advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So what's the cheapest iPhone plan now?
Posted by: Doc
Date: June 08, 2009 04:31PM
Standard plan for the 3G was $69.99/month for 450/5000 minutes with "unlimited" data plus $5 for 200 text messages and a $36 activation charge.

Is there a cheaper plan available?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So what's the cheapest iPhone plan now?
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 08, 2009 04:38PM
I don't think so.

Apple is missing a huge opportunity here, I think. Lots of people would get an iPhone, but don't want/need a $70/mo full data plan (and would like another choice besides AT+T).

As one of these people (and an AAPL stockholder), this is starting to piss me off.
Date: June 08, 2009 04:43PM
Also, what's the total with taxes and fees?

$90? More?
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: June 08, 2009 04:46PM
My monthly total is $67 including taxes, fees for the 450 min / unlimited data / no text plan. I get a 10% corporate discount which effectively pays for the taxes etc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 08, 2009 04:51PM
I get a 25% corporate discount which pays for the extra $10 for 3G data and the $5 for 200 texts.

I didn't bother with the 3G because of the extra costs, but now that at&t is giving corporate discounts, I'm in the queue for a 3GS.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: June 08, 2009 05:10PM
Cheapest? Talk to the hand!
Posted by: davester
Date: June 08, 2009 05:10PM
pdq
Apple is missing a huge opportunity here, I think. Lots of people would get an iPhone, but don't want/need a $70/mo full data plan (and would like another choice besides AT+T).

I don't think Apple is missing anything they have any control over. AT&T are in control of the data plan pricing, Apple had to agree to the AT&T exclusivity terms to get the phone launched, and in any case, there are few choices of US carrier other than AT&T who can use a GSM phone. GSM is the only way to get into the world market since the technologies of Verizon etc are not used much outside the US. They'd have to manufacture completely new phone hardware to go to Verizon, etc, and the carrier would need to implement new voicemail methods to deal with visual voicemail. It'll probably happen someday but AT&T is going to be the only game in town for a while.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: June 08, 2009 05:22PM
Some of the most affordable plans are enjoyed those of us using TMobile with our unlocked phones. Bypassing their official data plan, and using a sort of backdoor to TMobile's network (courtesy of a free utility installable on jailbroken iPhones) to get web access via cell, but for only the added $4.99. Like a mini-data plan, but employed as though it were a full service one.

I primarily connect via WiFi, since I live in an abundant free WiFi region, but it's great to know when I'm traveling I can access the web without it, too. Not a fast connection, but faster than I'd expect for five bucks a month. I switched from a RAZR to an iPhone about two years ago, and love my unlocked iPhone. My annual service costs are dramatically lower than AT&T customer iPhone users, a savings of over a thousand dollars by now, I'm sure, and more to come. TMobile unofficially supports iPhones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 05:26PM by guitarist.
Posted by: edgarbc1
Date: June 08, 2009 05:47PM
guitarist
Some of the most affordable plans are enjoyed those of us using TMobile with our unlocked phones. Bypassing their official data plan, and using a sort of backdoor to TMobile's network (courtesy of a free utility installable on jailbroken iPhones) to get web access via cell, but for only the added $4.99. Like a mini-data plan, but employed as though it were a full service one.

I primarily connect via WiFi, since I live in an abundant free WiFi region, but it's great to know when I'm traveling I can access the web without it, too. Not a fast connection, but faster than I'd expect for five bucks a month. I switched from a RAZR to an iPhone about two years ago, and love my unlocked iPhone. My annual service costs are dramatically lower than AT&T customer iPhone users, a savings of over a thousand dollars by now, I'm sure, and more to come. TMobile unofficially supports iPhones.

tell me more, tell me more!
>> Was it love at first sight?

Tell me more, tell me more!
>> Is it hard to jailbreak an iPhone for T-mobile?

