advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PRE-Post-Mortem: Eleven people line up for Palm Pre’s big debut at Sprint’s flagship Manhattan store
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 06, 2009 09:36AM
[www.macdailynews.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PRE-Post-Mortem: Eleven people line up for Palm Pre’s big debut at Sprint’s flagship Manhattan store
Posted by: decay
Date: June 06, 2009 10:19AM
don't count the Pre out just yet.

it may become more of a success than people think; it has a lot going for it.

---
Re: PRE-Post-Mortem: Eleven people line up for Palm Pre’s big debut at Sprint’s flagship Manhattan store
Posted by: AAA
Date: June 06, 2009 10:25AM
I wish Pre well. Apple needs competition to keep it fresh and honest.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 06, 2009 11:14AM
it may become more of a success than people think

I hope it does because . .

Apple needs competition to keep it fresh and honest.

For what I want from Apple, Apple tends to squish, if not squash or crush the competition. For me, the iPhone 1.0 so far outdistanced my previous cellphone experience, that if it did the same thing to the Pre, I'd be giddy as a Prom Queen with her first football team.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 06, 2009 12:08PM
First Pre post! Beautiful phone. Smooth, slick and easy to use. We were at the San Leandro Sprint store at 7:30 and was #27 in line of about 60 or so. There is still a line of about 20 folks out front. I'm in the parking lot. Still exploring. Palm has a clear winner here. I'll share more after I get home.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 06, 2009 12:36PM
RAMd®d
I'd be giddy as a Prom Queen with her first football team.

Perhaps you need to try the football team anyway and report back?
Posted by: Doc
Date: June 06, 2009 12:43PM
I think the problem here is Sprint, not Palm. Who in his right mind wants to deal with Sprint when they've got trouble with their smartphone? Sprint's never had a real smartphone before (I don't count crippled Blackberries) and knows nothing about supporting them.

Add that on top of the typical 2-4 hours on the phone to resolve ordinary problems with a Sprint rep and it's going to be hellish.

Plus, they sold most of their cell towers so don't expect coverage to be any good unless you live in an area where they share Verizon's network.

But I can see some logic to it.

Stick to the worst service provider for now while you work out the bugs and then sell the mature version like hotcakes via Verizon when the exclusive contract runs out in 6 months.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 06, 2009 01:03PM
If the core PDA Apps (Contacts, Calendar & Notes) are as solid as the original Palm Apps, I'd give it very serious consideration. I'm afraid that if they move to "web based" (aka "Cloud" / "MobileMe" ) type service, it will be the flop that MobileMe is (Apple's MobileMe still sux as far as I'm concerned). I have a fast MBP and, on a broadband connection, the lag is still unacceptable.

I've got my fingers crossed that iPhone 3 software will drag these core PDA Apps back up to the level Palm provided 10 years ago sad smiley .
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 06, 2009 01:16PM
Thanks for the posting with the new Pre, vision63.

Like testcase, I find the terrible PDA functions of the iPhone to be a potential deal-killer. If I had not signed up for a 2 year deal, I would have sent my original iphone (now 23 months' old) back. It was a toy, not a business device, when it was first released.

iPhone 2.0 software with exchange made it a usable but flawed work device.

iPhone 3.0 supposedly with active notes syncing and other tools SHOULD get us almost all the way back. But keep in mind, active notes syncing was promised - and was included in the last beta - of OS X 10.5! It was a feature removed at the last minute in the final gold build.

What the Pre does is demonstrate that getting such software right is NOT impossible on a machine with multisync.

With my iPhone contract expiring, and with my family not happy with either our current non-iPhone AT&T phones, and with Sprint a better cellular carrier in our area - I am following the Pre carefully. I won't be able to make any decision until my company makes a decision on whether to support the Pre via Exchange or not. That kind of lag is going to be across the board for Palm.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: June 06, 2009 02:09PM
"iPhone 3.0 supposedly with active notes syncing and other tools SHOULD get us almost all the way back. But keep in mind, active notes syncing was promised - and was included in the last beta - of OS X 10.5! It was a feature removed at the last minute in the final gold build."

