advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
shoe polish, dye or Magic Marker™
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 21, 2009 02:04PM
Okay, right off the bat I'll acknowledge that this is a ridiculous question but that's never stopped me before. So here goes.

I have a pair of 3 year old pair of Teva sandals which are really comfortable, but on which the Velcro is wearing out. So I just bought a new pair. The thing is, I wanted black, but couldn't find them locally and I need them by next week. Famous Footwear sells the sandal and not only was it on sale there, but I also had a 20% off coupon, so instead of $80, they cost me $52. Problem is, the only color they carry is the blue print. If one were so vain as to want to potentially ruin a new pair of sandals by coloring over the blue, what means would one use to do so; dye, shoe polish, Magic Market or something else?

See, I told you it was a ridiculous question.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: shoe polish, dye or Magic Marker™
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 21, 2009 02:11PM
Magic Marker will rub off and/or turn purplish. Shoe polish might run into your feet and not cover the blue completely. Fabric paint would probably be your best bet.

Joe
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 21, 2009 02:20PM
How about Rit Dye?

[www.ritdye.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 21, 2009 02:25PM
Take them to a shoe repair place. Dying shoes is routine for them, though they are most accustomed to dying leather. Dunno how dye would work on synthetics - might be a problem on non-absorbent material like the Teva uppers.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: May 21, 2009 02:46PM
Get over it & wear 'em blue!

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 21, 2009 02:55PM
. . .would hair dye like 'Just For Men' work. . .?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: May 21, 2009 03:14PM
Rit dye. The soles (and possibly the upper 'fabric' ) may not take the dye well .

Permanent ink (magic marker) isn't.

Shoe polish would probably transfer to your feet .
Date: May 21, 2009 04:33PM
DaviDC.
Get over it & wear 'em blue!

I'm surprised I actually got three other answers before this one. smiling smiley It's certainly the most logical (and practical) answer, but I appreciate all of them.
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 21, 2009 05:00PM
wurm, that would be too easy.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 21, 2009 05:14PM
$80.00 -20%=$52 ???? Must be that "New Math".
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: May 21, 2009 06:28PM
testcase
$80.00 -20%=$52 ???? Must be that "New Math".

Apparently they were already marked down from the usual $80, with another 20% off of whatever the sale price was. I could calculate the sale price, but I'm too lazy. Not only that, but after 50 years, I think I've also forgotten how to set up the algebraic equation, so that's most likely what I'm too lazy to do. smiling smiley
Date: May 21, 2009 07:07PM
AD is right once again. They were already marked down to $64.99, then with my 20% off coupon, that brought it down to $51.99.

[www.famousfootwear.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 07:08PM by wurm.
Posted by: Doc
Date: May 21, 2009 07:28PM
The straps are nylon. I doubt they'll hold the color without a hot acid dye and even then they might not take it.

The rubber base won't take fabric dye. If you try, at best, it'll turn your feet black and leave black foot prints.

For the base, you could try a specialized vinyl dye like the kind they use on car dashboards and computer cases, but I suspect that it'll end up rubbing off.

Since you know the model sandal you want, why don't you just order the right ones online and return the blue ones?
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 21, 2009 08:38PM
I personally think anything you do will probably yield a less than desirable outcome, but this would certainly make them black, if you get the black color. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: May 21, 2009 10:26PM
Just put on really really dark sunglasses, and they'll look black. :-)

Or get a blow torch and char them severely.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 22, 2009 02:34AM
geez people, vinyl dye. what else would you use? [www.msitrt.com] even after a night at the bar I can answer that question.
Date: May 22, 2009 08:17AM
Doc

Since you know the model sandal you want, why don't you just order the right ones online and return the blue ones?

The main reason is that I wouldn't have received them in time for our upcoming trip. The secondary reason (and almost as important) is that I would have had to pay nearly full price. And we all know that's not an option. ;)
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 22, 2009 09:04AM
Why not replace the velcro fasteners?

You should be able to buy strips of the stuff at your local fabric store and then hand-sew it in place.

Then you can watch for the perfect replacement at the perfect price at your leisure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2009 09:05AM by Janit.
Posted by: Doc
Date: May 22, 2009 09:18AM
wurm
Doc

The main reason is that I wouldn't have received them in time for our upcoming trip. The secondary reason (and almost as important) is that I would have had to pay nearly full price. And we all know that's not an option. ;)

1. Overnight/Saturday delivery would not be timely?

2. Factor in the cost of the dye (or paint) and your time and full price is probably the cheaper alternative.
Date: May 22, 2009 10:36AM
Doc

1. Overnight/Saturday delivery would not be timely?

2. Factor in the cost of the dye (or paint) and your time and full price is probably the cheaper alternative.

1. Timely, yes. Too expensive, definitely, especially considering that Monday is a holiday.

2. Well, yes. That's why I hoping for the Magic Market solution. I have a few of those on hand. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020