Uh-huh-uh-huh-uh-huh-uh-huh
Posted by: AAA
Date: June 08, 2009 05:55PM
for the life of me I don't see how people afford these things. Unless they live with their parents.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 08, 2009 06:11PM
for the life of me I don't see how people afford these things. Unless they live with their parents

You're kidding, right?

How much does a new Glock and a years worth, say-- just 5000rnds of ammo cost?

Not that much cheaper, and for better or worse, the 'Phone will probably get a lot more use than the Glock.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 08, 2009 06:29PM
the 'Phone will probably get a lot more use than the Glock.

ehem. one never knows. perhaps AAA lives in Baghdad or or ones of them stans.

Don't think the T has coverage there or there.
Date: June 08, 2009 06:35PM
I have to agree, what people pay for the privilege of instant communication would make our parents generation dizzy. In about five years, you'll have spent four, five, six grand, just for this convenience. And look back, with nothing to show, except that you got to do some browsing and chatter, and use some neat apps. If you're part of a company, and some of this is subsidized, then it's easier. But for a regular individual consumer, this premium-grade lifestyle is still out of reach for most folks.

I hope the cost of data plans come down, not unlike the cost of computers came down, over the last two decades, while offering more service and power, I hope competition and faster networks drive down the costs. The current cost of data plans keeps iPhones (and smart phones in general) out of the reach of a lot of low and middle income customers.
Date: June 08, 2009 06:44PM
RAMd®d
for the life of me I don't see how people afford these things. Unless they live with their parents

You're kidding, right?

How much does a new Glock and a years worth, say-- just 5000rnds of ammo cost?

Not that much cheaper, and for better or worse, the 'Phone will probably get a lot more use than the Glock.

That's not me in the photo.
I don't have a new glock.
I don't have 5000 rounds of ammo.
I don't have cable TV.
I don't have a cell phone with a contract.
I don't have a passport.
I understand how single, DINKs, retired, etc. can do that. Maybe. But not me. smiling smiley Nor do I see it in my future.
I likely will not go on any vacation this year.
blah blah blah.... smiling smiley

During the chatstravaganza that was WWDC today, one of my coworkers (Single, always has been, no kids, never will) said he could not understand paying $50/month either. We just guessed $50 a month as an outrageous amount. I guess it might be HIGHER? Woah!
Date: June 08, 2009 06:52PM
AAA, how do you connect to the internet, with tin cans and string? You live on Top Ramen, mac & cheese, antenna TV, never leave the USA, but can afford Apple computers?
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 08, 2009 06:56PM
The same could be said about high speed internet access at home, though, too. How many of us *really* need DSL and cable modem speed? We like it and as long as we can afford it, we want it.

You don't have to use a computer at all...or calculators or microwaves....

We could join the Amish or Luddites or whatever.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Date: June 08, 2009 07:03PM
My job requires me to VPN in and they pay for it. That is phone/ADSL. Even with THAT I have never paid for nor had CallerID, Call waiting, whatever else comes with phones nowadays. And I could even have gotten those features for free when I worked in management for AT&T, but did not. (Plan A on the reimbursement schedule). People still pause when I ask for their number when they call. (Don't you HAVE IT?) No, I don't have your number!

When I was partners in a nice website, they paid for internet access, too. I was one of the first cable internet guys to get hooked up here. And guess what, that did not include TV (Cable) because it was not paid for by the website.

Oh, I save up for my Macs, but likely never will again with the Dell option. And I always get super deals. I had my next door neighbor mention casually in a conversation that he and his wife went to some local steakhouse and spent over $100 on dinner. My jaw about hit the floor. We do go to rally's for $69 hamburgers for the kids. I took my kids to the 50¢ theaters this summer. smiling smiley I am selling my work anniversary/service present for the money. I try to not be someone whom others will have to 'bail out'. So far so good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 07:06PM by AAA.
Date: June 08, 2009 07:26PM
Oh, I save up for my Macs, but likely never will again with the Dell option.

Oh, we believe you.

boink smiley
Posted by: thermarest
Date: June 08, 2009 08:33PM
edgarbc1

Tell me more, tell me more!
>> Is it hard to jailbreak an iPhone for T-mobile?

