advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Terminal gurus - why does this happen and how can I fix it?
Posted by: olnacl
Date: June 06, 2009 09:43AM
I have 2 external drives connected to my AEBS via USB named Time Machine and Share. I also have a Disk Image named Pioneer on the Time Machine drive.
The following files are listed in the finder for the Time Machine drive (I use it for backup of three Macs):

MacBook_001b63a5f1c4,sparsebundle
MacBookPro_001ff3d3b0f6.sparsebundle
Mini9Mac_002170cde921.sparsebundle
Pioneer.dmg

When I do an ls in terminal, here's what's seen: (The MBP drive has 2 partitions and I have a second external drive named Share attached to the AEBS) (Excuse the spacing - I have it lined up nicely but when it translates to the actual post, the forum software removes the extra spaces)

MacBookPro:volumes richard$ ls
MacBook Pro XP Pioneer 1 TimeMachine TimeMachine-2
MacBookPro Pioneer 2 TimeMachine 1 TimeMachine-3
Pioneer Share TimeMachine-1

When I mount the Pioneer Disk Image and do an ls in terminal, here's what's seen:

MacBookPro:volumes richard$ ls
MacBook Pro XP Pioneer 1 Share TimeMachine-1
MacBookPro Pioneer 2 TimeMachine TimeMachine-2
Pioneer Pioneer 3 TimeMachine 1 TimeMachine-

Some software I use lists the volumes, and includes all those shown above. I can write to either Pioneer 2 or Pioneer 3 and In the finder "Pioneer" shows the contents of "Pioneer 3"

Any idea what is happening to see the multiple volumes, and how to fix it? I've repaired permissions on the MBP several times, ran disk repair with the Time Machine drive connected directly to the MBP.I also ran disk repair on the mounter "Pioneer" volume.
I suspect it has to do with occasionally connecting the Time Machine drive directly to the MBP for backup purposes (Contents of the Pioneer disk image changes periodically and I back it up much more quickly attached directly than over the network). However, I do the same with the "Share" drive and that does not have multiple entries in the Volumes directory.

This certainly is a puzzlement!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Terminal gurus - why does this happen and how can I fix it?
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 06, 2009 12:14PM
Ya lost me.

I understand Terminal, but I'm not sure I understand what the problem is.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 06, 2009 12:47PM
The UnDoug
Ya lost me.

Obviously you are not a GURU then.

Do you even wear the traditional clothing?

Posted by: testcase
Date: June 06, 2009 12:56PM
I'm glad I'm not the only who doesn't understand the question! dunno smiley

The UnDoug
Ya lost me.

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 06, 2009 01:09PM
olnacl
MacBook_001b63a5f1c4,sparsebundle
MacBookPro_001ff3d3b0f6.sparsebundle
Mini9Mac_002170cde921.sparsebundle
Pioneer.dmg
This certainly is a puzzlement!

When you solve this, the answer will become clear.

Posted by: Doc
Date: June 06, 2009 01:12PM
So, you're looking in the /Volumes folder and see extra drives there?

Unmount all volumes other than your boot volume, go to the /Volumes folder in the Finder (using the "Go to folder" command in the "Go" menu) and tell us what you see.
Date: June 06, 2009 01:44PM
Doc
So, you're looking in the /Volumes folder and see extra drives there?

Unmount all volumes other than your boot volume, go to the /Volumes folder in the Finder (using the "Go to folder" command in the "Go" menu) and tell us what you see.

Done:

I deleted the volume "Pioneer 2" which I mentioned in the original post.

For those that didn't understand my question, I'm seeing more volumes when I do a "ls" in terminal than I have, as shown in the finder, obviously duplicate entries. I'd like to know why they appear, how to eliminate them and prevent their reoccurrence.

I shut down the MBP, disconnected both external drives (Share and Time Machine) booted the MBP and unmounted the MacBook Pro XP partition. Here is what is I see:

From Finder "Go"
Same as posted above

From Terminal

Can I safely delete the extraneous volumes: Pioneer, Pioneer 1, Share, Time Machine, Time Machine1, Time Machine2, and Time Machine3? Interestingly, Pioneer and Pioneer 1 appear to be locked.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2009 02:09PM by olnacl.
Posted by: Doc
Date: June 06, 2009 02:12PM
Anything that's not an alias doesn't belong there. Look through each folder carefully and make sure that there's nothing in there that you want to keep, then trash 'em.

Usually, such folders appear when a volume is unmounted or otherwise becomes unavailable in the middle of a backup-operation when the backup software isn't smart enough to check for the presence of the legit volume. The backup is completed, but the remaining files end up in folders in the /Volumes directory instead of on the backup drive.

CCC and SD used to do it occasionally, but the authors came up with fixes. I haven't seem either one do it for well over a year. Maybe more like 2 years.

Nowadays, the only backup software that I know of that does it is SilverKeeper. (One of many reasons that I tell people not to use SilverKeeper.)
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: June 06, 2009 02:14PM
Working in the Terminal is not something I enjoy having to do.
Things got much easier once I learned the joys of drag & drop text clippings. Far fewer typos & you can build impressive commands using this method. At least impressive for a n00b such as myself.

Date: June 06, 2009 02:58PM
Doc
Anything that's not an alias doesn't belong there. Look through each folder carefully and make sure that there's nothing in there that you want to keep, then trash 'em.

Usually, such folders appear when a volume is unmounted or otherwise becomes unavailable in the middle of a backup-operation when the backup software isn't smart enough to check for the presence of the legit volume. The backup is completed, but the remaining files end up in folders in the /Volumes directory instead of on the backup drive.

CCC and SD used to do it occasionally, but the authors came up with fixes. I haven't seem either one do it for well over a year. Maybe more like 2 years.

Nowadays, the only backup software that I know of that does it is SilverKeeper. (One of many reasons that I tell people not to use SilverKeeper.)

Doc, that sounds like the situation. SD doesn't play well with these two external drives and I've had failures using DataBackup. I checked; the directories were empty and I deleted them. Issue solved. Thanks for the guidance and the explanation.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 06, 2009 03:15PM
Doc
Usually, such folders appear when a volume is unmounted or otherwise becomes unavailable in the middle of a backup-operation when the backup software isn't smart enough to check for the presence of the legit volume.

Right--the deadly "phantom mount point."

It was the reason I abandoned Deja Vu.
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: June 06, 2009 05:46PM
do I win anything?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 162
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020