That's insane! I thought effortless synchronization was one of the things Apple's all about so why remove this feature?

I hope the Pre does well also. And thanks jimmypoo for not letting that remark go uncommented upon!

$570 without contract
Posted by: gabester
Date: June 06, 2009 02:16PM
I want a Pre - or any phone upgrade from my Treo 650 which has taken a beating through the years. But I don't want to sign on to a new 2 year contract, I don't want AT&T (thus no iPhone, which is otherwise a perfectly logical choice) and I don't want to pay $570 for the new Pre, which is what the reps at the Sprint store told me today when I asked about an out-of-contract phone.

Isn't the iPhone $600 without contract? If so I guess I could get one of those and jailbreak it to use T-Mobile.
g=
Date: June 06, 2009 02:49PM
I was doing all the stuff everyone wanted with my Palm Centro (with the help of Missing Sync for Palm OS). Notes syncing. Saved "every" text message. Hopefully Missing Sync will develop a "Pre" product.

I disagree that Sprint has never had "smart" phone since I've used the Centro and can't imagine what it could do to be any smarter. The older Palm OS was just to it's end. But it works as well as it ever had. The Centro could copy and paste too. I text a lot and really want to save them, so I'll be waiting for that possibility.

I've been using Sprint for the past 10 years and I've certainly had my issues with them. It took a while for me to "understand" them and now they're the devil I know. They have the best deals going as far as I can tell. They're "everything" plan means "everything." You gotta pay for ring tones and other "merchandise" however. I have 2 lines with them and they're both unlimited so no surprises.

Wifi seems to work well.

Web browsing has improved 100-fold. very similar to the iPhone. I do have a 2nd generation iPod Touch and love it so I can say that it's absolutely comparable. I've perused Palm's new App store and it looks full of stuff, but the first thing I look for is what's free and so far everything is "try me," though I need to explore that more.

They've developed an excellent interface with Amazon's MP3 store so they got that going for them. I still haven't synced the Pre yet. More on that later.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 06, 2009 03:22PM
vision63
First Pre post! Beautiful phone. Smooth, slick and easy to use.

Yes, I'd imagine that in comparison to anything other than the iPhone, it is all those things.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: June 06, 2009 04:03PM
After using a Palm since 93, I switched from a Treo 680 to the iPhone 3G last September.
Not totally satisfied with the pda functions, but all the other apps and functionality kick the Palm's butt. It will be interesting to check out the Pre.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 06, 2009 05:50PM
"Eleven people line up for Palm Pre’s big debut at Sprint’s flagship Manhattan store..."

to me, all this means is that buyers of the Pre are not a bunch of whacked out freaks like mac people...
Posted by: davester
Date: June 06, 2009 06:11PM
The problem with both of these devices is that they are network-centric. In my area, only Verizon and AT&T have really usable coverage, with T-Mobile a mediocre 3rd and Sprint at the bottom of the heap. That makes the pre a complete non-starter no matter how good the hardware is. If you live in a bad AT&T coverage area then obviously the iPhone is a non-starter.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 06, 2009 06:21PM
vision63, what kind of limits does the data plan have, 5 GB/mo?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 06, 2009 07:58PM
Filliam H. Muffman

It's completely unlimited.

I don't too far from you davester and I have great coverage, even in Zerkeley. There's also wifi.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 06, 2009 09:13PM
I agree in disagreeing that Sprint has never had a "real Smart Phone".

I've had my Treo 700p with them for almost 3 years. Sprints coverage has been fabulous everywhere I've gone (greater Philly area where I live, trips to Akron, OH area, central Illinois, and southeast Florida.

