advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Carbon Copy Cloner Question
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: June 05, 2009 08:23PM
I want to clone one hard drive in my G5 to the other in the G5, making a bootable copy of the first drive before I reformat it and do a clean install. When I run CCC 3.1.3 it wants to merge the contents of the first drive with the contents of the second drive, which is not what I want to do. How do I tell it to to just make a clone of the first drive on the second drive? Do I have to pay the shareware fee first to get it to work like I want?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Carbon Copy Cloner Question
Posted by: Doc
Date: June 05, 2009 08:35PM
You're not being clear.

I can't tell whether you want to keep the contents of drive B when you clone the contents of drive A to drive B or whether you want to erase drive B when you clone drive A to drive B.
Date: June 05, 2009 08:42PM
I don't want to disturb the contents of drive B, just make a disk image of drive A on drive B. After doing that I will reformat drive A, install 10.5, and create new accounts with new passwords. I recently bought the machine which now has 10.4 and some wierd account names and passwords I don't know. After finishing the new install, I want to be able to retrieve the applications and other items off the CCC image and put them on the reformatted drive. I have little experience with CCC so am not sure what options to choose to do what I want.
Date: June 05, 2009 08:52PM
So you do not want to make a bootable copy of drive A on drive B?

You just want to save the contents of drive A to a disk image file on drive B?

That's not hard. Select drive A (the boot volume) as your source disk on the left side of the window. On the right side, where it lets you select a target, choose "New Disk Image" from the menu and the regular save-window will pop up.

Choose to save the new disk image onto drive B.

Then click the "Clone" button to start making the clone.

Because it's your first backup onto a newly-created (empty) disk image file, the incremental backup options and the "erase" option are inconsequential and can be safely ignored.
Date: June 05, 2009 08:57PM
Thanks Doc. Sorry to have a bad case of the stupids. I tried it the other day to clone a third (external) drive onto drive A before reformatting the third drive. I accidentally merged it's contents with the contents of drive A. That's another reason I am reformatting and starting over with drive A.
Date: June 06, 2009 08:23AM
I created a disk image, but when I tried to use it was warned that it was damaged and could damage my system if I tried to open it. Back to the drawing board.
Date: June 06, 2009 10:52AM
On first try I made it read only. Tried again making it r/w and same thing. I give up.
Date: June 06, 2009 12:29PM
Is there enough room on the second drive for a complete copy of the contents of the first?
Date: June 06, 2009 12:33PM
Lots of room. 200GB+ about 60GB on the source drive. It goes to completion but then when I try to mount the CCC disk image I get the error message.
Date: June 06, 2009 12:51PM
You're running at least Mac OS X 10.4? (The minimum system requirement.)

And there's no special problem (file or directory corruption) on the original drive?

And the destination drive has a Mac file system on it?

Then I'd try SuperDuper. Failures are rare, but when either CCC or SD doesn't work, I just switch to the other.
Date: June 06, 2009 01:23PM
The source and target drives have OS 10.5.x on them.

Recently bought the system so don't know if there are corruptions or not. I guess I could repair using Disk Utility.

Have not heard of Super Duper.

Thanks.
Date: June 06, 2009 02:18PM
SuperDuper:
[www.shirt-pocket.com]

It's shareware, but the basic features are free.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 244
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020