Uh-huh-uh-huh-uh-huh-uh-huh

Uh, not really. Without help from someone who's done it before, maybe 2 hrs including a bunch of google searching. With a helping hand or your 2nd phone, like 15 minutes.
Date: June 08, 2009 08:49PM
For those of you using iPhones with other providers, where'd you get the phones and how much did you pay?

I'm an AT&T customer already, but I have an ancient (cheap) out-of-contract plan that I don't want to surrender.

If I felt confident that I could get a new iPhone at a reasonable price and swap in my SIM to use my existing voice and data plan, I'd do it.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: June 08, 2009 09:01PM
I paid $350 via Craigslist for an 8GB 3G in near-new condition. Its a lot and it sounds like too much, but it was at the lower end of the going market rate at the time (3 months ago).

It was similar in $ cost and less hassle than another method I considered, which was "buy the phone and the contract, wait 30-days, cancel contract, pay fee." Lots of hassle, and if I remember right it all added up to $385. This is still much less than AT&T was charging for no-contract phones, which I think was $599.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 08, 2009 09:46PM
Fritz
the 'Phone will probably get a lot more use than the Glock.

ehem. one never knows. perhaps AAA lives in Baghdad or or ones of them stans.

Don't think the T has coverage there or there.

yeah, BUT I'd rather have that Glock and have practiced with the 5000 rds, than rely on a 911 call with my iPhone during a mugging/robbery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 09:47PM by Racer X.
Date: June 08, 2009 09:58PM
The good news is, the current apps that do the unlocking/jailbreaking are a lot more automated, sophisticated, and convenient than when we first started doing it. Two years ago, it was still a sweaty experience. With improved development, the tools are more comfortable to use. It's so smooth and standardized that it looks almost like a semi-official Apple App, or at least as casual and friendly as a familiar third-party App.

But I would add that if A. it's the first time you're doing it, or B. you have virtually no experience using anything but official commercial software products, of course it'll be a bit uneasy. But only the first time or two, then it feels less challenging, and increasingly more secure.

[www.quickpwn.com]

Keep in mind, not just any carrier is iPhone-ready. TMobile (at least in our region) is the only one I know of that automatically works with iPhones.

In my case, I already had a TMobile account. So, following instructions, I went to an AT&T Store to buy a first gen iPhone, with the recommended serial number, and did not have to sign up for anything. The followed instructions on this (highly recommended) site:

[www.hackthatphone.com]

...for the unlocking and jailbreaking. All in all, much easier than expected. Especially since I already had my RAZR's TMobile SIM card.

Since the subsequent generation phones came out, it became harder to get a brand new phone with no contract, but buying used iPhones is fairly easy, and will be even easier now that people will be rushing to buy the even newer ones.

What about unlocking/jailbreaking the newest iPhone hardware? I expect it'll be accomplished in record time, unless there are some unseen barriers.

Do you already have TMobile?
Posted by: geon
Date: June 09, 2009 01:03AM
Initially, I thought that this was the one I would get, but then I thought about it a bit and came to my senses. I'll stick with my $100/year tracfone and buy more guns and ammo. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 01:04AM by geon.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 09, 2009 03:52AM
With a government discount, on the least expensive plan, I'm paying $67 / month including taxes. I'm in NY. I didn't take a messaging plan (it really pisses me off when some moron sends me a BS message that I have to pay $0.20 for. I don't think I've ever received information that I thought was worth $0.20. sad smiley My "Rollover account has thousands of minutes in it. I'm also pissed that I'm not allowed to Tether my iPhone to my 17" MBP and use some of these minutes when I can't find an open WiFi connection.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 09, 2009 04:07AM
Racer X
yeah, BUT I'd rather have that Glock and have practiced with the 5000 rds, than rely on a 911 call with my iPhone during a mugging/robbery.

Muggers/Robbers/Bushwhackers let you call 911 in Seattle? Cool!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018