Fortunately, I've not had too many serious issues with it which necessitated calling Sprint, but when I have called, I don't believe I've ever had much trouble working with them.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: trisho.
Date: June 06, 2009 11:54PM
Sprint's on a path to killing itself with this phone. My best friend went to the main Harlem store to check it out today and he has one of the Sprint Employee discount plans, SERO, which costs $40 including voice, data & text messaging. They told him they can't connect him there because of his "special plan" and that he would have to call in to a specific number.

So, he calls in and the rep tells him Sprint is not allowing people with his plan to buy the Pre. Anybody with that type of discount has to "upgrade" to a Pre-centric plan and the rep then describes exactly the same plan my friend has only it costs $60. So, my bff corners the rep and asks, "So, what exactly is different about this other plan?". Rep's response, "You know, that's a really good question. I don't really know....Wait, it has GPS. You need that for the Pre." They exchange back and forth but the rep basically tells him, "Well, you're acting like paying an extra $400/year for your phone is a lot of money. That's only about a $1 more per day. That's coffee." My bff's response: "I don't drink coffee." It gets even sillier from there but it boils down to Sprint is not ready for prime time with this and it shows in the way they trained their reps and the actual store staging. There was only ONE Pre in the whole store and it only had a 3 balloons attached at the podium! No extra fan fare or phones to accommodate the rush, nothing.

But yeah, so essentially, Sprint is trying to make a significant portion of their customers pay more for their plans (which match the required phone specs, btw) in a really sh!tty economy instead of just letting them buy the dang phone or resign a 2-year contract with their existing contract. These folks are so shortsighted, it's not even funny.
I'm going to check out the phone either tomorrow or later this week but I plan to wait until September to buy it. By that time, hopefully the following happens:

1. CNET or other places would have put the pressure on Sprint to loosen up about the plans

2. Whatever bugs the software has may have been worked out in a first stage.

3. The price drops because it will then be available on Verizon & the new iPhone will debut.

I'm also a Sprint customer but I have a retention plan that's $40 for 1000 minutes, $5 unlimited text & $10 unlimited data for a total of $55 before taxes. There's no way in heck I'm going to "upgrade" to a more expensive plan just for a phone.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Date: June 07, 2009 12:42AM
They're not gonna loosen up on the plans (at least not anytime soon). It's a phone that's gonna eat up a bunch of data. You got a good deal for $40 bucks. I'd be reluctant too. By September you can probably buy a Pre on Craigslist. I bought my Centro that way. Then you can use it any way you like. I don't think anyone could get your deal now.

Sprint is banking on the only thing that differentiates it from it competition, "Everything" plans that cost less overall. $99 dollars gets you everything. They know what they're doing. This is where their profit is (if they can remember what that is). I'm sure the subsidy for Palm's phone is steep and it's just not worth it for less.

In the past, what poisoned them with their customer base was the "shock" of an unexpectedly large bill due to data charges that the customer didn't understand. Texts, video, picturemail. Huge bills because your kids went beserk "enjoying" the phone.
Date: June 07, 2009 12:44AM
I can confirm that the Pre syncs with iTunes exactly like an iPod. So the recent iTunes update didn't kill that feature. Something tells me that Apple might need Palm to satisfy their European Union detractors.
Posted by: mspace
Date: June 07, 2009 08:42AM
vision63
They're not gonna loosen up on the plans (at least not anytime soon). It's a phone that's gonna eat up a bunch of data. You got a good deal for $40 bucks. I'd be reluctant too. By September you can probably buy a Pre on Craigslist. I bought my Centro that way. Then you can use it any way you like. I don't think anyone could get your deal now.

How would that work? Does that mean I can get someone else's Pre, tell Sprint I'm switching phones and be done with it, keeping my plan the way it is?

Thanks for any info on this . . .
Date: June 07, 2009 09:32AM
mspace
vision63

How would that work? Does that mean I can get someone else's Pre, tell Sprint I'm switching phones and be done with it, keeping my plan the way it is?

Thanks for any info on this . . .

