SPAM.

I guess you disagree with him then. And I disagree with you.
Posted by: dmann
Date: May 20, 2009 07:28AM
Wow. Do you guys go to a party and insult your hosts, too?

OWC generously sponsors this site and doesn't charge us one nickel for it.

They sent you email you didn't want. Not cool.
You posted here, instead of trying to deal with them directly. ?
The OWNER of the company posted publicly and apologized. Great.

You STILL aren't satisfied. ?

DM
Posted by: ~Dan
Date: May 20, 2009 08:49AM

guess you disagree with him then. And I disagree with you.

Disagree all you wish .... what is your definition of SPAM ?

SPAM is SPAM, no matter who is sending it.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 20, 2009 09:07AM
dmann

They sent you email you didn't want. Not cool.
You posted here, instead of trying to deal with them directly. ?
The OWNER of the company posted publicly and apologized. Great.

You STILL aren't satisfied. ?

DM

No @#$%&, huh? That was exactly my reaction, too. I agree that if you unsubscribe, you should remain unsubscribed but taking it *personally* is not only dumb but wrong and ignorant - there's usually no one targeting you at the other end.

I guess some folks are just paranoid.
Date: May 20, 2009 02:17PM
dmann

I brought the incident to public attention because I consider it a significant breach of trust.

Larry has apologized and said it was a mistake. He's also promised to personally intervene if anything like it happens again.

That's respectable. That kind of response is one reason why I give OWC my business and recommend them to others.

I disagree with your premise that OWC should not go uncriticized here. I think that bringing customer service issues to the attention of the management is one of the core functions of this place.

Posting here about trouble with OWC -- rather than complaining on other forums or blogs or calling the BBB -- is beneficial to OWC and to our community at large. It offers us the opportunity to bring various perspectives to bear and calm tempers. It offers Larry notice of the trouble so that he can correct it and provides him with the opportunity to explain and diffuse problems before they blow up.
Date: May 20, 2009 05:00PM
Doc, your loyalty is nice, but you misread larry's post.

He apologized for a glitch in "server this AM that interfered with both subscribe and unsubscribe requests". That's nice, but that's not what the initial post was complaining about.

Larry then went on to say, "Further - any remove request from this list (which is the only general non-subscribe initial send we've done)..."

He did not apologize for creating the NEW list that was a "non-subscribe initial send" that was sent out.

Non subscribe initial send - doesn't this mean that the first one sent was not subscribed/requested?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 05:01PM by hal.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 20, 2009 09:56PM
Yowza, three times a year. That certainly must be a burden.

Doc
but this "glitch" repeats about 3 times a year and I end up subscibed to OWC newsletters that I've already repeatedly opted out from.

It'd be nice if that'd stop.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 20, 2009 10:23PM
Speedy
Yowza, three times a year. That certainly must be a burden.

This spam hit my "good" email address that I reserve for close friends and family.

I don't use that email address for purchases as a general rule, 'tho obviously I used it for an OWC purchase. I don't give it out freely.

I have other addresses that are dedicated to online purchases and mailing lists and for promotions that are likely to lead to spam.

Seeing spam turn up in that particular inbox feels like an assault. Three times a year is three times too much.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: May 21, 2009 04:39PM
We're big on preventing spam and not contributing to it. On the three times bit - once removed, should never be back. An added step in our system is now maintaining a list of 'requested excludes'. I don't want mail to go anywhere it's not wanted. And a 2nd double-check will be in place to insure such isn't repeatable. A removed address should never get re-added to any of our standard lists as they are double-opt-in - got to subscribe and then click an activator link. That should be the only way someone is ever on our Tips n' Deals or Hot Deals Blast newsletters. We don't just drop people on these lists + even when opted in (have to check a box to opt-in, not defaulted) onto these lists - you still get sent the activator to confirm.

Anyway - I watch and involve myself with this stuff with high priority and seriousness. All said - you actually do get heard, listened to, and replied to when we are made aware of an issue.... We do care - not just lip service or no service at all more typically associated with such e-mails.

thanks for listening and for the feedback.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 22, 2009 12:04PM
mikebw
I've never received an email from them, except for order confirmations.

I take it back, not that I would categorize it as SPAM, but I did receive this same message from OWC. Gmail put it into my spam folder. I don't consider it spam because I am a customer I have not opted out of their emails.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020