advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Don't try to fix your printer with white-out
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: June 03, 2009 08:30PM
A couple days ago at work, I got a call from one of our users at a fairly remote field office. He stated that his printer quit working and he needed it fixed.

I directed him to our help desk.

Imagine my surprise, today, when the front desk called me to say that the broken printer guy was here to see me! He had come to town for some other purpose but decided to bring his printer to be looked at.

Before walking him to the help desk, he managed to spill the whole story about his printer.

The printer in question is a 10+ yr old HP laserjet. Apparently, it had been printing streaks on pages for quite a while. His coworker, who shared the printer, was annoyed with the streaks, so she decided to fix it herself.

She inspected the inside of the printer and noticed that a roller had a little chip out of it.

So...

She fixed it with white-out.

According to him, after she "fixed" it, it didn't work at all.

I managed to keep a straight face during the telling of the story. When I took him to the help desk, I stayed a while to make sure he was getting the help he needed. The looks on the faces of the help desk guys - PRICELESS.

The moral of the story is: printers and white-out don't mix.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Don't try to fix your printer with white-out
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 03, 2009 08:35PM
Well duh!

She obviously should have used some black-out! nono smiley

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 03, 2009 08:36PM
Having maintained computer labs for almost 20 years before taking my present job, I suspect if I looked in the mirror I would have the same look on my face. banghead smiley censored smiley banghead smiley censored smiley banghead smiley

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 03, 2009 08:48PM
LOL Harbour...:-)
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: June 03, 2009 10:27PM
ID10T error.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 03, 2009 11:48PM
I guy I knew worked at Wang in the early 80s and in trying to resolve a customer's problem they asked the customer to send them a copy of the floppy so they could try to reproduce it.

What they received from the customer was a Xerox copy of a floppy disk.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: June 04, 2009 07:31AM
Back in the early 80s there was a ComputerCraft store in downtown Houston that catered to business users. One day one of the sales people showed me the 5-1/4" diskette a customer brought in complaining that her drive would not read it. She had stuck a label on it, loaded it into her typewriter, and typed on it. Duh.

Later in the mid to late 80s we had a Mac oriented shop called Computer Desktop that did training, on site rentals and laser printing, repairs, sales, etc. We had one female customer who was particularly obnoxious who bought a hard disk drive. Soon after buying the drive she called complaining that it did not work. We had one of our bright young employees take the call to avoid having to deal with her ourselves. After a lengthy conversation with her he asked if she had plugged in the power cord. She hadn't.
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 04, 2009 09:11AM
You guys are scaring me.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: June 04, 2009 09:13AM
Wang.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: June 04, 2009 02:39PM
[clientcopia.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 04, 2009 04:30PM
Seacrest
Wang.

My mother-in-law used to have a scarf that said WANG on it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 04, 2009 06:05PM
mjgkramer

Later in the mid to late 80s we had a Mac oriented shop called Computer Desktop that did training, on site rentals and laser printing, repairs, sales, etc. We had one female customer who was particularly obnoxious who bought a hard disk drive. Soon after buying the drive she called complaining that it did not work. We had one of our bright young employees take the call to avoid having to deal with her ourselves. After a lengthy conversation with her he asked if she had plugged in the power cord. She hadn't.

she was ahead of her time. She knew one day external drives would be buss-powered.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020