advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Special treat for our family
Posted by: kap
Date: June 06, 2009 11:07AM
Finally we are going to have a home cooked steak dinner. Well, the steaks will be for my S/O and the dogs, I'll stick with tofu. The occasion: our senior dog is looking/acting/feeling his age, we just don't know when it's his time and we don't want to feel guilty for never giving him a worthy treat ... he has never tasted real meat. S/O wants round steak (her words). What kind of steak should we get for the dogs and how to cook for them? These are 13 lbs Yorkie/Schnauzer and 6 lb Yorkoodle.

SoCal for now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2009 11:08AM by kap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Special treat for our family
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 06, 2009 11:20AM
Well, here's my opinion:

You give them a very small amount of the scraps off of your S/O's steak. They're small dogs and unused to rich food, so if you're not careful, the treat for the dogs will turn into a massive clean up project for you. Louie likes his steak cooked any way I choose, but he's a 75 pound boy and is limited to about one quarter cup maximum, and that's when I'm feeling very generous. Dogs are carnivores, but they also are similar to humans in that that there is the risk that any rich food they're not accustomed to eating will upset their digestive system. Even shifting the kind of dog food they're fed should be done gradually for best outcome. If you want the dogs to have a treat and not make them sick, go easy.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 06, 2009 12:43PM
Echo above --- I hear constantly from those with mutts - that despite vet advice and best intentions
that changing the fiber constant as a meal, will, just like with us (go eat a triple bowl of FiberOne and
get back to us!) - will result in bloody stool, etc., etc., and that's exactly what happens.

Why not just treat it to regular dog food with steak juice instead? If you're making a good quantity or
use indoor broiler, you can collect it all, and still not substantially change the diet.

Thus the secret behind "Tuna-Juicing" the kitty food.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 06, 2009 12:55PM
I agree with the small serving until you know how they handle it. I would give them an amount of steak that at most is about a quarter of the weight of their regular meal. Maybe dice it up pretty fine to make sure they did not gulp down in one hunk.

A friend had a Great Dane that was a very picky eater. It loved the packaged sliced cheese "food." If they fed it more than a slice it would not eat the dry food. They ended up having to dice it up in little pieces and mix it in with the dry. If the pieces were too big, the dog would pick them out and leave the rest.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: kap
Date: June 06, 2009 12:59PM
Thanks for advice Alpha.
Filliam, both our dogs are the same way. We have to dice the carrots and broccoli into small pieces otherwise they are tossed aside.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2009 01:01PM by kap.
Posted by: AAA
Date: June 06, 2009 01:46PM
My dog only gets the same dog food. Our vet says she is the healthiest dog he sees. Her poops are nice and well formed and she rarely has any issues unless seh eats something she finds in the yard. Just my two cents on my experience.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 06, 2009 03:21PM
AAA
Her poops are nice and well formed...

If you say so.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 06, 2009 11:40PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020