Well right now anyone can buy the Pre by plunking down $500 something dollars and just using it. At some point, people will be selling them for one reason or another on Craigslist. Especially if they switch carriers.
Posted by: mspace
Date: June 07, 2009 09:37AM
vision63

Well right now anyone can buy the Pre by plunking down $500 something dollars and just using it. At some point, people will be selling them for one reason or another on Craigslist. Especially if they switch carriers.

Forgive my lack of "getting it", but how can you "just use it" without a plan or connection to a carrier?
Date: June 07, 2009 10:51AM
mspace
vision63

Forgive my lack of "getting it", but how can you "just use it" without a plan or connection to a carrier?

Sorry. You would have to be a Sprint customer to make use of it. But then you could use it on any plan instead of the selected plans they require in order to get the $199 (after rebate) version.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 07, 2009 11:01AM
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

I would not believe that statement unless I had the CEO of Sprint sign my contract in his own blood in front of Congress. Or is this part of their new WiMax MIMO network so I can stream HD video to a phone (my dreams from two years ago come true)? Do they allow tethering?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 07, 2009 11:20AM
Filliam H. Muffman
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

I would not believe that statement unless I had the CEO of Sprint sign my contract in his own blood in front of Congress. Or is this part of their new WiMax MIMO network so I can stream HD video to a phone (my dreams from two years ago come true)? Do they allow tethering?

I couldn't tell you that. I don't believe tethering is supported on the Pre as of yet. I believe Sprint sells that as a separate product so I doubt that it would be included. I thought I could get free ring tones when I first got the plan.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 07, 2009 12:47PM
trisho.
Sprint's on a path to killing itself with this phone. My best friend went to the main Harlem store to check it out today and he has one of the Sprint Employee discount plans, SERO, which costs $40 including voice, data & text messaging. They told him they can't connect him there because of his "special plan" and that he would have to call in to a specific number.

So, he calls in and the rep tells him Sprint is not allowing people with his plan to buy the Pre. Anybody with that type of discount has to "upgrade" to a Pre-centric plan and the rep then describes exactly the same plan my friend has only it costs $60. So, my bff corners the rep and asks, "So, what exactly is different about this other plan?".
I'm also a Sprint customer but I have a retention plan that's $40 for 1000 minutes, $5 unlimited text & $10 unlimited data for a total of $55 before taxes. There's no way in heck I'm going to "upgrade" to a more expensive plan just for a phone.

Like it or not, Sprint is simply trying to make more money and they see the Pre as a vehicle for that. How many people on other carriers do you think are paying <$50/month for plans with generous minutes, text and data?

Also, the SERO plan stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. I think it was originally intended for friends and family of Sprint employees but through some of the deal sites the cat really got out of the bag. Did your friend get the plan directly from a Sprint employee? I also have read that SERO is dead now anyway, so maybe Sprint is taking advantage of phone upgraders to clear out some legacy SERO plans.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 07, 2009 01:15PM
vision63
I can confirm that the Pre syncs with iTunes exactly like an iPod. So the recent iTunes update didn't kill that feature. Something tells me that Apple might need Palm to satisfy their European Union detractors.

It might work now, but it's doing so by fooling iTunes into thinking that its an ipod. I would not be surprised if the next version of iTunes doesn't support the Pre.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 07, 2009 02:11PM
macphanatic
vision63

It might work now, but it's doing so by fooling iTunes into thinking that its an ipod. I would not be surprised if the next version of iTunes doesn't support the Pre.

If it really is acting like an iPod, it would be very hard for Apple to break the Pre without also breaking their own iPods.

Posted by: ADent
Date: June 08, 2009 02:48AM
AllGold
If it really is acting like an iPod, it would be very hard for Apple to break the Pre without also breaking their own iPods.

They have already looked at it. It reports to be an iPod, but if you look at the USB root node type it is Palm Pre. Not too hard to break.

Article -> [nanocr.eu]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020