advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I blew up at AT&T support today (India)
Posted by: AAA
Date: June 01, 2009 06:28PM
The internet went out at home. I work from home. So, it matters.
I knew from the many computers (Mac and PC) that all stopped working at the same time, that it was NOT a machine-specific problem.

Long story short, I could not convince the India support person of this, and who only was kind of skilled in WINDOWS PCs.

I was unkind in my words. But I was RIGHT in my assessment.

20 minutes after fuming and cursing, it was back.

I know, FROM EXPERIENCE that their authorization computer/system was down. I've seen it before. But their support number changed. I ONLY wanted them to alert the proper people and to get an ETA (so I could tell my boss). They would not hear of it.

I hung up and did not answer their return calls.

I have not gotten this frustrated in a long time.

Sorry to vent.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I blew up at AT&T support today (India)
Posted by: Black
Date: June 01, 2009 06:32PM
I always seem to get tech people in St. Louis who have no communication skills but know how to assess the technical stuff.
Doesn't halp anything, though.
I get little dropouts like that all the time. Waiting for it to come up is better spent getting up and making some coffee or something.
Does your work require the internet all the time?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: AAA
Date: June 01, 2009 06:39PM
Yes. I connect via VPN, and when it is down, everyone on my team is unable to connect to me (chat), and they can see that I am disconnected. They do not know the reason WHY I am disconnected. So, I have to inform them via phone. Or, use the Dell mini to connect to a neighbors open Wifi and send a message in via old email.

I know, I should just wait, but I want to show my boss that I am truly TRYING to rectify the issue. Or, lest he rethink the work from home thing.
Posted by: Black
Date: June 01, 2009 06:41PM
Well, it seems there's no help to be had from AT&T.
Other options?
Which router do you have? I've got a Belkin I'm starting to suspect . . . time to try a different one.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: DavidS
Date: June 01, 2009 06:45PM
Do you have a business-class line or just residential? Assuming you have residential service, if you were paying for extra support of business class, you MAY get better service. I know that they charge a premium for this (at least Comcast does), but there are better guarantees on it not going down or priority on getting it back up and running if/when it does.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: June 01, 2009 06:46PM
I've found that some of AT&T's support staff are less than knowledgeable, and the way they shuttle you around is maddening. Once, when I was having problems with my wireless router, I must have gone through 4 different support staff who, obviously, were reading from the same script and had no working knowledge of the Mac platform. When my call was finally escalated to a high tier IT person, they solved the issue in seconds. I was really frustrated after the hour-long runaround, but I did manage to stay polite to the workers.

Le po├Ęte doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: June 01, 2009 06:50PM
Been there, done that.
Few things are more frustrating than a tech person who wont deviate from the script & hear what you have to say.

Posted by: hal
Date: June 01, 2009 07:15PM
DaviDC.
Been there, done that.
Few things are more frustrating than a tech person who wont deviate from the script & hear what you have to say.

yes, but having been on the other side, I can tell you that the worst thing you can do is let the customer lead the conversation. Most customers will ramble endlessly with useless info if you let them. It's best to take control of the call and have them do what you tell them to do. VERY rarely the customer will actually know what he's talking about and can cut right to the issue.

HOWEVER, if the support person let EVERYONE ramble on until they pause for air, they'll take 2-3 times longer with each call. It'll take you 2-3 times longer to get off of hold.

When I had a mission critical internet connection, I kept a dialup account - just in case. Used it maybe three times in three years, but it was there.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: June 01, 2009 07:30PM
There's bound to be some middle ground here.

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 01, 2009 08:27PM
We were having intermittent problems with our RCN cable connection here in eastern Massachusetts, for some months.

They sent out a technician, who installed a new modem. Seemed to help, but then the problems resumed.

Finally, when the signal went completely down, they sent out a tech who knew what he was doing. Turned out when our neighbor had switched from RCN to Verizon, the Verizon guy had just cut their cable and left it open to the elements. The RCN tech climbed the pole, terminated the former line to the neighbor's properly, and the service has been terrific ever since.

Apparently this kind of casual sabotage is not uncommon.

I will say that as far as I can tell, RCN tech support calls stay in America; haven't heard any foreign accents.

For a little relief, I recommend a movie we just saw on DVD (via Netflix), called "Outsourced," about a telephone fulfillment operation outsourced to India, and the travails of an American manager sent over to train his Indian successor. It is funny, charming, and a pretty accurate picture of life over there.

Finally, if you really depend on the Internet for your work, I recommend (a) two separate Internet connections (e.g. one cable, one DSL, from different vendors), so if one goes down you've still got the other; or (b) a dedicated T-1 line from a business provider.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 08:28PM by mrlynn.
Comcast sucks too.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 01, 2009 08:37PM
Last time my Comcast email went out (again), I called in and was told by not one, but two different phone support droids, that "Comcast really doesn't support Leopard on the Mac".

When I posted my experience on the Comcast online support forums/boards, the board moderators posted that that was not true...that their support person (well, two of them, on two separate calls) was "misinformed."

Right.

After about 16 hours, our email, and our neighbors' (who have PCs), by some incredible coincidence, came back on.

Just wanted you to know that the grass doesn't seem to be any greener over here.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 01, 2009 09:26PM
I've said it before, and I will say it again... get a business class line. You aren't paying for the level of service you are expecting. There are no guarantees with home service of any uptime or any guarantee of timely estimates. Who do you think they are taking care of first? Everyone with a business line that has 24x7 support and 1 hour onsite contracts.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 01, 2009 09:43PM
Don't feel bad - it's quite likely he didn't understand a single word of your anger-tinged tirade.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: June 01, 2009 10:35PM
RCN uses Filipinos for its support lines.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 01, 2009 10:40PM
i work with 2 or 3 people who USED to work for RCN doing tech support.

must not be too good of a place to work if they all left. i've not heard good stories from them.

---
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: June 02, 2009 06:39AM
If you want a good laugh, watch Outsourced.

[www.imdb.com]
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 02, 2009 02:04PM
So, who has a backup?

Dial-up, cable/DSL/wireless, or cellular for when their primary internet access fails?

If internet access is mission-critical for work, then isn't the expense justified?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 02, 2009 04:31PM
I have cell. It works as a back up but the main reason is because I occasionally need it on the road.

I used to have dial-up but it's long gone; the cell is faster and dial-up modems are gone from most current computers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 259
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018