advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $105.22 ( +0.39 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how long should it take an upright freezer to cool down?
Posted by: clay
Date: May 28, 2009 07:57PM
When we bought our house a year ago, there was an upright freezer out in one of the outbuildings. It was turned off, and we just kind of left it alone (other than opening the door so it wouldn't get moldy). This year, we decided to bring it into the house for extra freezer space since we'll be freezing a lot of stuff from the garden. Brought it in the house last evening, then tonight (about 24 hours later) plugged it in and turned it on about 6pm.

It's almost 9pm now, and the freezer has been running nonstop. How long should it take until it cools down and shuts off? I moved a few items from our other freezer into the new one, and it feels like the freezer itself is getting cold, some frost forming on racks, etc.

I just want to make sure that this thing isn't going to run 100% of the time--the electric bill for that would not be worth it to me. Thoughts?

i should add that this freezer looks moderately recent, but I'm sure is at least 5 years old...maybe older.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2009 07:58PM by clay.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how long should it take an upright freezer to cool down?
Date: May 28, 2009 08:13PM
3 hours maximum to reach 20 F, or whatever the setting is. My guesses are the coolant leaked out or the recirculation line is plugged (filter or orifice).

in tha 510.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 28, 2009 08:13PM
well, from warm inside will take a while, more that 3 hours. Check in the morning. Worse case is it will cost a buck to run that long overnight. Then decide if it is worth it. Do you have a thermometer that will go down to 0? put inside for a while and see what it is at. But empty it is just chilling down the interior and the air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2009 08:13PM by Racer X.
Posted by: AAA
Date: May 28, 2009 08:18PM
Some of the new stuff takes too long. We sent one back after it was not cool enough after 24 hours.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 28, 2009 08:20PM
AAA
Some of the new stuff takes too long. We sent one back after it was not cool enough after 24 hours.

way undersized "green" compressor most likely.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: May 28, 2009 08:20PM
Without knowing anything about the temperature inside the freezer or the temperature inside the house or the size of the freezer, I don't see how anybody can come up with a specific length of time. I certainly didn't time my freezer after buying it and plugging it in, but I seem to remember that it took a heck of a lot longer than three hours, and it was put in place in November. If it hasn't gone down to operating temperature by tomorrow morning, I'd say it has a problem, but I wouldn't get concerned before then.
Date: May 28, 2009 08:24PM
It is 65-70 degrees both inside and out. It's overcast and rainy right now, so it's definitely not hot. Windows are open and the breeze is coming through. The freezer was inside the house all day and the air temp shouldn't have been more than 75. Humidity is high right now (it's raining) and slightly muggy.

Thanks all, for your advice. I don't have a thermometer that goes to 0, so I'll just take a chill pill and check it in the morning smiling smiley
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: May 28, 2009 08:37PM
I would suggest you get yourself a freezer thermometer. If you're using a freezer that doesn't have any history, a thermometer is cheap insurance to make sure the food you want to store in there is safe. It's pretty easy to tell if something is frozen, but it's much harder to estimate the actual interior temperature, which should be down around zero in order to best preserve food. Good luck!
Date: May 28, 2009 08:43PM
Cooling will be approximately logarithmic. Okay, 3 hours might be a little short to reach the set point but it should not take more than 3 hours to get noticeably cool in the freezer if it is operating okay. At the minimum it should be able to freeze water in an ice cube tray within 24 hours.

in tha 510.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: May 28, 2009 08:46PM
I would say it should be below freezing after 24 hours.
Posted by: artie67
Date: May 28, 2009 10:02PM
If the temp gets close, check the door for leaks by closing it on a sheet of paper. The hinges can be adjusted for a better fit. My upper shelves were getting "frosty" and adjusting made a big difference. Here's where the "killowatt" meter is a good tool to have.
Date: May 28, 2009 10:54PM
I have seen the Kill-a-watt on sale for $18. It might take a while for it to actually save you that much electricity but it is really nice knowing exactly how much energy the different appliances and components are using. After the freezer reaches the setpoint, a Kill-a-watt could give a close estimate of the yearly power use after collecting data for two days.

in tha 510.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 29, 2009 05:28AM
Any freezer with a functioning sealed system should be freezing contents well within 3 hours. Put a plastic container of water in it. If it doesn't freeze in that time frame, toss the unit. It will cost 80% of a new one to fix it.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mavericks.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 29, 2009 06:45AM
I'm with the give-it-a-try crowd.

Ours runs a lot, even when it is 10 below outside (it is in our garage.) Always has since new. I do need to have them come out to check the refrigerant. We set it at one notch above the coldest setting.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 29, 2009 11:32AM
Speedy
I'm with the give-it-a-try crowd.

Even if the thing does work properly (and I'm skeptical), it might use so much electricity that the cost of running it for a couple of years would buy you a brand spanking new one. I'd definitely check it with the kill-a-watt before putting it into service.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: May 29, 2009 01:19PM
UPDATE--

When I got up this morning, freezer wasn't running, but stuff inside was frozen solid. Closed the freezer, freezer ran for about a half-hour before shutting off again. I do have a kill-a-watt that I'll hook up this weekend to get a sense of how much juice it's using. If it's sucking too much juice, we may think about getting a new one.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 29, 2009 02:47PM
If the upright freezer wasn't upright for more than a brief period of time, the coolant (freon or otherwise) would, by force of gravity, migrate away from where it should be. If you tried to have it cool while the coolant had been displaced, it simply wouldn't. After lying a freezer (or refrigerator) down, you should have it in its' proper operating position for several hours so that the coolant can return to where it belongs. Because you were running the compressor, the coolant could not return to its' sump for a super extended time frame. Now that it's working, you'll probably be OK. In the future, either keep such appliances upright during transport or, allow them to stand upright for a few hours before expecting them to work.
Date: May 29, 2009 02:50PM
I had indicated in my original post that after moving it, I left it unplugged for 24 hours before plugging it in and turning it on.
Posted by: billb
Date: May 29, 2009 04:18PM
I bought a non-frost free last Fall and thought it wasn't working right and taking forever to cool off the first night, too.

I think I calculated around 500kwh for the year to run. Whatever the kwh was it calculated out to under $100.00 for the year. Worth it for all the frozen garden stuff I have in it.

I swear it turns on any time I get near it just to spite my wallet though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login